Reloading & Glocks

Have people had success shooting reloads in their Glocks?
I have a g22 in .40 and a g36 in .45 and in several places in the manuals for both it says DO NOT shoot reloads in them, yet I think I've heard of people doing it? Anyone know why they put that in there?

I am fairly new to reloading but will probably be loading either FMJ or CMJ Montana Gold rounds in both calibers.

I have a g22 in .40 and a g36 in .45 and in several places in the manuals for both it says DO NOT shoot reloads in them, yet I think I've heard of people doing it? Anyone know why they put that in there?

I am fairly new to reloading but will probably be loading either FMJ or CMJ Montana Gold rounds in both calibers.

the warning against using reloaded ammo is pretty common in any semi by any manufacturer. I was reading the manual for a Beretta 8000f over the weekend and it said the same thing.

The big concern in all Glocks is lead fouling of the factory barrels because of the type of rifling they use, and in .40 S&W Glocks the amount of unsupported casing could cause a less than perfect reloaded case to fail causing the dreaded Glock KB.

Be prepared for many differing opinions on the subject.

As for the reloading just don't use lead in a factory barrel, go to a Lone Wolf or other aftermarket supplier, or use FMJ/CMJ , watch the casings for bulging, and don't make them too hot.

I use KKM barrels in all my non-9mm Glocks.

The "bulging cases" can be a problem when you reload. Because of the reduced chamber support, stock Glock barrels cause the bottom of the cases to bulge upon firing. In .40 and 10mm the bulge can be big enough to be visible to the unaided eye.

Many sizing dies do not completely remove the bulge. If you reload a case without removing the bulge, and that reloaded round ends up in the barrel with the bulge back in the unsupported part of the chamber, you risk a case rupture. The risk is highest in a high pressure cartridge like the .40 S&W.

I have a Glock 19 and have shot only reloads in it for the past year. I still have all my fingers.

Glock 21 - ~45,000 reloaded rounds and counting.

All with jacketed or copper washed bullets.

Actually, I think the caution is to NOT SHOOT CAST LEAD BULLETS in them.

Redding has a new push-through die (model "G-Rx") that allows complete resizing of 40 cases shot from Glocks.

There are tons of threads on here about reloading Glocks. I reload for my Glock but I use an aftermarket barrel to avoid the "Glock bulge" which will weaken the brass and can cause potential failure in reloads. It also allows you to shoot lead and jacketed bullets. If you're gonna reload for your Glock I highly recommend an aftermarket barrel to be safe.

I have been shooting several Glocks (21, 22, 17, and 24L) for many years using hard cast lead bullets almost exclusively (jacketed/plated for matches) with no problems. The polygonal rifling didn't lead any worse than conventional rifling and is actually easier to clean. I am not anal about cleaning my pistols (with the exception of matches) so these guns have gone 400 or 500 rounds between cleanings. The Glock-lead problem is pure BS, IMHO.

from my Beretta instruction manual:
7. USE PROPER AMMUNITION.
Only use factory-loaded new ammunition manufactured to industry specifications: CIP (Europe and elsewhere) SAAMI (U.S.A.).
The use of reloaded or remanufactured ammunition can increase the likelihood of excessive cartridge pressures casehead ruptures or other defects in the ammunition which can cause damage your firearm and injury to yourself or others nearby.

way in the back there is an additional warning.

Lead bullets have a tendency to cause bore leading which may dramatically increase the discharge pressure. Make sure to remove all chamber and bore lead accumulation after each shooting.

Sounds to me it is standard gun manufacturer CYA language

Good info., thanks for all the replies everyone, so the consensus looks like as long as I don't make them too hot, use jacketed bullets, and carefully inspect every shell casing (which I would do anyways,) then it will probably be fine....or better yet even buy a drop-in A/M barrel.

I have been shooting several Glocks (21, 22, 17, and 24L) for many years using hard cast lead bullets almost exclusively (jacketed/plated for matches) with no problems. The polygonal rifling didn't lead any worse than conventional rifling and is actually easier to clean. I am not anal about cleaning my pistols (with the exception of matches) so these guns have gone 400 or 500 rounds between cleanings. The Glock-lead problem is pure BS, IMHO.

The problem there would be the partially unsupported chamber if you're using a stock barrel. There is a very noticeable bulge in the brass which can lead to brass failure in the chamber if you're using it for reloading.

The problem there would be the partially unsupported chamber if you're using a stock barrel. There is a very noticeable bulge in the brass which can lead to brass failure in the chamber if you're using it for reloading.

I have reloaded the brass many times to the point that a "belt" has formed at the base of the cases. Still no problems.

When I sort through brass, and find pieces that have that bulge, I run those separately through a single station sizer. I look the result over carefully. Most of the time, they end up fine. I do toss a few.

It's a serious HEADSPACE issue that causes that to happen.

As the round is fired, the brass jumps instantly to the back of the gun, exposing the sides of the brass to little or no support. In theory, it should happen to every shot fired (should be consistant brass markings).
---------- excerpted from an on line article on the subject------------------
Headspace checking:
Semi-Automatic Pistols. Semi-autos need to be checked for barrel lockup before gauging. With the slide in battery, take careful note (or a photograph) of exactly where the slide is aligned with some point on the frame (or how far the barrel engages in the ejection port). Then remove the extractor and recoil assembly from the slide. The gauge is chambered and the slide is gently pushed forward until it stops. The slide/barrel should return to the exact same position with a go gauge. The slide/barrel should stop somewhere short of fully in battery with a no-go.

Living with headspace:
Semi-auto pistols chambered for straight-walled cartridges can usually live with somewhat long chambers. Unless it's a target pistol, it's likely that no one will ever notice an excessive headspace condition on most of these pistols. An extreme case of this condition would be when someone decides it's a good idea to try shooting some .40 S&W ammo through a 10mm pistol. I've seen it done more than once, and the pistols all worked fine. According to SAAMI specs, the maximum length of a 10mm chamber is 1.004 inch, with the minimum length of a .40 S&W case being 0.840. This represents a theoretical 0.164-inch excessive headspace problem! However, as long as the round in the chamber is held in place by the pistol's extractor, it fires and sometimes shoots reasonably well. Is this dumb? Of course; it's never smart to intentionally chamber and fire ammo other than what the arm was manufactured to use.
------------ end of excerpt ------------

The .40 S+W/10mm thing demonstrates where the issue someones gets amplified. It has to do with the max length of the brass, since the front edge of the brass is where the pistol round is supposed to be up against the chamber lip.

Suggestion: If you are taper crimping the bullet too tightly, it's possible that rounds are chambering deeper than they might otherwise. That leaves more space behind the round, unsupported. Over time, the gun's extractor takes the beating, the brass gets bulged, and since the gun cycles, you just live with it. Try backing off on the taper crimp. The test for a tight enough taper crimp is to fire the gun with the muzzle just a few feet from a clean sheet of paper. If it leaves a spiral spray around the bullet hole, it's too loose. When the spiral spray goes away, it's just right. And, semi auto's should not get roll crimped. That takes away too much of the needed case length. Remember, the semi's are headspaced on the front end of the case mouth.

Last edited:
When I sort through brass, and find pieces that have that bulge, I run those separately through a single station sizer. I look the result over carefully. Most of the time, they end up fine. I do toss a few.

It's a serious HEADSPACE issue that causes that to happen.

As the round is fired, the brass jumps instantly to the back of the gun, exposing the sides of the brass to little or no support. In theory, it should happen to every shot fired (should be consistant brass markings).
---------- excerpted from an on line article on the subject------------------
Headspace checking:
Semi-Automatic Pistols. Semi-autos need to be checked for barrel lockup before gauging. With the slide in battery, take careful note (or a photograph) of exactly where the slide is aligned with some point on the frame (or how far the barrel engages in the ejection port). Then remove the extractor and recoil assembly from the slide. The gauge is chambered and the slide is gently pushed forward until it stops. The slide/barrel should return to the exact same position with a go gauge. The slide/barrel should stop somewhere short of fully in battery with a no-go.

Living with headspace:
Semi-auto pistols chambered for straight-walled cartridges can usually live with somewhat long chambers. Unless it's a target pistol, it's likely that no one will ever notice an excessive headspace condition on most of these pistols. An extreme case of this condition would be when someone decides it's a good idea to try shooting some .40 S&W ammo through a 10mm pistol. I've seen it done more than once, and the pistols all worked fine. According to SAAMI specs, the maximum length of a 10mm chamber is 1.004 inch, with the minimum length of a .40 S&W case being 0.840. This represents a theoretical 0.164-inch excessive headspace problem! However, as long as the round in the chamber is held in place by the pistol's extractor, it fires and sometimes shoots reasonably well. Is this dumb? Of course; it's never smart to intentionally chamber and fire ammo other than what the arm was manufactured to use.
------------ end of excerpt ------------

The .40 S+W/10mm thing demonstrates where the issue someones gets amplified. It has to do with the max length of the brass, since the front edge of the brass is where the pistol round is supposed to be up against the chamber lip.

Suggestion: If you are taper crimping the bullet too tightly, it's possible that rounds are chambering deeper than they might otherwise. That leaves more space behind the round, unsupported. Over time, the gun's extractor takes the beating, the brass gets bulged, and since the gun cycles, you just live with it. Try backing off on the taper crimp. The test for a tight enough taper crimp is to fire the gun with the muzzle just a few feet from a clean sheet of paper. If it leaves a spiral spray around the bullet hole, it's too loose. When the spiral spray goes away, it's just right. And, semi auto's should not get roll crimped. That takes away too much of the needed case length. Remember, the semi's are headspaced on the front end of the case mouth.

In a perfect world with perfect chambers and brass, the round headspaces on the case mouth. I reality most rounds headspace on the extractor. Even if a round would headspace on the case mouth on its first firing, the case will shorten with use and you are back to the extractor again. I have found very little difference in performance between long and short cases.

Back
Top Bottom