Remembering the first Mass State Trooper I met.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
This storm reminded me of another snowstorm here in Mass many years ago.

It was in the winter of 1969. and I was stationed at Fort Devens.I had been given a three week convalescent leave and decided
to hitchike to Fort Drum, New York to look for my brother.

I left Devens at about 4:00 PM, and hitched a ride down to the I90. I stood on the on ramp for awhile, and it started to snow really heavy.

After a few hours, the roads were empty, and it really started getting cold.

A State Trooper pulled over, and he hollered out the door....."What the f*** are you doing here? Are you crazy?"

I told him where I was headed, and he told me I was a dumb ass!

"Throw your bag in back and get it in, I can take you as far as Springfield."

We made it about five miles before we spun off the road and down into the median.

I got out and tried to push, but there was no hope.[smile]

When I got back in the car, he told me, "They shut down the Interstate,'''looks like we might be here a while."

He was a Vietnam Vet as well, and a Marine.

He spent the next few minutes ranting and raving, and of course giving me shit for "being an Army puke who got him into this mess!"

Once he calmed down, he asked me if I was hungry.

"I bought these to take home to the wife, but I guess I won't see her tonight."

He opened a bag on the floor and handed me what was turned out to be the most fantastic roast beef subs I ever had in my life!

"You owe me 3 bucks for this a**h***!"

I started to reach for my wallet, and he said, "Jesus Man, I was only kidding."[rofl][rofl]

After another few calls on the radio, he finally said...."Well, I am officially off duty now."

Then he got out and went back to his trunk, and came back with a brand new fifth of Jim Beam! "I think we are going to need some Antifreeze."

We started passing that bottle, and telling war stories....each one trying to top the other.

I think it was at least four hours before that snowplow showed up with the other State Police car behind it.

We were both so drunk we could barely crawl out of the ditch!

The other Trooper drove us to Springfield, following the Snowplow all the way......

I remember crashing on his couch, listening to his wife yell at him for being late and "EATING HER GODDAMN SANDWICH!"

(Nice to know that at least a Marine has to take shit from somebody.)

Later that year, after spring arrived, I went back to Springfield and took him and his wife out to dinner.

That was when she finally forgave him for that night![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Last edited:
thats a great story Kim......dont think you could have made up a better one..you need to write a book of your short stories [smile]

I just wish I could remember his name......I would give anything to find that guy today, and give him a bottle of Jim Beam!

Back
Top Bottom