• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Resident Of Two States

I own a home in Mass. I also own a home in Florida. I can buy things in Florida -AR 15s, complete lowers, certain Glocks and numerous other things that Mass. will not allow me to purchase from a dealer. If I buy something in Florida as a Florida homeowner and register it there, can I legally bring it back to Mass. as a Mass homeowner when I return in the Spring. Thanks for any help.

I have spent more time searching for an answer than I care to admit but I seem to find conflicting opinions. I am hoping that some of the knowedgeable people on this forum will steer me in the right direction. There are some nice toys here.

I own a home in Mass. I also own a home in Florida. I can buy things in Florida -AR 15s, complete lowers, certain Glocks and numerous other things that Mass. will not allow me to purchase from a dealer. If I buy something in Florida as a Florida homeowner and register it there, can I legally bring it back to Mass. as a Mass homeowner when I return in the Spring. Thanks for any help.

My advice, get a beefy safe and leave all your cool shit down there, hell if I was in your shoes (eg, I had a free state home) I would move most of my guns there outside of the stuff I use on a regular basis here.

If you really want to move stuff back here, just be aware it has to be AWB compliant (as well as the magazines) to be legal to possess here (im talking real AWB, not mauras shit) and you'd be legally compelled to FA-10 register it...

-Mike

EDIT:

DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING:

LenS has officially chimed in...

Any AR you bring up to Mass must be AWB compliant. No flash hider, fixed stock, no bayonet mount.
That is the case no matter what Maura says.

Do you have a Mass LTC? If not, you can't even carry any handguns you buy in Florida - once you bring them up here.

Where is your drivers license?

You can't have a drivers license in 2 states.

If you now have a Florida drivers license, you need to tell your Mass LTC issuer that you moved and your Mass LTC would become void - (not sure if you could still carry).

I think you Florida Non-Res CCW license will be good enough to buy a gun in Florida.

A Mass drivers license would not work.

If you buy an AR that was not in Mass on July 20th 2016, you will be in violation of Maura's AR ban. As of yet, however, nobody has been charged for such an offense. Could be costly if you become a test case.

If I were you, I'd keep the FL stuff in FL and the Mass stuff up here. Don't give up you Mass drivers license or else you wont be able to carry in Mass with your Mass LTC.

If anything I said is wrong, I expect a correction from @LenS who is an expert on this subject.

Last edited:
My advice, get a beefy safe and leave all your cool shit down there, hell if I was in your shoes (eg, I had a free state home) I would move most of my guns there outside of the stuff I use on a regular basis here.

If you really want to move stuff back here, just be aware it has to be AWB compliant (as well as the magazines) to be legal to possess here (im talking real AWB, not mauras shit) and you'd be legally compelled to FA-10 register it...

-Mike

^^this^^

The search function on this site is less useful than your comment. They both completely suck.

The search now isn't perfect but it's waaaaaaaay better than it used to be. Back in the early days of NES it was completely unusable. Now if you get creative you have a good chance of finding shit. Especially if you can constrain it by poster, time, etc. Google with site:northeastshooters.com appended at the end of your search terms is probably still better, though

The search now isn't perfect but it's waaaaaaaay better than it used to be. Back in the early days of NES it was completely unusable. Now if you get creative you have a good chance of finding shit. Especially if you can constrain it by poster, time, etc. Google with site:northeastshooters.com appended at the end of your search terms is probably still better, though

When I’m looking I use site:northeastershooters.com. It will 99% of the time take me to my goal quickly. The search on site for me requires a page or two to find what I’m looking for, yes though, way better than back in the day.

I do have a Mass LTC and a Mass drivers license and plan on living in Mass 6+ months a year. Because I have a home in Florida I can legally buy most anything without a CCW. I would like to bring an AR back or an AR Lower and have the rest sent later. Also, there are other hand guns that are not approved for sale in Mass. Can I buy them here and bring them back

Any AR you bring up to Mass must be AWB compliant. No flash hider, fixed stock, no bayonet mount.
That is the case no matter what Maura says.

Do you have a Mass LTC? If not, you can't even carry any handguns you buy in Florida - once you bring them up here.

Where is your drivers license?

You can't have a drivers license in 2 states.

If you now have a Florida drivers license, you need to tell your Mass LTC issuer that you moved and your Mass LTC would become void - (not sure if you could still carry).

I think you Florida Non-Res CCW license will be good enough to buy a gun in Florida.

A Mass drivers license would not work.

If you buy an AR that was not in Mass on July 20th 2016, you will be in violation of Maura's AR ban. As of yet, however, nobody has been charged for such an offense. Could be costly if you become a test case.

If I were you, I'd keep the FL stuff in FL and the Mass stuff up here. Don't give up you Mass drivers license or else you wont be able to carry in Mass with your Mass LTC.

If anything I said is wrong, I expect a correction from @LenS who is an expert on this subject.
Lots of bad info here!

WIthout a MA LTC he can't even possess any guns in MA, never mind carry it!

Driver's License is irrelevant. Having a FL DL for a dual resident (and FL has a ton of those) does not cancel your LTC. A dual resident can have 2 RESIDENT gun licenses if they meet the criteria for both states and the licensing authority will issue them. The 4473 instructions delineate what you need to prove dual residency and legally buy a handgun or frame in the 2nd state,

Fed Law says that you can't buy a handgun/frame as a NON-Resident, they'd have to be transfered thru a FFL in the person's "home state".

Maura's BS is pure bullshit! It isn't something that I'd be concerned about (but that is strictly my personal opinion).

The AR question was answered above: if you choose to follow Maura's edict, you can't bring anything new into MA that wasn't on an FA-10 before her edict.

He has a MA LTC so can possess in MA.

Sounds like he can buy in FL and bring back to MA but would have to FA-10.

I do have a Mass LTC and a Mass drivers license and plan on living in Mass 6+ months a year. Because I have a home in Florida I can legally buy most anything without a CCW. I would like to bring an AR back or an AR Lower and have the rest sent later. Also, there are other hand guns that are not approved for sale in Mass. Can I buy them here and bring them back
See the last part of Mike's post (#4) above. If you bring it back to MA you legally have to register it with the eFA-10.

Ok, after further review...
Len has corrected me.

Buy any gun you want.

AR's must be AWB complaint and must be FA-10'ed upon 7 days of being in Mass.

You CAN get a Florida drivers license and keep your Mass License at the same time. You can also have 2 CCW resident licenses. A Mass LTC and a Florida CCW.

If you choose to follow Mauras edict, you can't bring in a new AR even if it is AWB complaint.

Regarding handguns, buy whatever you want. Although you must stick to 10 round mags unless the mag was made before September 13, 1994.

So even if I buy an AR15 or a complete lower in Florida I still have to fa10 it in Mass? And if so, that is where I run into trouble?

Last edited:
Why? I said if you choose to follow her edict. You can choose not to.
Still not true. AGO responded that mere possession of a lower in MA prior to her BS can be built up and eFA-10'd. It was a signed Email within a FOIA release by AGO. And that memo is posted in my sub-forum.

You CAN get a Florida drivers license and keep your Mass License at the same time. You can also have 2 CCW resident licenses. A Mass LTC and a Florida CCW.
No, wrong. Feds stopped the dual DLs many years ago. It is illegal for a state to issue to someone unless they confiscate the existing DL. That state will send the DL to the issuing state's DMV to cancel it . . . whether they actually do it or not is anyone's guess (in MA, I doubt it)!

So even if I buy an AR15 or a complete lower in Florida I still have to fa10 it in Mass?
ANY gun obtained/built in any way once it crosses the MA state line, the law requires it to be registered with the eFA-10. Only exception is when someone moves into MA with their guns because they can't get a LTC within 7 days and thus can't fill out an eFA-10 form.

So then my question becomes can I efa10 something that I legally purchase in florida and bring to Ma. with out gettinf in trouble.
ps Thanks you guys , esp Len for helping me understand

No, wrong. Feds stopped the dual DLs many years ago. It is illegal for a state to issue to someone unless they confiscate the existing DL. That state will send the DL to the issuing state's DMV to cancel it . . . whether they actually do it or not is anyone's guess (in MA, I doubt it)!
So, if you can't have dual drivers license, how can you have dual resident CCW permits? Are tax bills and cable bills enough to establish residency for a Florida CCW license?

Anything that I pick up here in Florida will stay here.Like some nice new hi cap mags.I need to start checking out the gun stores to see what they have.

Slight correction here based on my experience moving to NC 3 years ago. When I went to get a NC license, they didn't confiscate my MA license. They gave me a temp paper NC license, told me to carry both my MA license and my temp NC until the new NC license arrived. I was warned repeatedly that to carry both licenses was a felony, federal apparently, and not to do it. And There were signs, multiple signs on the walls re-iterating this due to the high number of people who move here.

As to whether NC told MA, I have no idea.

The search function on this site is less useful than your comment. They both completely suck.
Not my experience on the topic of 2 state residency as I have the same issue and it’s well covered IMO.
The biggest hurtle for me was having the proper proof of residency to satisfy the shop. Once that was done it was very easy.

Lots of bad info here!

WIthout a MA LTC he can't even possess any guns in MA, never mind carry it!

Driver's License is irrelevant. Having a FL DL for a dual resident (and FL has a ton of those) does not cancel your LTC. A dual resident can have 2 RESIDENT gun licenses if they meet the criteria for both states and the licensing authority will issue them. The 4473 instructions delineate what you need to prove dual residency and legally buy a handgun or frame in the 2nd state,

Fed Law says that you can't buy a handgun/frame as a NON-Resident, they'd have to be transfered thru a FFL in the person's "home state".

Maura's BS is pure bullshit! It isn't something that I'd be concerned about (but that is strictly my personal opinion).
* Or an FID for FID compliant long guns.

So then my question becomes can I efa10 something that I legally purchase in florida and bring to Ma. with out gettinf in trouble.
ps Thanks you guys , esp Len for helping me understand
Yes you can but you must be careful using the eFA-10 form, it is setup as a "trap". I explain this in my Mass Gun Law Seminars . . . and the reasons why you must be careful.

So, if you can't have dual drivers license, how can you have dual resident CCW permits? Are tax bills and cable bills enough to establish residency for a Florida CCW license?
Believe it or not, not everyone drives or has a DL. I know several people that due to medical issues or just a lack of desire either never got a DL or got one very late in life.

DL is merely one way of proving residency.

My Wife and I got NH Resident P/R Licenses when we still had MA DLs. It wasn't a problem. We also explained that we were in transition to NH and had proof of residency that met their requirements. And both my MA and NH chiefs personally know what we are doing, so nothing is hidden or sneaky, thus not an issue.

Slight correction here based on my experience moving to NC 3 years ago. When I went to get a NC license, they didn't confiscate my MA license. They gave me a temp paper NC license, told me to carry both my MA license and my temp NC until the new NC license arrived. I was warned repeatedly that to carry both licenses was a felony, federal apparently, and not to do it. And There were signs, multiple signs on the walls re-iterating this due to the high number of people who move here.

As to whether NC told MA, I have no idea.
When we got our NH DLs, I asked the clerk what they did with the MA DLs and she told us that they Mail them back to the RMV. The RMV is SUPPOSED to cancel them, but based on history of bins of unopened Mail at the RMV, I doubt that they did anything with them. I would check the RMV site but last I looked they demanded that I type my SSN on that site and that is not going to happen!

“License and reg. Please”
ok trooper ,which one?
hilarity ensues.

Still not true. AGO responded that mere possession of a lower in MA prior to her BS can be built up and eFA-10'd. It was a signed Email within a FOIA release by AGO. And that memo is posted in my sub-forum.

I’m still confused. I didn’t think OP was talking about a lower, much less a lower that was in MA prior to Maura’s edict. Thought the question was can I bring an AR (or I suppose an unbuilt lower) into MA that was not in MA prior to Maura’s edict. I thought Reptile was correct.

Back
Top Bottom