removing AK stock

im trying to remove the wood butt stock of one of my AK rifles...ive unscrewed the retaining screws but the the stock still wont move! any suggestions? i was thinking of drilling a screw into the bottom of it and trying to pull it out that way...help!

I know my SAR-1 was a royal PITA. That receiver didn't want to let go of that stock for anything! I can't remember any tricks unfortunately. I think I just kept getting rougher with it (remember, it's an AK....it will break you before you break it!) until I was able to wiggle it looser a bit at a time.

Some are just so stuck on that they're next to impossible to budge. I wound up masking off my receiver so I could add a finish to my SAR1 stock.
I've heard of people having to use wooden dowels and hammers to smack them loose enough to even wiggle.

well im not refinishing the stock i just want it off! only thinking is...it is a really nice stock so id hate to destroy it...im trying to replace it with a polymer stock ::gasp::...heres what the gun looks like now

pix10655000.jpg

well im not refinishing the stock i just want it off! only thinking is...it is a really nice stock so id hate to destroy it...im trying to replace it with a polymer stock ::gasp::...heres what the gun looks like now

pix10655000.jpg

Nothing wrong with polymer furniture. Remember....

blackriflesfun.jpg

pix10655000.jpg

Is that a Saiga? If it is and you didn't put that stock on it, you can't really know for sure what someone used to attach it. Could even be some epoxy in there. You may have to start cutting and chiseling.

BTW, I'd go with a polymer grip too. I may have one laying around from my SAR 1.

yup its a saiga...i already have a SAW grip on it...just trying to add the polymer buttstock so its all uniform black...like i said its a really nice finished stock so id hate the hack it off but it may end up coming to that...ive tried banging the hell out of it from all angles to loosen it up and it aint budgin!

Either someone used a type of glue when they put it on or the finish wasn't fully cured when they stuck the end in the receiver. If you've got the top screws out and can't even wiggle the stock, there's gotta be something in there that made it stick.
You can try a heat gun to sofetn up whatever it could be, then as alast resort start chiseling. If you do damage it, at least AK butt stocks area plentiful and still cheap.

Back
Top Bottom