• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

[Review] jmjkd: 'De-escalating force on force'

• Thread starter Deleted member 12999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12999

Posting this in survival forum, as that's where Joe seems to post most of his stuff

So… I took a class with jmjkd. He was teaching at an LE conference, so I reached out. I like to think I am open-minded, and that there is a world beyond the internet. I told him I’d post a quick review on NES… because NES. Hahaha. I don’t think he translates very well on the internet, so he had a little rough start here (including me busting his balls on occasion), but the internet sucks anyways. I have my Black Belt in Parker Kenpo, so I know just enough to be a danger to myself. I suck at grappling.

I’m a man of my word, so here are my thoughts:

1. You’re a spaz Joe! And I mean that in the most respectful way it can be taken. I haven’t seen an instructor that passionate about his students, and genuinely excited when they get something right in a long time. He’s got a hell of a lot more energy than me, and I’ve got 20 years on him. Chris was no slouch either! (He wrestled the entire class one after another)

2. He was teaching a room full of cops. Cops are the worst students on the planet. The fact that 90% of them stayed after the long break says something. It says that they saw value in what he had to offer. Giving anything longer than a 2 minute water break will cut a class in half generally… LOL

3. Common sense and down to earth. I don’t know how many gunfighting classes people have gone to, but you get a different sense from people who have fired shots in anger or defense of this nation. The same thing happens with martial arts. There are people who you can tell are fighters… no matter what their discipline. Joe has a very strong Jeet Kune Do influence, and you can definitely see it come through, but my impression is that the guy can fight. Take that however you want, I’ve been in enough fights, and like to think I have a pretty good BS detector. He’s fast, and he hits hard, and his stuff made sense in the context of a street fight.

4. He had a good balance of explanation, demonstration, and then experience. We all had plenty of time to work the skills, and he had no problem letting you slap him around to fix any holes. I didn’t really understand the whole picture of his class until the end, but he all brought it around full circle. The skills that he taught were easily grafted and blended with each other so that they made sense in the flow of a fight.

5. My only criticism would be to slow down just a wee bit in the presentation. Also, knowing your audience, tailor it a bit more to the tools available, and maybe mandate that guys have training guns. I think the average NESr would be curious as to the transition from hand to hand to firearms. Integrate that more. There were so many times I would have transitioned to gun or knife, but didn't think it was kosher because no one else was.

I’m tired, and not a professional reviewer. All I can say is that I would have no problem spending money on his training and time. He’s a really nice guy, moves well, and knows what he is talking about.
Next time we meet Joe, I’ll have to teach you how to shoot, that way I don’t feel like a tool while you toss me around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roland thanks for the nice review, but really you and the guys deserve the credit for the great class. All the guys were no-nonsense, rugged and full of enthusiasm and that set the tone. All I did was bring the tests to the lab for the guys to experiment. When you get a good group that asked good question and solves problems as a team, my job is easy.

Regarding the material taught. The theme of this class was to de-escalate the resistance, but I showed a ton of ways to escalate it and cause severe damage to the offender without deploying a weapon.. No need to shoot someone if you didn't have to. The officer's needed to legitimately know when they were winning the fight or losing the fight and have a legal leg to stand on when they do respond.

With that said, to transition from H2H to weapons would be the next natural step, be it a blade or firearm. To make this transition smooth and REAL one would need a good H2H base so you would feel the holes in the fight flow to time the deployment. Cops have certain rules and procedure they have to follow, but the NES'ers are free to do what ever it takes to save themselves and their family.

What people need to know is that they can train in real time with a resisting opponent, go hard with out stationary forms or solo kata. If you noticed no one stood isolated fake punching and kicking in the air, we trained for 4 hrs, always with a resisting opponent no one got hurt and at the end everyone felt like they were in a real fight. This is the modern day way to train, this type of training is not based on a particular style or way. But rather it's based on each individual's strengths and weaknesses, that's why I have to train personally with everyone and feel what works best for each guy and let them experience first hand what it feels like to have me do it to them and no the truth. Everyone is different and it's all about how each one uses the own body tools.

Once again thanks to Rolland for being part of the group, btw I never met Rolland until this class, and it's always good for you guys to hear from a fellow NES'er to keep things on the up in up.
I you folks have any question feel free to post them here or maybe on the training section.
Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom