• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removing someone from an NFA trust

What is the proper method to remove someone from an NFA trust? Is it as simple as adding an addendum stating they are no longer a trustee.

I will also be getting a letter from the outgoing trustee acknowledging his termination.

I am doing this because be moved into a "no NFA items for the little people" state, and a Form 1 was rejected because he was in a different state from the listed CLEO (my letter with the other CLEO info as not sufficient to avoid the rejection.)

What is the proper method to remove someone from an NFA trust? Is it as simple as adding an addendum stating they are no longer a trustee.

I will also be getting a letter from the outgoing trustee acknowledging his termination.

I am doing this because be moved into a "no NFA items for the little people" state, and a Form 1 was rejected because he was in a different state from the listed CLEO (my letter with the other CLEO info as not sufficient to avoid the rejection.)

Rando spitballing:

Why does it matter if the item remains in states where it's legal? Or is this all based off the ATF legal bs they want where people who live in trash states not to own better stuff elsewhere? 🤣 like what business does residency have to do with an nfa trust?

You can't do that though without paying a transfer tax to move the items into that trust because it's a different legal entity.....
You can have multiple trusts with multiple separate trustees and beneficiaries. Don’t need to transfer anything.

The rejection sounds suspect. The trustees and beneficiaries should not have a rejection based on where they reside if they are not the purchasing agent. Approval is supposed to be based on where the NFA item will reside and what the purchase paperwork states, right?

I have a trust with Free-Staters and will fine out soon enough if the same BS plays out when my buddy gets their next can. Why would it matter if I live in MA? My personal firearms info is on the MA.GOV website, but bigger .gov says no bueno because MA.gov says no-no within the state?

Would love to see SCOTUS step in if ATF is doing their own interpretations of a 89 year old program. This sounds like a guilty before anything presumption by the ATF and they are making a precedent where trustees residing in no-fun states are subject to those state laws instead of following federal law and the NFA process.

You can have multiple trusts with multiple separate trustees and beneficiaries. Don’t need to transfer anything.

But when you file your form you assign them to a specific trust and also engrave them with the trust name.

But I think I get what you’re saying. He should create a new trust and file the new form on the new trust. But leave all the existing items on the old trust. he should not get rid of the old trust

But when you file your form you assign them to a specific trust and also engrave them with the trust name.

But I think I get what you’re saying. He should create a new trust and file the new form on the new trust. But leave all the existing items on the old trust. he should not get rid of the old trust
Correct, good sir.

The rejection sounds suspect. The trustees and beneficiaries should not have a rejection based on where they reside if they are not the purchasing agent. Approval is supposed to be based on where the NFA item will reside and what the purchase paperwork states, right?

I have a trust with Free-Staters and will fine out soon enough if the same BS plays out when my buddy gets their next can. Why would it matter if I live in MA? My personal firearms info is on the MA.GOV website, but bigger .gov says no bueno because MA.gov says no-no within the state?

Would love to see SCOTUS step in if ATF is doing their own interpretations of a 89 year old program. This sounds like a guilty before anything presumption by the ATF and they are making a precedent where trustees residing in no-fun states are subject to those state laws instead of following federal law and the NFA process.
ATF won’t approve NFA forms for NFA trusts where trustees in the RPQ reside in non-NFA states. The ATF has to abide by federal and state law (Even though they obviously break the law themselves ALL the time.)

Back
Top Bottom