RELOADING WARS

Ok so looking for recipes...

A few things I think I want to stick with one brand of powder and primers for now for consistencies sake. And have a few goals in mind. One I want to get a good "personal defense" load to try I will get a chrony as well. And one good plinking load thats pretty true to a normal .45 load. Would want to use "hot" primers (whatever the hell that means aren't most large pistol primers the same?) or is it kinda like spark plugs? iridium platinum plated super sparky V shaped whatevers? Well want a good ignition source, higher end cleanish powder, doesn't have to be THE cleanest just cleaner than most, and obviously, good for reloading .45! The personal defense load may not be reachable given some limits.... how does one measure pressure? Looking at pushing a 185gr. JHP to 1100 or so. Screaming I know and not something to do off the bat, lest I be down a gun, hand and or face eye etc. I get it, build up a few loads a few tenths at a time. Also was going to use some +P brass as well for that particular load (maybe a few extra pounds on the recoil spring too, and buffer a must... ) recipe hints? will be loading first the 230grn fmj's and 185grain hp's.
Guess its the ingredients now, primers and powder.... who's got favorites?

Powder for .45acp

The 2nd addition of the Lee manual lists 7.8 of Vihtavuori n340 to push a 185 gr jhp to 1100 fps. 6 grains of the same powder will push a 230 gr to 873 fps. I have no experience with this powder but it's the only one I could find that would push a 185 gr that fast. Please don't take my word for it. Get a copy of the Lee manual or contact Vihtavuori. Also,If you're making "personal defense" loads for practice, thats fine but it's not a good idea to carry reloads for self defense.

(snip) If you're making "personal defense" loads for practice, thats fine but it's not a good idea to carry reloads for self defense.

Why?
Good re-loads created by a conscientious loader should be every bit as reliable and effective as factory loads.

Unless you are peddling the old saw that the type of loads will make some difference in the aftermath of an actual self defense use. [thinking]

Good shoot / bad shoot is NOT determined by the rounds used, but by many other circumstances.

I do believe that in Ma it would be used against you, along with any other screwball idea they could come up with. You disagree and that's what keeps things interesting but there's another reason. We as reloaders are limited to the powders manufactured as reloading components. Ammo makers have access to powders that we don't. I have no doubt that you can duplicate the quality and reliability of factory ammo but without access to the same propellants it would be difficult if not impossible to duplicate the performance without exceeding the maximum pressure. They test each lot of powder and load accordingly. We don't have the means to do that.

Why?
Good re-loads created by a conscientious loader should be every bit as reliable and effective as factory loads.

Unless you are peddling the old saw that the type of loads will make some difference in the aftermath of an actual self defense use. [thinking]

Good shoot / bad shoot is NOT determined by the rounds used, but by many other circumstances.

Outstanding post!

I concur.

Darius Arbabi

Its OK!!!

If I do Reload a 185grn JHP to that velocity and god forbid need to use it, the responding LEO's will more likely than not take more note of my groupings, whether I pulled the last shot of my mozambique or what kinda holster I got. I'm in AZ, I don't think its really an issue here, actually looking into getting some NFA tax stamps for suppressed and full auto.... I got a Raging hard on for a MP5SD thats just calling to me. Course its like 20K if I don't get one built up... in which case its only like 5K [thinking][rolleyes]. But yea, I would say circumstance will dictate more than "hey did you reload these bullets? wow. they are really anti-personal/ exotic killing machines!!" Jeez, like WTF I wanna shoot him kindly or something?? [rofl][laugh2][laugh]

My biggest concern now, actually is locating space for reloading... might have to make a little portable bench thingy. meaning I may have to break it down set it up everytime I wanna reload... any good Ideas for this one guys? C clamps maybe? Have it mounted to 3/4" plywood and then clamp the crap outta that onto a smaller platform?

Savings Begins!

currently 515 in savings next pp another 200 deposit will happen. Then... well the order will go in! [laugh2] yeee haw! Then logistics! gotta make a bench... figure out where when how I am going to find a place to do this thing.... has to be really sturdy no flex people said? ill figure something out.... its gotta break down too though is the problem....
Time to think....

Also a laundry list for 3 calibers 9mm .45ACP and 8mm will be needed 3 die sets, powders primers, and like case checking and prep materials I need to figure out how to do that..... Ill ask and learn more as I go.... this table thingy needs to be worked out though as well as a storage place for the reloader itself...[thinking] [hmmm]

Where are you located? It is best to get together with an experienced reloader and have them walk you through the process. I'm just south of Worcester and would be happy to assist.

currently 515 in savings next pp another 200 deposit will happen. Then... well the order will go in! [laugh2] yeee haw! Then logistics! gotta make a bench... figure out where when how I am going to find a place to do this thing.... has to be really sturdy no flex people said? ill figure something out.... its gotta break down too though is the problem....
Time to think....

Also a laundry list for 3 calibers 9mm .45ACP and 8mm will be needed 3 die sets, powders primers, and like case checking and prep materials I need to figure out how to do that..... Ill ask and learn more as I go.... this table thingy needs to be worked out though as well as a storage place for the reloader itself...[thinking] [hmmm]

a buddy of mine has a set of 8mm dies (RCBS IIRC) that he absolutely no use for. i'm sure he'd part with them pretty cheap.

if you're gonna mailorder, BrianEnos.com is the way to go (good guy, ive ordered from him in the past).

if you're like me though, (extreme desire for instant gratification), NorthShore Firearms in middleton, MA is a stocking Dillon dealer, and may cut you a break if you're paying cash.

(they have 9mm and .45acp dies and caliber conversions in stock too! i know, because i bought a .45acp setup the other day [grin])

A few things I think I want to stick with one brand of powder and primers for now for consistencies sake. And have a few goals in mind. One I want to get a good "personal defense" load to try I will get a chrony as well. And one good plinking load thats pretty true to a normal .45 load. Would want to use "hot" primers (whatever the hell that means aren't most large pistol primers the same?) or is it kinda like spark plugs? iridium platinum plated super sparky V shaped whatevers? Well want a good ignition source, higher end cleanish powder, doesn't have to be THE cleanest just cleaner than most, and obviously, good for reloading .45! The personal defense load may not be reachable given some limits.... how does one measure pressure? Looking at pushing a 185gr. JHP to 1100 or so. Screaming I know and not something to do off the bat, lest I be down a gun, hand and or face eye etc. I get it, build up a few loads a few tenths at a time. Also was going to use some +P brass as well for that particular load (maybe a few extra pounds on the recoil spring too, and buffer a must... ) recipe hints? will be loading first the 230grn fmj's and 185grain hp's.
Guess its the ingredients now, primers and powder.... who's got favorites?

"hot" or magnum primers aren't really needed for .45acp. personally i've used most of the commonly available primers (CCI, Winchester, Federal). Winchester's have been 100% reliable for me to date. so have the CCI's. i've started using federal large pistol primers for my .45acp loads since they tend to be a little easier to light off (and i'm going to be loading for a S&W 625 that's got a really light trigger). one thing to note with magnum primers...unless you actually need them (ie .357mag/.44mag/etc), i'd suggest against using them to start. you can get pressure spikes from the hotter primers, and if you happen to couple that with a fairly heavy load, you could exceed the recommended pressures for that cartridge/your gun. obviously results could be disastrous). aside from that though, the CCI's and winchesters have been great in my glock and j-frame.

as far as powders: stick to what your loading manuals recommend. i use Winchester 231 for all my pistol loads. it's a REALLY versatile powder, and has proven to be VERY accurate for me, as well as very clean. i recommend you get a least a couple of loading manuals, and compare load data between them. i have the Lyman's 49th edition, the newest Speer manual, and the newest Hornady manual.

as a rule, you don't "measure" pressure. you go by your load manuals, which spec out an "expected" velocity and pressure, based on the size/weight/type of the bullet used, and the powder and type of primer used. this is why they give you a minimum and maximum load. personally ive found i get my best accuracy out to ~ 50feet staying about 1/2 to 1 grain under the max. your results may vary. trying loading 10 rounds at one charge, and 10 at another charge, and compare the two.

185gr bullets for a .45? weird. never found them that light locally. i stick to 230gr RNL for practice, and i'm actually going to be experimenting with a ~270gr RNFPL for pin shoots / plates when a buddy of mine gives me a few bullets to play with (he casts them). one thing to note: figure out what you're comfortable shooting. light bullet + fast powder = more kick (less muzzle flip). heavier bullet+fast powder=more muzzle flip (less kick). heavier bullet+slower powder = more flip, more kick (think .44magnum)

dont worry about using "+P" brass. its no different than your standard WWB brass. plus, assuming you aren't loading to +p levels all the time, your .45acp brass will last you almost indefinitely. (.45acp is a fairly low-pressure cartridge)

550B vs 650.

Theres a few things that are different that I was noticing on the dillon site about these two units. Question does the automated case feeder actually "feed" cases onto the shell plate while it rotates? or does it just make the cases upright for manually pulling and placing on the plate? For like 200 bucks extra it better get them damn things onto that plate.... anyone know?

Theres a few things that are different that I was noticing on the dillon site about these two units. Question does the automated case feeder actually "feed" cases onto the shell plate while it rotates? or does it just make the cases upright for manually pulling and placing on the plate? For like 200 bucks extra it better get them damn things onto that plate.... anyone know?

It feeds them right into the shellplate. You don't have to touch them after you dump them in the hopper.

So let me get this straight....

It feeds them right into the shellplate. You don't have to touch them after you dump them in the hopper.

So pretty much get a setting for a load, do this manually for a few tries, find a good throw of powder, set up bullets in bullet feeding thingy, load up the case feeder, load primer tubes. Then start cranking that handle going to town? really?? just like that? The 650 auto indexes... Also I think its bullet think drops a bullet right onto the belled case mouth? Assuming it does that as well, if its loading them into the shell plate... wow kinda like set it and forget it? Checking every like 15th round for weight maybe?

You still have to place a bullet on top of each case. There are aftermarket bullet feeders available for it (K.I.S.S. is one) but they're an extravagance unless you're loading 1000's per month of the same caliber.

OH GOD WHAT DID I DO?!?!

$998.99 later.... I have a 650xl on order with dies. and some other tools...

Oh lord what have I done.... there goes that tax return!!! [laugh][rofl][laugh2][smile]

Back
Top Bottom