• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Resources for education one's self..

Hey guys,

I don't mean to flood the board with questions, but I was seeking some advice. My LTC should be arriving in the next 2-3 weeks, and I will be on the hunt for my 1st gun. In the meantime, do you guys know of other site's I can use on educating myself on things like maintaining/cleaning a gun, different ammo types/calibers and their uses, or any other general info you guys see fit for someone pretty new. I've been to the range a bunch of times, but never really learned anything there other than load/fire/re-load/repeat

You can find a lot of what you're looking for here. You can find out how to clean weapons on youtube and other online instructional video sites. If you're looking for one place to give you a summarized bible on guns I don't know of any. You'll have to take the time and read up on it here. Many of us on here have spent hours upon hours, days, weeks, years, and decades researching firearms. I say some good things to consider before you get started is what exactly you want to do in the shooting sports. How much are you willing to spend and how much B/S are you ready to put yourself through in this god-forsaken state. The hunting section of this forum is helpful. You can also go on www.masswildlife.org (i believe the site is) and they can give you tons of info as far as all of the stupid steps you'll have to go through to shoot a damn animal here in MA. Find some shops that will take the time to sit there and answer any questions you may have. Everyone will give you different advice so you need to figure out what will work best for you. Lastly grow some thick skin in the beginning if you come across guys who may claim to know everything on firearms. If you feel that you are being verbally beat on too much look for a different mentor. Welcome to the shooting world and good luck.

You will find tons of info here. Most people on this board are more than willing to help out. At least that's what I have found.. [grin]

Pay $19 to go Green, then show up to every NES shoot you can. This will be your most valueable resource (plus it's alot of fun).

Also, pick a specific gun/caliber and start there. I started with Glocks, but then slowly learned about shotguns. Next I picked up some semi-rifles (evil and black, of course). Then I expanded towards other handguns.

NES is a great place. Also Brownell's, ShootingUSA and as previously mentioned You Tube have some video's. Welcome to NES.

Pay $19 to go Green, then show up to every NES shoot you can. This will be your most valueable resource (plus it's alot of fun).

Hey whaddya know ? There's one this weekend ! [laugh]

Seriously tho, that's good advice you'll get to try dang near every handgun known to mankind and about rifles too and enjoy some whole smoked pig as well.

I hear there's gonna be fireworks too. [devil]

lol....what town do they usually take place? I'll probably sign up tonight, although I won't be able to partake in the festivities this tmie around. After I get back from my honeymoon in 3 weeks, I'll be all over it. Are you allowed to bring guests with you?

Hey guys,

I don't mean to flood the board with questions, but I was seeking some advice. My LTC should be arriving in the next 2-3 weeks, and I will be on the hunt for my 1st gun. In the meantime, do you guys know of other site's I can use on educating myself on things like maintaining/cleaning a gun, different ammo types/calibers and their uses, or any other general info you guys see fit for someone pretty new. I've been to the range a bunch of times, but never really learned anything there other than load/fire/re-load/repeat

For gun-specific cleaning information, the owner's manual is your best bet. For general gun cleaning info, ammo types, and everything else:

www.TheHighRoad.us

www.TheFiringLine.com

www.defensivecarry.com

...and all the rest of the gun discussion forums, even this one. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom