• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver recommendations

I haven't owned a revolver since I was 20 (a very long time ago) and now I find myself wanting one as a backup carry.

I'm looking for something small, preferably coat pocket small, lightweight, +p and in 38 special/9mm. $600 tops.

If I buy used, what should I be looking for in wear?

Suggestions?

Sent from the depths of Hell using TapaTalk

Come on guys I'm serious. I'm not going to hunt Grizzly with it. I just want a small, light revolver as a backup.

The S&W 442 looks good as does the LCR 9. Still looking around though.

Sent from the depths of Hell using TapaTalk

S&W Airweight. 5 shot .38 with bobbed hammer. Put a Crimson Trace grip on it.

It won't be a pleasure to shoot, but it's easy enough to carry, won't snag, and will get the job done.

I like my LCR .38. Good trigger for DAO and pleasant enough to shoot with the Hogue Tamer grips. Which brings me to my issue with it - the Hogue Tamers feel good and make the lightweight gun comfortable enough to shoot, but they are kind of big and made of a grippy material which can make drawing from a pocket tricky. Ruger makes a smaller "boot" grip for it, though I have no experience with it. Eagle grips also make what appears to be a really nice wood grip, though pricey at $90-$110. I recently picked up a nice G26 and haven't been using the LCR nearly as much. I go back and forth on whether it's worth keeping now that I have the G26.

I'd say S&W's 642 or 442, get one used in good shape. Proven and reliable. The new Rugers are probably good as are the new S&W Bodyguards but the 642/442 are plentiful and don't cost a bundle especially used.

If you buy a Smith, get one WITHOUT a frame lock. J-frames are rock solid and used are a better value than new.

I just got a Smith 617' not suitable for carry, but I found some good YouTube vids to help me know what to look out for, worth a look.

Come on guys I'm serious. I'm not going to hunt Grizzly with it....

You can't hunt Grizzly with an Alaskan.

(B'sides--don't you have a 9mm for that?!?)

By "backup" I assume you mean "already used up three mags of fifteen rounds in another firearm."

The Alaskan only has a six-round cylinder. That IS a backup! [smile]

Any j frame smith will fit the bill as well as a ruger lcr. But.......you might want to check out a ruger sp 101 before you go for the super small revolvers. It is slightly larger than the j frames and lcrs......in a good way if you like to shoot 357 mag as an option.

I bought a used J frame air weight in .38 special +P for $300.00 used last month.

It looked unfired, many people buy them and turn them over. There is one in the classifieds now.

Great little carry guns IMO.

I bought a used J frame air weight in .38 special +P for $300.00 used last month.

It looked unfired, many people buy them and turn them over. There is one in the classifieds now.

Great little carry guns IMO.

j frames get carried often and shot little......no problem with that at all. They make great close up defense handguns.

ruger LCR. awesome trigger out of the box. needs no 'smithing. if it feels to snappy get the LCR 357 version it's substantially heavier.

S&W 442/642 also great. i've never owned one but fired them plenty and also fantastic but by the time i'm done with getting the trigger job i could have purchased an LCR with a lasermax or whatever other accessories.

if you get an LCR checkout the bootgrip....it makes the LCR absurdly small and easy to carry.

I have a stainless steel Smith .357 model 649 bodyguard that I like a lot. Bit heavier than alloy but honestly I don't know that its there when I carry IWB. I added a XS Big Dot front sight and lazer grips for night carry. Loaded with .38 +p it's an adequate small carry piece.

Back
Top Bottom