Remington Thunderbolt Ammo

If I shoot lead nosed 22lr ammo, I go with high end stuff like Wolf. For bulk pack I stick with the Federal copper washed stuff. Less fouling.
CCI and Aguila make good high velocity rounds if thats what you're looking for.

I just went through about 3000 rounds of the stuff in my DPMS 22 LR upper. My only problem was failures to fire, about one per 100 rounds. Dick's is selling it for $10.95/500. I'm going for another 3 or 4 thousand.

PS The stuff was 100% in my Marvel Longslide conversion which has a tight, match chamber. I think the problem may be quality control and bad batches get through.

It really depends on the batch from what I've seen. Seems a lot more sensitive to handling in transit.

I've had bricks and bricks with no problems, but occasionally get a bad lot.

My pet hate is the WWB stuff from Walmart, it fouls and clogs real fast.

I've seen it lead up a P22 barrel in about 150 rounds or
less... it was leaded so badly that the bullets started
exiting the barrel sideways and keyholing!

Never again. Golden bullet is dirty but at least it doesn't lead
up the barrel. I use golden bullet in some guns and CCI standard
vel in others.

-Mike

I gave away a brick to a Father and his young son at the range and felt guilty about it later.

I couldn't get it to work in a K22 and a 617. About every 5th round was a dud. I would never buy it again.

It really depends on the batch from what I've seen. Seems a lot more sensitive to handling in transit.

I've had bricks and bricks with no problems, but occasionally get a bad lot.

My pet hate is the WWB stuff from Walmart, it fouls and clogs real fast.

I must have a good lot. I took it to the range today and fired a total of about 300 rounds. About 100 through my P22 and 200 through my 10/22. One misfire, no FTF and no FTE. A little bit of lead in the P22 barrel when I cleaned it, but it cleaned right up. It was fine in the 10/22 as well.

Maybe I just got lucky.

Gary

If anyone wants to give away some Thunderbolt, I'll be glad to take it. I've had good luck with it, especially with some of my semi-auto rifles that are finicky about bullet weight. They won't fire a 37 grain hollow point like the 550 count value gold bullets, but the 40 grain Thunderbolts work fine in my Weatherby XXII, Rugers, Buckmark pistol and all my bolt action rifles.

I like the stuff. I also like it comes in 50 round boxes. Makes it easier for me to keep track of how much I'm using or giving to my nephews to shoot.

I have one S&W Pre Model 34 that is like brand new, and that is the only gun I ever have trouble with Thunderbolt. It does tend to lead that gun pretty quickly (say 100 rounds), and I get the keyhole effect from it. But it's only in that one gun.

I agree. the only problem I have had is a few failures to fire with my DPMS 22 LR upper, approx one per 100. I have had this problem with all of the 22 ammo I have used in this upper. Also, no leading that I am aware of, and good accuracy out to 50 yds.

I agree. the only problem I have had is a few failures to fire with my DPMS 22 LR upper, approx one per 100. I have had this problem with all of the 22 ammo I have used in this upper. Also, no leading that I am aware of, and good accuracy out to 50 yds.

It just goes to show you that quality varies, and you'll never get a unanimous opinion on anything to do with firearms (except that Hi-Point pistols are ugly).

Back
Top Bottom