Reloading Tightgroup (hodgdon) .45ACP

FLHTC

NES Member
I’m new to reloading cartridges; well I did some reloading in a previous life, now I'm back.
I bought Tighgroup powder on a suggestion from a friend; I’m reloading 225 grain SWC. I don’t see a specific load for these on the Hodgdon website. They have a recipe for 230 gr. round nose but not 225 gr. SWC.
Does anyone have a specific recipe that they can suggest? The application will be plinking and maybe IDPA .

Thanks.

If you use the same loads for 230 gr RNL you're not going to blow up your gun or anything. Most of the 230gr titegroup loads listed are pretty conservative. I've run up to 5 grs at 1.260 OAL with 230 gr plated bullets, but you will probably want to try something somewhat lower than that if you're just plinking.... loads a lot lower than that will still make major, too.

-Mike

I have been using Titegroup in .40 loading IPSC major ammo for my Para Longslide with great results. The powder burns extremely clean, is relatively cheap, and you don't have to use a lot of it ( about 20% less that I use with WW 231 to get the same velocity). An added plus is that TG costs less than 231.

I was happy as a pig in **** until I tried to use Titegroup for IPSC minor loads (130gr lead at 1000 fps) to use in my SIG P 226 9mm Production gun. I immediately began to suffer failures to extract/eject. I changed the recoil spring in the SIG with no improvement. I them went to a heavier bullet (147gr) with some improvement in reliability, but a majority of the fired cases had serious dings in the mouth (most likely from contact with the ejection port); so bad that the resizing die could not remove them.

At this point I rechecked my loads with the Hodgdon reloading data, only to find that they were well within the accepted range of the recommended powder/bullet combination. I finally gave up and switched back to WW 231.

All of my problems went away. Since then I have had no problems with the SIG. It is 100% reliable with WW small pistol primers, but has a few misfires with Tula and has NO failures to extract/eject. As a final experiment, I tried some of my old match ammo (125gr Precision/3.6 TG) and experienced FTEs within 50 rounds. I have no idea what is causing this problem but, needless to say, I have given up on TG for 9mm loads.

I use Titegroup for .45acp with lead bullets. I use 4.5 gr. with a 230 gr and 5 gr. with a 200 gr. These loads are mild in my guns but I wouldn't go heavier without talking to Hodgdon first. Titegroup is pretty fast so a small increase makes a big difference.

I use Titegroup for .45acp with lead bullets. I use 4.5 gr. with a 230 gr and 5 gr. with a 200 gr. These loads are mild in my guns but I wouldn't go heavier without talking to Hodgdon first. Titegroup is pretty fast so a small increase makes a big difference.
Hodgdon is going to cover their ass. If you really want to tweak your loads start low and work up looking for pressure signs and run them over a chrony.

Back
Top Bottom