Remington Golden Saber 38 sp. problem?

I Thought I'd post this troubling experience some reloaders are having (from Midway site) with this particular bullet. If anyone has reloaded with this bullet or has any knowledge of it please comment or does this gent, below, have it correct?
div255.gif

remgsnsctdetl.jpg
Gldsadb.jpg
533900994.jpg

Remington Golden Saber Bullets 38 Special (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Rating: * - - -
Date Posted: 3/8/2005
Adam Craig of Kokomo, IN

Review:
WARNING!!! READ CAREFULLY!!! I purchased 1000 of these Golden Sabers based on a lot of research in regards to bullet performance. I was planning on using these in my Taurus 357 Mag, but with 38 Special cases, a common practice. I got the cases, the bullets, primers, etc... I loaded the correct amount of Unique listed at the Alliant website. I took the loads to the range, and when firing, something seemed strange. Weak results sometimes, and other times the loads just went "Poof" resulting in a bullet lodged in the bore.

After a careful investigation covering all the components, I have traced the problem back to the bullet itself. The Golden Sabers only have 0.15 inches of bore diameter bullet at the very rear, thus requiring the rear 0.15" of the bullet to engage the cylinder throat prior to leaving the case. Fired in a 38 Special revolver, no problems would be expected, BUT when shooting 38 Golden Sabers in a 357 Revolver, the bullet must travel 0.11 inches after leaving the case before the bore diameter engages the cylinder throat. This causes the cylinder/bore to be "unsealed" allowing large quantities of gas to blow by the bullet. This in turn causes a rapid decrease in bore pressure causing the powder to burn very poorly. Bullets, when they actually fired, were anywhere from 350fps to 750fps, far from the expected 1000fps listed by Alliant.

Please take great caution when using these bullets along with 38 Special cases in a 357 revolver. Bullets can easily become lodged in the bore, turning your pistol into a hand grenade if the stuck bullet isn't cleared before firing again. REMINGTON needs to put out a warning on this condition. Following all standard procedures for reloading with their products can repeatedly cause hazardous conditions that might not be recognized by inexperienced shooters/reloaders. I will be following up with Remington very soon. Very poor product design!!!

Not a bullet problem but it is an operator problem. 125gr bullets are not easy to reload in 38/357. He needs more experience before trying to blame the bullet design.[hmmm]

Is it possible he downloaded the load? You're not supposed to do that with jacketed .38s.

Most likely several problems:

Incorrect OAL
No powder in the rounds
improper crimp causing bullets to unseat into cylinder

Even if the bullet has free space as he claims, in a revolver, there will be enough pressure to drive it out of the barrel.

What he is claiming just plain doesn't make sense. If what he says is true, why do Wad cutter bullets work so well??

people with problems like this spend all too much time investigating the solution to the problem when it could be had by looking into the mirror.[wink]

Last edited:
I bought 1000 of those when I first started reloading. I never had a single problem with them. I did have a couple of squibs with those loads, but that was 100% user error on my part. They make for a decent, light shooting .38 special plinking load (especially for what I paid for them).

When you say down load, can I assume you are loading with less than min
specified loads? If so, is there a rule of thumb for doing this? (Other than
until it doesn't work anymore [smile])

The rule of thumb is have a chrono, be prepared for any problem that could arise, and be prepared to suffer the consequences if you screw up. Other than that, you need to watch pressures just as much as with hot loads.

Back
Top Bottom