• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver Grip Question

Yesterday I got the chance to fondle an LCR. I did not hold it real long, as I did not intend to buy (but wanted to); one thing I noticed that it seemed like it was a bit of a distance to get my finger on the trigger where I wanted it--I shoot rimfire, and so far, I like have my joint on the trigger rather than finger pad. But, I didn't dry fire it nor fire it for real.

So, my question is, do most 38 caliber revolvers have a reach like the LCR? Or is there a big difference in reach between the smallest and largest frames?

I really do not know a exact answer to your question. However I'd bet both the frame size and the many grips available have alot to do with the trigger finger position in the end, positioning your trigger finger in different spots on the trigger. I never liked the traditional factory grips on most revolvers myself. Then again i've only had S&Ws. Taruses look nice with their rubber grips. just sayin......

To throw all revolvers into a single category would be impossible when it comes to reach. Every model of revolver within a manufacturer is different as well as every similar model of a revolver from another manufacturer is different.

My suggestion is just to keep fondling revolvers until you find one that is the right feel for you. Keep in mind too, you can always change grips on a revolver and a semi-auto to completely change the feel as well.

Lastly, you live in the land of the free, your options are almost endless. Keep searching.

The Ruger LCR and S&W J frame snubbies are very small revolvers with very small frames/grips. There are grip options, I have a Crimson trace laser grip on my S&W 340PD. I have the larger of the 2 grip models as these guns are a real handful to hang on to.... and with the slightly larger grip it is more comfortable to shoot. And with the laser - I will not be worried about trying to find the sights.

I haven't tried a laser (nor a snubbie) yet, but I do like the idea of the both. Someday I will have to rent one at MFL (maybe this winter when it is too cold to shoot outside) or maybe I'll luck out and find a friend with one. Anyhow, given the long trigger on a DAO I'm concerned about pulling shots on a infrequently used gun, or, in the LCR case, not fully returning the trigger. I'll have to "refondle" it again in the future, and try a dry fire.

Back
Top Bottom