• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading training material

wdemr67

NES Member
I am looking to get into reloading but know nothing about it.
Are there any training materials anyone would recommend?
I am mechanically inclined and have worked in labs preforming precision testing so I am comfortable with my ability to do this work once I have some guidance and reference material
Thanks beforehand for any help

There aren't any difficulty mechanically as its all just place, pull, place, pull or change out minor parts for calibers. Most of your training is reading on safety Dos and Donts and load data. Search up reloading 101s on youtube and watch various videos with different people and you will find out its all pretty much the same. Get brass, deprime brass, clean brass, then onto the loading machine to prime, size, powder, bullet, crimp and another couple steps if doing rifle rounds.

I recommend on reading or watching some video on things that can go wrong if you are not careful to ensure you know the consequences. IE Squib rounds, double charge rounds, etc.

I started out watching numerous youtube videos and asking bunch of questions on various online forums before I started loading. So start with getting an up to date reloading book (lyman on amazon) , go on reddit and use r/reloading to ask questions, and start gathering load data for the powder that you can get your hands on.

Last edited:
I also took Jim's class recently ,you can't go wrong on this. You leave with exactly what you need to start reloading that day. It's presented in a truly unique environment, with an instructor who knows the in's and outs of reloading. You won't regret this decision.

I also took Jim's class recently ,you can't go wrong on this. You leave with exactly what you need to start reloading that day. It's presented in a truly unique environment, with an instructor who knows the in's and outs of reloading. You won't regret this decision.

Yep. http://massreloading.com

Buy a couple reloading manuals and read them. I have the Lyman 49th, Hornady 9th, and latest Sierra books.

Buy Lymans 50th and read the reloading section. It's also a good manual to have for load data when you start loading. After you get a feel for what is involved, take Jim's class.

Buy Lymans 50th and read the reloading section. It's also a good manual to have for load data when you start loading. After you get a feel for what is involved, take Jim's class.

Piling on... +1 for Jim.
I took Jims' class quite a while ago, before he started offering the turnkey class plus equipment package.
Doing the class alone was great, but then I went on a buying spree... I wanted to get into progressive immediately (not really needed for the volumes I have loaded to date) and then I wanted a good beam scale, so to Craigslist I go and buy a collection of stuff for one or two pieces, and buy some other stuff on eBay, and some other stuff from Craigslist...

You get my point. Take Jims' class, spend the money and collect all the equipment you need to start and load in one purchase (minus brass primers and projectiles) and jump in.

If you can read and follow instructions you should have no problem reloading.
Hands on visual learning like Jim's class might be a quicker way. I know I learn quicker by seeing and doing.

Get some books I have the lymans hornady and a few paper back caliber specific. Take a class or find someone to show you. Youtube is a decent source but just because its on the internet doesn't mean it true.

I taught my self about 40 years ago on a Lyman Sar-T and still have all my fingers and eyes. Never had a Kaboom.. but back in the day I knew know one that reloaded and there was no internet so I read the Lyman's manual many times. Today if I was going to start I would definitely take Jim's class.

This has nothing to do with subject but driving by Blue Northern is closed and sorry to see. I know Jin had run classes out of there in the past...

When I started about 25 years ago I bought Speer's and Hornady's reloading manuals. They show every step in the process as well as loading data for just about every cartridge under the sun. Personally, I don't think you need to take a class. Everything you need to know is in the books.

Last edited:
I have an NRA Basic Metallic Reloading class coming up on Sunday 4/30 at GOAL. Here's a course description:

http://www.massreloading.com/basiccourse.html

If you take it and don't think it was worth it, I'll give you your money back.

(That goes for anyone else too).

You can sign up here: https://gmod-connect.aptean.com/f/fid.php?id=c13673ca48b50b7142351fbf216bea82

Just to be clear, this is the traditional class and not the enhanced class with the press etc?

Back
Top Bottom