• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington-Rand 1911 A1 - Shoebox find

I've seen "safety grinding" mentioned several times but I see nothing wrong with that safety besides the finish wear. I also highly doubt that gun is a factory refurb or "repark". From what I can see from the pics it is 100% original in every respect with honest finish wear .
Agree with Martin08: Oil it down and preserve it. Don't molest it. I would shoot it at least once. Other collectors would not.

OMG!!!

I have been looking for "the one" for my collection for years...and one falls in your lap and you consider bubbaing it! [slap]

keep it and cherish it. watch the value continue to go up.....or sell it to one of us that will!!
..there are tons of 45 bases out there without destroying a piece of history..

good luck with it

Tom

Looks very original and worth keeping as is. The color change at the muzzle and slide stop are a result of heat treating at the factory to harden those areas. The parkerized finish looks awesome. The grips look mismatched, but it might be the photos. Better than most I see. I did have a law enforcement group bring me 12 unfired RR they got through a GSA grant a while back. They wanted them all set up for a tactical unit. Wish I could have bought all of them or swapped them for some Glocks or Sigs. The Feds still have a large supply of 1911's but they will never get out to the public.

The grips appear to match - meaning they are checkered the same way - full checker, no diamonds and match in color & material. No chips dings or scratches.

Thanks Greg

Have you taken them off by chance? I bought a 1917 revolver recently that was all original including the grips and when I took them off I found the serial number was written in pencil on each one.

One says nothing the other has "Made in Italy" stamped on it...D'oh! And now that I look at it, the grip screws are lightly buggered - how do you bugger a grip screw?

I think I know what Greg meant by mismatched grips..."Not period correct"

One says nothing the other has "Made in Italy" stamped on it...D'oh! And now that I look at it, the grip screws are lightly buggered - how do you bugger a grip screw?

taking them out when they're rusted/frozen in there

Markings on mine. Wish I could remember what my issue pistol was!
i-BcvGQhk-L.jpg

Thanks G-man
The safety is fairly polished on the edge and very small - I thought it may have been filed because I didn't know the shape and size. My research has shown me that it's probably the finish is gone from that area.

I'd like to get correct grips for it. The barrel is HS so I'm thinking it's just the grips that aren't correct.

I'm away for a week but have the 1911 book that gives all the lowdown. Mine also has an HS barrel. My grips are original as far as I know.

I did have a law enforcement group bring me 12 unfired RR they got through a GSA grant a while back. They wanted them all set up for a tactical unit. Wish I could have bought all of them or swapped them for some Glocks or Sigs. The Feds still have a large supply of 1911's but they will never get out to the public.

That is heartbreaking Greg. Twelve unfired WWII 1911A1's?!!... and they wanted to "upgrade" them for duty use. That hurts me in the feels.

OP if you can't find an original set of Keyes WWII grips for that gun, I believe I still have a set of post war replacement ones. They are made by Keyes and are identical to the originals but they are not war time manufacture. The grips that are on that gun now are nice looking but to be correct they should have the reinforcing ring around the grip screw holes.

That is heartbreaking Greg. Twelve unfired WWII 1911A1's?!!... and they wanted to "upgrade" them for duty use. That hurts me in the feels.

OP if you can't find an original set of Keyes WWII grips for that gun, I believe I still have a set of post war replacement ones. They are made by Keyes and are identical to the originals but they are not war time manufacture. The grips that are on that gun now are nice looking but to be correct they should have the reinforcing ring around the grip screw holes.

At least they are getting used. What really grinds my gears is how the feds like to chop up weapons and scrap them.

I think I know what Greg meant by mismatched grips..."Not period correct"

taking them out when they're rusted/frozen in there

Using a regular screwdriver instead of a hollow ground one is why most of the time.

Thanks All,

Who would be a recommendation to get it formally appraised and if he wants to sell, what would be a good venue for that?

I'm going to be brutally honest here.....my apologies in advance. How was your friends relationship with his dad? Because if it was a good relationship I find no reason at all why he would even slightly consider selling that gun! So.....if he had a good a good relationship with his dad and hes thinking of selling it I'd kind of wonder why.

Last edited:
I'm going to be brutally honest here.....my apologies in advance. How was your friends relationship with his dad? Because if it was a good relationship I find no reason at all why he would even slightly consider selling that gun! So.....if he had a good a good relationship with his dad and hes thinking of selling it I'd kind of wonder why.

he's not a gun guy obviously

Fair question - He's got a few items that have the sentimental connection and he views this one as a tool to be used in some fashion. He's keeping the sentimental items and utilizing the others the best way he can.
Make sense?

Fair question - He's got a few items that have the sentimental connection and he views this one as a tool to be used in some fashion. He's keeping the sentimental items and utilizing the others the best way he can.
Make sense?

Yeah......it does. I assumed your friend was a fire arms enthusiast. My bad.

He is. But his wants are not in keeping with a milsurp collection. He wants a set of working tools before he gets historic. He gets the collector thing but is not a collector.

For now the gun is still his and he understands it's not to be bubba'd though so that's good

Picked up a set of plastic scales that appear to be in good condition and cost me $45. It's a gamble on my part by I think I did the right thing

One has the star and the number 11. The other only has the number 10. They both look like other grips I've seen on other boards discussion the 1944 vintage R-R's. I'll settle for period correct knowing the originals are probably lost.

I thought of replacing the buggered screws but then that's part of the history of the piece...

I appreciate everyone's interest and advice. Thanks

I did have a law enforcement group bring me 12 unfired RR they got through a GSA grant a while back. They wanted them all set up for a tactical unit. Wish I could have bought all of them or swapped them for some Glocks or Sigs. The Feds still have a large supply of 1911's but they will never get out to the public.

That ****ing kills me.

Update:
I finally got the magazines for the pistol. I have (2) marked R on the top of the lip and (1) with a welded spine that is probably a GS make - possibly the original mag - but I'm not sure. I need to do a little more research on the GS mag. All have appropriate wear for their age. A vintage belt, holster and mag holster would be awesome compliment and I'm on the look out for that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom