Requesting assistance asap: sump pump/pellet stove generator requirements

Needing some help, power out at a friend's house. No heat and no sump pump (wet basement with heating system down there). Return of power unknown at this point.

I want to buy or rent a generator to run both a sump pump and the pellet stove. Any idea how many watts would be required for the task? Assume sump pump is 1/2 horsepower, google says 2150 watts. What about amp draw? I would continue to search but those anyone with 1st hand experience would be helpful.

The pellet stove will require minimum draw, since it runs a low-rpm high torque motor for the impeller, and the blower fan.

The sump pump, if running continuously, will require more, but not much.

I would recommend renting a 3000-watt model like this Honda model.

The 25-amp capacity should be able to cover the peak drain of the sump pump as it cycles, the pellet stove, and a few accessories.

1 HP @ 100% efficiency is 746 watts, the pump's not 100% efficient, and its starting wattage is going to be quite a bit higher - maybe as much as double for the instant that it turns on. Google links say pellet stoves run anywhere from 90 to 300 watts. You say 2150 watts, and I'd be looking for a generator of 3000 watts unless I could find some way of guaranteeing that all of the motors (stove blower, stove auger, and sump pump) don't turn on all at once.

Amps = Watts / Volts, so assuming that you're running at 110 volts, 2150 watts = a little under 20 amps.

In terms of cheap generators, Wal Mart has 3000 watt generators for $350-ish and 1300 watt generators for $180-ish. I'd buy a cheap one before renting one. They'll be OK generators for what you're trying to do, so long as you don't expect them to survive heavy use for years or run electronics equipment without a buffer of some sort.

1800 watt colman I use, powers a Fridge, my pellet stove couple of lights, and the TV if needed ( not that i care about the tv ) but you get the idea.

You don't need a 5000 watt generator to run that of what you need.

If you're gonna buy a generator then go for a 5000 watt unit. This will allow you to run most things in your house without any trouble at all. I have a 5500 watt coleman bought from Lowes and it got me thru last years ice storm with zero problems (220v well pump, furnace, lights, etc). You want to oversize a bit when powering inductive loads like motors since they tend to require more power to get going....if the generator bogs down they may not start properly and the thermals will cut out on the motor making you think you blew something up....no damage will be done, but it just adds frustration to an already frustrating situation.

If you're renting, then they're most likely only going to have 5000-8000 watt units....they may have the small 1000 watt honda's but thats too small for this application IMO.

Thanks very much for the help. I am continuing to search, part of the problem is finding stuff in stock. I didn't even think of walmart. Will check them out now.

Is there a max consecutive run time? As in do you have to run it for say 5 hours on then 1 hour off, or anything like that? Darwin question: can you refuel the generator while it is running? (stupid question I know...)

I was able to run a 1.5 hp sump pump off of a 1000watt harbor freight inverter. that saved my ass last year when we lost power during the ice storm. It isn't something that can bb left running constantly, but for occasional use, it was perfect.

A). No consecutive run-time limit, so long as you keep it fueled.

B.) Of course you can refuel it while it is running. But should you? YMMV

1) Actually, you'll have to shut it down not less frequently than every 80-100 hours to change oil.

2) No, you shouldn't.

If you are going to buy a "contractor screamer" (one of those jobs that runs at full throttle with only a 5 watt load on it) I'd go for 5KW or more, since they're all going to make about the same amount of noise... if the whole neighborhood is gonna hear it, you might as well have it make some power. [laugh]

-Mike

Needing some help, power out at a friend's house. No heat and no sump pump (wet basement with heating system down there). Return of power unknown at this point.

I want to buy or rent a generator to run both a sump pump and the pellet stove. Any idea how many watts would be required for the task? Assume sump pump is 1/2 horsepower, google says 2150 watts. What about amp draw? I would continue to search but those anyone with 1st hand experience would be helpful.

I know brains get frazzled during an emergency but posting a state and city might help.

Check the rated load on each item and add them up and then add 25% for starting surges from the pump. A 5000 watt should be fine but spend a little more for a quieter one. You will thank me when you try to sleep at night and your neighbors will thank you also. Lowes, Home Depot, Sams club and BJ's are all places to try. Overhead valve motors are quieter to run.
Dave

Thanks guys, ending up having some luck. A friend had a 6K watt generator that I could borrow but as it turns out the Fire Department was pumping out basements for those in town and managed to spend a few minutes evacuating the water. That in combination with the fact that it's a wet basement (water seeps back into the ground), the water is significantly lower and no longer a threat to the furnace, etc that's in the basement.

Back
Top Bottom