Remington 742 30.06 mag question.

I recently acquired a Remington 742 30.06. The rifle came with a scope, sling and a factory 4 round mag. The mag it came with slides perfectly into place and locks in right in every time. While on a trip to the Kittery Trading Post, I decided to purchase a second magazine which was aftermarket. This magazine was made to accept a few different calibers of ammo, and has a difficult time sliding in and won't fully lock into place. So, I decided to purchase an original 30.06 magazine, identical to the one that came with the rifle. This too has a difficult time sliding in and won't fully lock into place. I stripped the rifle down, cleaned and oiled it, and inspected the innards for signs of wear. I also compared the two factory magazines and they look identical. After reassembling the rifle, I am still having the same problem. Any suggestions?

Contact Remington Tech Supt?

Try an experiment with soft chalk, chalk up the sides of the errant mag, slide it in, then look in with a light for chalk rubbings to see where high-spots are.

Otherwise have a gunsmith take a look.

Back
Top Bottom