• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removing polymer AK butt stock

I found some older threads but nothing recent, so I'm asking for help.

I have an Arsenal SGL 21 with the plum furniture. I'm trying to swap out the polymer for a wood set that I picked up but I am having a hell of a time. I removed the two screws that attach the receiver to the stock, but I can't get the effing thing off. I don't know if its glued on also or there is another hidden screw that I am missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Ash

Not glued, definitely firmly attach. Try use rubber mallet to knock the stock up & down to loosen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Try checking under the top cover... there should be another stock screw.

And a heads-up... even after removing all the screws, AK stocks are a tight fit (wood stocks are worse).

Might take a bit of banging with a wood dowel and mallet from inside the receiver to drift it loose.

Last edited:
Try hitting it gently at the butt end (on the side) on a piece of carpet so the stock wiggles side to side. Alternate sides and you can walk the stock out slowly. Be patient and do not slam it. This works for wood stocks and was the only way I could get out my laminated stock as it was tight.

remove the top cover like others have said and make sure to take out both screws on the top of the stock tang.

Then take a brass or steel punch and hit the plastic part of the stock under the rear trunnion "out" of the receiver if wiggling it out doesn't work.

They are a tight fit. It'll come out.

Update

The wooden dowel and hammer trick worked. It was hell though.

I put the wooden butt stock on and took off the top handguard without a problem, but the lower handguard presented another issue. The heat shield was in between the handguard and the fixed cleaning rod. I was able to separate the heat shield from the handguard and pop them both off the rifle, but how do I get the wooden lower handguard on if I can't take off the cleaning rod.

This project might be a fail and I will be forced to put the polymer back on.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they screw into an Arsenal rifle or not, but I use a small screw driver to "pull" out my cleaning rods. I put it through the rod's hole and use it as a grip to bend it down and pull it off of the rifle.

That's odd that you got the hanguard off without taking the cleaning rod off? That doesn't sound right...

Last edited:
Success. I got all the polymer off and all the wood on. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

flintoid - there was no hole in the polymer lower handguard for the cleaning rod (like there is in the new wooden handguard). It sat in a space between the polymer guard and a metal heat shield. The cleaning rod has threads but is not actually screwed into anything. It is held in place by being basically flush to the muzzle brake.

Success. I got all the polymer off and all the wood on. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

flintoid - there was no hole in the polymer lower handguard for the cleaning rod (like there is in the new wooden handguard). It sat in a space between the polymer guard and a metal heat shield. The cleaning rod has threads but is not actually screwed into anything. It is held in place by being basically flush to the muzzle brake.

Cool, now we need to see some pics. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom