• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review - Custom Rifle Swinging Target

After a question on the member side about a swinging target able to withstand 5.56, I was contacted by a member here, cerberus. He has a side thing where he builds pistol swinging targets. He thought he could get one built that would stand up to the rigors of 5.56. We talked delivery and pricing, all handled professionally. He came up with the concept, I placed a down payment so he could begin the build. Along the way he provided updates and progress via communication and pics.

Can be seen here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb.../209131-custom-rife-swinger-target-build.html

He completed the project in the desired time for the desired price. We talked about delivering the target, he drove from his home, to the range where I am a member, not a 10 minute jaunt for him because he wanted to see firsthand how it performed.

He arrived, we went over how to set the target up, then walked it down range.

target_01.jpg target_01-1.jpg

After thumping on it for a bit, another walk down range was in order to check out how the target fared

target_02.jpg

Considering what the target was up against it did rather well

Now, this is not indestructible, I understand that, there are clips, bolts and framework, that if they take a hit will need to be replaced or repaired. That is not an issue with the design in as much as a result of a 3,000 fps projectile being hurled at the target.

All in all I am very pleased with the result and happy I made this purchase.

side note to mods, if this is in the wrong place, please relocate it to the proper location

Excellent, thanks for the update. I saw the other thread where this was mentioned, and was hoping for a range report to see how it held up. Were you running the green tip m855's?

No, green tip/steel core not recommended nor any closer than 100 yds

FMJ .223 and 5.56 is what was used on this yesterday

Excellent, thanks for the update. I saw the other thread where this was mentioned, and was hoping for a range report to see how it held up. Were you running the green tip m855's?

No, green tip/steel core not recommended nor any closer than 100 yds

FMJ .223 and 5.56 is what was used on this yesterday

I figured, but you never know unless you ask.[laugh] Would be pretty impressive it fended off the green tips that well!

Back
Top Bottom