• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rem 1100 sporting 20 ga.?

Been looking for a softer shooter to get the wife and some more delicate friends on the skeet range with me. Found a Remington 1100 sporting 20 online up at Kittery and going up tomorrow to to look it over. Condition is listed at 90%. Are there any known issues or anything I should be looking for when I'm checking it out. I know I'll need to buy a handful of O-rings. Serial number indicates the born on date is in the 90's. From what I've read, it seems the older the gun, the better.

Thanks!
–A.

If it is fixed choke see what choke it is. While your up there, see what they have for used barrels for it. Last year I picked up a vent rib barrel set up for choke tubes in 20 gauge (for the 20 LT) for short money( $120? ). If they have a used barrel more suited for what you want, see if swapping it out can be part of the deal. I have also swapped out youth stock for standard and the reverse to adapt for better fit on shooter. I would not hesitate to cut down stock and add recoil pad to it also. Have fun.

Was listed as choked Mod and from pic, its an extended, so will pick up a skeet choke.

I am curious... whats the difference 'light contour' vs 'standard contour' barrel. Are they interchangeable? Are they stamped in anyway? 'LT' or 'S'?

My dad gave me his 1100 last year, wasn't running. I took at apart and it was a mess. Asked him when he last cleaned it and he said never. He bought it 30 years ago. It's had thousands of shells through it and has killed dozens of deer and hundreds of birds. He asked me how it looked when I got it apart. I told him it looked like it washed up on shore.

The piston was seized due to rust. Soaked it in oil for a few days. Got it all apart and scrubbed. Replaced the piston. Gun runs again like new.

Tough shotgun. I believe it has the record for the most rounds through an auto loading shotgun without cleaning or lube without a failure. Something like 24,000.

i wouldn't buy anything Remington makes today but I'd buy a pre Freedom Group 1100 without hesitation.

Just be aware a 20g doesn't mean it will have less kick. Your almost better off running 1oz target loads through a 12g.
The older 1100 20 gauge on the full size receivers are not to bad....
A 1100 12g 28" barrel runs about 8 lbs , 20g LT runs about 6 lbs
With one once target loads the 20g is about 25# of energy coming at you vs 18-20# on the 12g
Gun fit can be brutal on some people if the pitch of the shotgun is not right. For ladies the pitch can really be a factor.

Just be aware a 20g doesn't mean it will have less kick. Your almost better off running 1oz target loads through a 12g.
The older 1100 20 gauge on the full size receivers are not to bad....
A 1100 12g 28" barrel runs about 8 lbs , 20g LT runs about 6 lbs
With one once target loads the 20g is about 25# of energy coming at you vs 18-20# on the 12g
Gun fit can be brutal on some people if the pitch of the shotgun is not right. For ladies the pitch can really be a factor.

Don't discount this.

12ga with the proper Ammo is the way to go.

I've been loading 3/4oz 12ga rounds that shoot off at 5900 psi and travel 1200fps.

It was an experiment of sorts for a friend who is recoil sensitive.

Last Sunday he shot straight with those loads.

A 12ga will give you maximum flexibility.

Don't discount this.

12ga with the proper Ammo is the way to go.

I've been loading 3/4oz 12ga rounds that shoot off at 5900 psi and travel 1200fps.

It was an experiment of sorts for a friend who is recoil sensitive.

Last Sunday he shot straight with those loads.

A 12ga will give you maximum flexibility.

During the lead shot shortage and price hike.... I was loading 7/8oz on the light side of 7/8 oz shot and running them around 1100 fps. Awesome little load and crushed them. I ran them several times even at 20 yards.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not a reloader yet. That's the next rabbit hole. But did go and look at it Friday and just had to take it home. Price was right and looked sharp, with the Sporting's semi-fancy furniture and blueing near 98%. But the insides were definitely neglected. So scrubbed, soaked and lubed the hell out of it Sat., then tossed in new rings and gas seals. Sunday it was busting clays like a champ. Ran a 125 rounds of skeet and 25 trap flawlessly. Couldn't be happier with it.

Careful cleaning an 1100 the insides of the reciever are sharp and will cut you pretty badly. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom