Replacement mag tubes....

OK. I searched quite a bit but didn't find anything on this topic.

My question is, can you legally replace the mag tube (with manufacturer supplied parts) on your pre-ban magazine in Mass? If so, do you have to destroy the old tube or can you hang on to it?

I ask because I have some Para Ord 14/45 mags and the finish on them is in rough shape. I could get them refinished, but since Para only charges $30 for new nickle plated tubes I thought that might be a better option.

I don't think so.. there may be exceptions but I can tell you this: I have a bunch of preban Sig mags. I called Sig to order some replacement parts- the ONLY thing they wouldn't sell me is the tube.

OK. I searched quite a bit but didn't find anything on this topic.

My question is, can you legally replace the mag tube (with manufacturer supplied parts) on your pre-ban magazine in Mass? If so, do you have to destroy the old tube or can you hang on to it?

I ask because I have some Para Ord 14/45 mags and the finish on them is in rough shape. I could get them refinished, but since Para only charges $30 for new nickle plated tubes I thought that might be a better option.

According to the ATF's interpretation of the old federal level ban, YES you could replace any part or parts of a pre-ban mag, including its body, and that mag would still be legal.

Now that the federal ban is gone, the ATF don't care anymore. Its up to the individual states with bans to interpret their local laws. In California, its still legal. But the CA DOJ actually answers questions. In Mass, good luck getting anyone with a scrap of clue in the government to give you an answer thats not "NO" or "Talk to a lawyer"!

--EasyD

I don't think so.. there may be exceptions but I can tell you this: I have a bunch of preban Sig mags. I called Sig to order some replacement parts- the ONLY thing they wouldn't sell me is the tube.

Sig's refusal does not necessarily mean it's illegal. For example, it's perfectly legal for S&W to sell a stripped frame in MA or just about any other state (NY may be a problem since they need to include a case fired by the gun for submission to the state). If you try to buy such a stripped frame from S&W except (possibly) as part of a service job on a gun, you'll get a polite but very firm no.

Because this is Mass my guess is NO one will send you mag tubes. My suggestion bead blast the bodies and Dura Coat them. On second thought maybe Para will refinish them for
you.

I figured this was one of those grey areas that make living in Mass and legally owning firearms so enjoyable. The fact that we can't get definitive answers from the state on these types of questions is pretty frustrating.

As far as getting the tubes goes, I don't think that would be an issue (although I know that Para won't sell them to Mass residents). However, since it's unlikely that I'll get an authoritative answer, I'll pass and just have them refinished.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in so far.....

Maybe you find a place up in a free state (NH or ME) that will sell the replacement parts to you face-to-face.

I would just get the tubes... or new mags. As long as preban mags were made for that model.

Back
Top Bottom