• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Tanker

Duke91

NES Member
I traded my .308 and am considering a M1 Garand tanker in .308 to fill the void in my heart. My FFL has the specimen going for $1500, supposedly on a Springfield Receiver. I have seen mixed reviews and prices, any advice or input on the model would be appreciated.

Historically there is no such thing as a M1 Rifle tanker, they are a more modern invention.

Some run OK, many (most?) don’t. It all depends on who made it.

Historically there is no such thing as a M1 Rifle tanker, they are a more modern invention.

Some run OK, many (most?) don’t. It all depends on who made it.
Well aware it’s no real milsurp. Never thought it was.

I would do your research. As stated above they need to be done right to function reliably. Find out who built it. Been awhile since I read about them. Make sure it’s done by a reliable builder. Definitely very neat rifle when they do.

If it were me looking for a M1 based 308, rather than dealing with a potentially problematic conversion I'd go for either one of the M1A Scout Squad or SOCOM 16 rifles from Springfield, or buy one of the CMP's full size Expert M1s in 308.

I'd trust Fulton Armory to build a Tanker Garand, but they want $2800 plus the M1 receiver you supply them.

Back
Top Bottom