• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from Out of State.......

boston_007

NES Member
Ok, just for sharts and giggles I decided to email company XXXXX and inquire about purchasing a reloading component from them; unprimed brass. This is the first response I have ever received from any company regarding sales to MA and being bored I decided to share.

From Company XXXXXXXXXXX

I'm sorry,
There is a problem. Your DA has prosecuted company's on a 100 year old law
that does not allow us to send components to MA without a FFL on file.
We know several companies that have been sued since 1994 from your DA. Our
Company can not afford a law suit. That is why we do not ship to MA. We
wish we could.
We hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Kay
I'm sorry,
There is a problem. Your DA has prosecuted company's on a 100 year old law
that does not allow us to send components to MA without a FFL on file.
We know several companies that have been sued since 1994 from your DA. Our
Company can not afford a law suit. That is why we do not ship to MA. We
wish we could.
We hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Kay
Mfg., Inc.

www .com

I had sent a similar email to a vendor who shall remain nameless concerning ammo - they indicated shipments to MA FFL's, but apparently C&R don't fit the bill. Ah well.

I need to find a friend in CT.

UCC was created and accepted for ALL transactions across state lines. Guns or butter, the rules in UCC are the same.

Only in MA can an AG determine that the UCC does NOT apply to any gun/knife/ammo/components/lasers/etc. products, BUT DOES APPLY to every other category of product!! [rolleyes] [thinking] [sad] [angry]

And probably only because nobody has had both the stones and the cash required to stand up to him. Years ago the DOR tried to extort sales tax from a large NH appliance dealer who advertised heavily in MA and a large fraction of whose sales were to MA residents. He told them to pound sand, and in the end the SJC sided with him, basing their decision on the simple fact that he had no physical presence in MA, advertising and clients aside.

Ken

And probably only because nobody has had both the stones and the cash required to stand up to him. Years ago the DOR tried to extort sales tax from a large NH appliance dealer who advertised heavily in MA and a large fraction of whose sales were to MA residents. He told them to pound sand, and in the end the SJC sided with him, basing their decision on the simple fact that he had no physical presence in MA, advertising and clients aside.

Ken

Some dealers do maintain a physical presence with in the Commonwealth. You should also be warned that you might owe sales tax on your vehicle if you DRIVE IT ROUTINELY in MASSACHUSETTS, regardless of living in New Hampshire or Maine.

UCC was great because FOB destination or shipping point solves many problems between the states. However, driving a vehicle into the state is a different story versus shipping it by common carrier. Many of the dealers were using their own trucks during the 70's.

You could have a credit against such liability, if you lived in a state that collects sales tax and has a reciprocal agreement with the Commonwealth. In effect, since people in New Hampshire live free and do not have the same tax system as 42 other states, you do not get the benefits and pay your hidden taxes including the income tax for s-corp and the like.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom