Remington and Sandy Hook

This whole lawsuit is BS, they never should have settled on the grounds that their products were "aggressively marketed".
The car makers "aggressively market" their products, so let say someone stole a Chevy pickup and ran down 20 school kids at a bus stop with it, and GM got sued because their product was dangerous because they "aggressively" marketed it.
Also, Remington has changed hands a few times since 2012, the current owners had nothing to do with the particular rifle used at Sandy Hook.

Last edited:
sometimes it's better to settle in private, than to be roasted in public, even if you are right... we'll see if/how Remington changes the way they do business..
if they paid once it means they accepted the guilt and will be now forced to pay to an every emotionally harmed individual who just cannot feel safe anymore.

if they paid once it means they accepted the guilt and will be now forced to pay to an every emotionally harmed individual who just cannot feel safe anymore.
i get it.. should've never gotten to that point.. judge should've thrown it out long ago.. at this point it's damage control..

Like Colion Noir and that shitbag lawyer on the news in CT pointed out.. their goal isnt to win the lawsuit. They know they wont win. The goal is to allow frivolous lawsuits to proceed so that the ensuing lawsuits that keep coming in the future will simply bankrupt any manufacturer out of business in legal fees fighting and settling said lawsuits

The shit is vile and diabolical in how well planned out it all is

Spot on IMO. The legal system shouldn't be permitted to be weaponized.

I am guessing that settling the lawsuit was simply a business decision.

Bob

Any firearms or ammo manufacturer still hanging their hat in a blue state is getting everything they want. Even S&W is finally wising up. I would suspect in the coming years a wind down in Massachusetts until they are gone completely.

Just remember when S&W announced the shift of jobs to the midwest not a SINGLE MA pol stood up for the workers in Springfield. No one did anything. They just let it happen because they don't care.

Any blue collar worker in this country who votes for a democrat politician is an unmitigated dummy.

F Remington, F the lawyers and especially F the judge that didn't toss this shit out long ago. Glad I don't own anything from Remington (had an 870 years back, sold it not long after getting it). Now I never will own anything with their name on it.

WE all know this just opens up the doors to more BS law suits. We also know it's all part of the plan to disarm the American people to allow the gov to do whatever they want without any chance of US doing something about it.

The precedence this sets should terrify you.

It does.

Everyone killed by a drunk diver will have the families suing the auto-maker for aggressively marketing them. So now any legal product can't be aggressively marketed. The wackiness just keeps getting worse.

Using this logic both the car manufacture and the brewery is on the hook.

Shit, the maker of the booze is probably a lot more "at fault" than Remington or a car maker would be, as the known side effect of booze is making incredibly bad decisions.

This shit will eventually implode on itself. God knows what will be left though.

What a shame. I wish they would have taken this all way, but it's clear it's a money/business decision for them and not a hill they want to die on.

I wish it were different and they would have said, fine we'll fight this to our last penny. But that's easy for me to say with their money/company

What a shame. I wish they would have taken this all way, but it's clear it's a money/business decision for them and not a hill they want to die on.

I wish it were different and they would have said, fine we'll fight this to our last penny. But that's easy for me to say with their money/company
IMO, they looked at the short term impact but failed to see the long term impact of this decision. Short term they're done with the law suit. Long term, they just lost a LOT of future customers. They were already low on my list for manufacturers. But now they've been removed from the list completely.

This was in Connecticut state court. The lower court threw it out, the CT Supreme Court by a 4-3 decision allowed it.

It’s a garbage case and should have been tossed by the CT Supreme Court. The suit wasn’t a 2A suit, it was based on a particular law in CT regarding marketing of products. As bad as this is, it’s not going to be replicated in most other states because their courts aren’t asses and their states don’t have these BS marketing laws

The precedence this sets should terrify you.
I agree that this sort of payday will encourage the ambulance chasers.
Guessing maybe the creditors want this to go away. I'm sure they could give a rat's ass about legal precedent and the industry at large as long as the numbers eventually work in their favor.
Insurers. Firms which likely insure other firearms manufacturers, and did not want an actual legal precedent in Connecticut.
Why capitulate? This sets a dangerous precedent.

I'm sure it was a business decision more than anything but still....
Apparently "Four insurers for the now-bankrupt company agreed to pay the full amount of coverage available, totaling $73 million".

As mentioned in the article about the previous offer, they likely settled in part because this sort of settlement doesn't set a "legal precedent".

A lot of "wahh" remington here.

Remington Arms went bankrupt and was purchased by a new investment group:
Bankrupt Remington Sold Off: Here Are The Winners

The settlement is part of the bankruptcy proceedings as the new owners don't want to deal with the shit. Basically, Sandy hook is getting a slice of bankruptcy profits and the new company will never have to deal with them again. From a business perspective- that's a good plan, especially when you consider that they may never see a penny of their judgment as there are many others in line to be paid first.

Wonder whose next? These Sandy Hook people have very deep pockets, and they are getting deeper.

I use to shop at the dealer who sold the idiots Mother the infamous rifle, nice little store. Look what they did to that guy. These people will not stop. It’s scary and getting scarier.

Not necessarily true ! Usually a settlement of this level includes a statement that the Defendant accept so guilt/liability and the payments are made as compensation in order to settle.

Haven't seen the settlement and we probably never will but it is unlikely Remington accepted liability in it. The clownshoe lawyers can say anything they want to the media but that doesn't mean it is in the Agreement.

Back
Top Bottom