Remington 1100 question

I recently purchased a Remington 1100. It is NOT a magnum and is designed to only shoot 2 3/4 shells. I have been told it is ok to shoot 2 3/4 magnum shells with this shotgun. I have a few 2 3/4 magnum shells. So, what's the consensus? Ok to shoot 2 3/4 magnum or no?

Do you mean 3" magnum?

A regular 2.75 model 1100 can handle infrequent steel 3" no problem but not lead or slugs as a regular diet. Something with the springs and hammering of the reciever. I have have heard you can replace them with the magnum internals and be fine too.

This 1100 is not a 3" magnum. It is specifically limited to 2 3/4" shells. 3" shells won't even fit but whether the magnum shells, even in 2 3/4" are safe to shoot or not. I was told it was ok by someone whose credentials I can't vouch for.

Could be just me but never heard of 2.75 magnum. There are short shells, regular, magnum and super mag. All refer to the shell length. Hi brass and low brass are other derivatives.

Do a search on the 1100. I know remington does say that any 1100 can shoot 3" just not a steady diet.

2 3/4" magnum load shells are fine - Look carefully - the payloads are probably 1 1/4oz. vs 1 1/8 oz payloads for most rounds.

It's about the shell length and putting the most you can into one. A 2 3/4" shell with a magnum duck load of 4, 2, BB are fine.

Put a spare O ring in your gun case as storage.

Examples:
img_20130726_144119_998.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

remipicsp126.jpg

12SB00-2.jpg

Last edited:
Do you mean 3" magnum?

A regular 2.75 model 1100 can handle infrequent steel 3" no problem but not lead or slugs as a regular diet. Something with the springs and hammering of the reciever. I have have heard you can replace them with the magnum internals and be fine too.
how does a 3 inch shell even fit in a 2 3/4 inch chamber?

how does a 3 inch shell even fit in a 2 3/4 inch chamber?

The shell length on the shotshell is the fired length. You have to figure on the fold (crimp). So, you can chamber a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber, but, when fired, the folded part of the shell opens into the forcing cone of the barrel, and you get a lot more pressure (you feel in in recoil).

It's likely not dangerous in a modern gun in good condition, but it's not a good idea.

If it's a 2 3/4" "magnum", it just means that they jammed in more powder ( or a hotter one), but kept the shell length the same.

I know this doesn't answer your question but shooting magnums is really no fun unless you really need to reach out and sustain velocity....enjoy.
Some are set up for light loads and shooting the nitro loads even in 2 3/4 might put a little more beating on your gun.
A 3" hull will fit in your 2 3/4 chamber but it will not eject well if at all.

My advice is use the ammo specified for the platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom