• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 1100 20ga with 12ga frame? help please...

looking at an 1100 that is a 20 ga, but the owner says it is a 12ga frame... if i get it, would i be able to put a 12ga barrel on it?

thanks in advance.

ad

There was a LT-20 1100 receiver, the special field was one. It was a lighter receiver than a normal 20ga he might be making reference to this.

I do remeber that 16 ga. Rem 1100 were built on 12 ga. frames but have not heard of 20 ga. on 12 ga frames.

I have a 1100 20 gauge that was purchased with a short stock, when it came time to get a long stock we found none of the 20 gauge stocks would fit, it was in fact a 12 gauge reciever that was chambered in 20 gauge. it is my understanding that it can NOT be converted to 12 gauge. it was hell trying to figure out what parts went on this shotgun. if i knew i would have sold it as a short stock model and bought my son a new shotgun.

looking at an 1100 that is a 20 ga, but the owner says it is a 12ga frame... if i get it, would i be able to put a 12ga barrel on it?

thanks in advance.

ad

You would probably need the 12 gauge

bolt
extractor
ejector
interrupter
gas piston
gas piston seal
barrel seal
carrier

and a few more, I'm sure.

It's possible that the receiver is "the same" for 12 and 20 ga, before final machining, but i'd guess that not all parts are interchangable.

Om my winchester 1400, many parts are the same between 20 and 12 ga, but not the receiver.

If it were interchangable, it would be a hell of a marketing opportunity - "TWO GUNS IN ONE!". If Remington isn't doing that, I'd guess it's not.

The receiver can be made on a 12ga frame but the 12ga barrel may fit (I doubt it).

You cannot use 12ga shells because the bolt is different as would be the mag tube.

Hell, saw that you were asking about the 20 ga. 1100 on a 12 ga. frame. When Remington started making the 20 ga. 1100's, they, at first, used the 12 ga. frame. Now, I have one of these, and in my opinion, they are valuable because they end up being a heavier gun that the newer, later model 20 ga. 1100's using a scaled down frame. The model you have is excellent for shooting skeet. Don't try to convert it, not that you could. It is more valuable as it is, as it is rare.

Of course, if you were going hunting you would not want to lug the 20 ga. you have with the 12 ga. frame. But, to shoot skeet or clays or whatever, the extra weight is nice. The gun shoots really smooth.

You should be able to sell the gun you have and have money left over after you bought a normal 12 ga. or a normal 20 ga. in the 1100. The skeet guys who don't like recoil should love the gun you have. I really like mine.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom