• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington making a come back 1/14/2021

With bans on the horizon they will have a hard time innovating new designs into market share. Losing the ammo business hurts potential cash flow to support the manufacturing side of the company. Now they are down to fudd rifles, shotguns, and 1911s. Losing Marlin is another blow to the fudd market.

If they can go back to quality and timeless style you pass down to your kids maybe they survive. Or if they start thinking outside the box with new designs. Going to be tough for them.

They have a huge up hill climb after the 700 recall......the shit quality 870s......and the disaster of the r51. Their reputation is in the shitter but who knows......lots of new gun owners out there that will buy just about whatever they can find and don't know any better at this point so initial sales of new manufactured items may start em off again.

Since FUDD guns will be the only allowable guns (LOL), then if they can rebuild the quality of the 700 and their shotguns, then they should be ok.

But that's because their new demographic will be new buyers who don't know their period of bad quality.

They still have a big recognizable name among the main stream.

I think the 700 is doornail-dead. Honestly. It's an $700 gun that can be beat by $350-450 guns now. It was big when having an MOA rifle was a big freaking deal.

870 is a classic. I love mine. Seems of a simple enough design NOT to F it up. Far better than any Winnie product or the heavy-as-a-rock, not-nearly-as-smooth 590.

Maybe they should make a made-in-USA inertia gun. Get a few 3-gun names to sign on. I love my wife's 20ga 1187. But after 2 rounds of Sporting Clays, it does NOT want to cycle anymore. Damn I can point that thing better than my own index finger.

I'd avoid the handgun market. Stay small and stay USA. The time for explosive growth will come some day.

The Remington 700 will have a long life yet. It is a great design that the custom receiver makers all clone. There are more after market accessories for the Remington 700 action than for any other bolt rifle.

I have three Remington 700 produced over the last four years. In stock configuration they were all moa rifles. With a Timney trigger the .308 was close to 1/2 moa with hand loads. (5 shot groups at 200 yards.). I used that for the long range qualifier at Granby. The 6.5 cm I used for my first PRS match (with a Timney trigger) was close to 1/2 moa with hand loads or hornady factory ammo. I collected all six points off the 996 yard target during that match with that rifle using a scope that I bought new for $250.

The third (6.5 cm) in stock configuration, factory trigger, aluminum two piece scope bases and a $99 Tasco varmint scope with hornady factory ammo had three hits on each steel target out to 500 yards without a miss. The first miss came on a bowling pin steel target at 500. That was the second range day for that rifle and first time it was shot pass 100 yards.

so that’s my experience. I will agree that the Rem 700s that I have from the 70‘s and 80’s have beautiful bluing and slicker actions, but I’m not disappointed in my recent rifles.

I just looked. A new .308 ADL is running less than $500. Wow. I just worry that field is VERY crowded right now.

there's nothing like tossing that first shovel full of dirt in the grave, is there? i'm going to have to take that wait and see approach before i make a judgement on their offerings since bankruptcy and the re-opening. i'm in their corner but they're the only ones who can pick themselves up at this point.

I have been a Remington fan since........well before they started paying me to be a Remington fan. (Poor Mcconahey joke and spelling).
Last Remington purchase 3 years ago was a 12ga Versa Max getting older and the pump guns where really beating the day lights out of my shoulder. Lot to do with career and scapula replacement.

Pros: light , shoulders nice, can load with different length shells, over size safety and trigger guard So you can use heavy gloves. Shoulder is fine at the end of long hunts
Can hunt in any weather condition. I do bring a backup for far away hunts haven't had to use it.

Cons: bolt lock doesn't work right. Lock the bolt back and slap the gun and it closes, out of box the camo coating had some issues. I really didn't mind because I am going into swamps and Ocean with this.
Unloading tube mag is a bitch cannot keep your heavy gloves on. No two guns break down and assemble after cleaning as easily. Two exact guns side by side on one the trigger assembly is a friggan nightmare to get back in.
The camo pattern dip is wearing off in the small and around the trigger area!! That started at the end of season one.
You pay extra for dip!!!!

I have hunted New England inland and coastal as well as the mid Atlantic fly way for the last three years with this gun. Taken many birds, had the mythical boating accident (that's a story for another beer)
If I was in the market right now for another bird gun I'd be looking at Benelli or another brand of auto loader

I have worn out two 870's thousand and thousands of rounds. Third one is semi retired only because of my shoulder issues.
Remington is done in my eyes To many issues to make me give them another try .
You spend good money on tools that if cared for your children will be passing them on to there kids god willing.

Sorry for the rant

Maybe with the future legislation they will bring back the Model 8 / 81.

They need to focus on high quality timeless pump shotguns in my opinion.

Lever actions are not easy produce, they just aren't designed well for mass production.
It will be interesting to see what ruger does with Marlin, they have a good approach to design for manufacturability.

Love my 870s and 700s. All smooth and accurate. Had a sweet 1100 LT 20 that was my “go to” grouse, rabbit and deer gun for most of the ‘90s. I hope they do well.

Seems the public isn't convinced the remington 870 new production will be quality.

Kittery Trading Post today.......racks FULL of brand new 870s for $395......certainly no takers even at that price......they look like shit too......some had rust already on the receivers lol 20220424_145933.jpg 20220424_145955.jpg

Seems the public isn't convinced the remington 870 new production will be quality.

Kittery Trading Post today.......racks FULL of brand new 870s for $395......certainly no takers even at that price......they look like shit too......some had rust already on the receivers lolView attachment 607571View attachment 607572
People might have bought these 2 years ago. Now the market is gone As everyone bought their 12 gauge pump. Its also flooded with turkish guns and mossberg mavericks that are sitting for 200 dollars less

Remington should make the pump rifle and make it well. There is a following for that gun.
I dont think it would be nearly enough to keep them in business, but its a niche they did well in with no competition

Finding and old pump rifle in good shape is not easy. Similar to finding a used Marlin in good shape.

Remington, forget about "reviving" the consumers confidence in your guns, that ship has sailed away . You want my admiration and my money ? Help the REAL need and get back to work producing primers, brass , projectiles and loaded ammo . Thats all i got to say on the matter.

Remington, forget about "reviving" the consumers confidence in your guns, that ship has sailed away . You want my admiration and my money ? Help the REAL need and get back to work producing primers, brass , projectiles and loaded ammo . Thats all i got to say on the matter.
The company that makes the guns does not make the ammunition. They were sold off in pieces awhile ago......

They would have done better selling off the guns piece, and keeping the ammo business. But the bank probably said no to that.

Back
Top Bottom