• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

reloading equipment suggestions

Hi everyone,
I am in the market for some reloading equipment for reloading .223. I currently reload .45ACP and have a Dillon 550B with a digital scale and all the trimmings. I am new to rifle though and would like some advise on case trimmers, dies, and other misc. tools you need for rifle, but not so much for pistol. I am looking for quality stuff that will last a lifetime and provide very consistant results. I won't say money is no object, but I don't mind paying for a great product if it will give me the desired results. Would it be wise to invest in a single stage press for rifle? Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

The Dillon should work fine. What type rifle are you shooting and what type of shooting will you be doing?

B

I use a Dillon 550 for pistol, and a few rifle calibers, when I plan to crank out more than a couple hundred. I use an old Herters "O" press for most rifle calibers, in conjunction with a Pact computer dispenser system for stick powders, and an RCBS rotary measure for ball, or fine grain powders.
I have both the Lyman & RCBS electric case trimmers, and use the Lyman the most. I trim bottle neck rifle brass, & uniform the primer pockets after every use, but don't bother with pistol, or straight wall cases. They don't move much, if any.
I have done hundreds of thousands of rounds over the years with virtually no problems. Just keep them cleaned & lubed.

I will be shooting a Bushmaster v match 20" fluted barrel .233 with a 1 in 9 twist. Right now I just plink, but I would love to get into benchrest.

Your Dillon will do everything you need. I would recommend getting a RCBS precision mic. so you set up your dies to properly resize the brass. You should also make sure to trim your brass. Depending on the chamber you have, over length brass can be a potential safety problem. I'm not sure what Bushmaster puts into those rifles.

It might not be a bad idea to read this article about reloading for semi autos.

As far as benchrest, do you mean informally shooting it off of a bench or the competitions? I think in a registered match you would seriously be outclassed with that rifle. I'm not sure that they even allow semi autos.

B

I started loading .223 on my 650 over the winter. I collected these links:

(anything by "george" on the BE forum is good)
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17010&hl=rifle
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38026&hl=
http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

I use a Dillon die set (not carbide) and have upgraded to a Redding micrometer seating die to make adjustments for OAL with different bullets easier. I have a Wilson trimmer, case gauge (a must!), and case prep tools. I got the Stoney point measurement tools but they'd be more useful with a bolt gun.

I bought an extra tool head that has just the full length resize die in it. I run the brass through it, trim, and then run it through the machine again with the other tool head with the powder measure, seating die, and crimp die. I bought a single stage thinking it would be good to have too. I haven't needed it at all though.

Check out www.6mmbr.com for benchrest/super precision stuff. It is a different approach. There are some articles in the archives there with 550s in use though. The book Handloading for Competition by Zediker and Tubb's rifle reloading dvd from Smartflix.com were great. Tubb demonstrates the use of a 550 in his dvd.

sounds like the set-up I was considering, the dies I mean. What exactly does a case gauge do? I will look at the sites you recomended.... thans for the info!

The Wilson gauge does two things. It is cut to spec as a chamber so you can use it as a guide to set your resize die for the correct headspace on one side and it is cut for length to quickly check for the need to a trim resized case on the other.

I bought my Wilson stuff from Sinclair.

ok, I know what you mean. I have one of those for .45....it makes sure the round will chamber, right?

Sounds like what you have for the 45 is a cartridge guage. there is a bit of difference between a straight wall pistol case and a bottleneck cartridge. One of the main functions of a cartridge headspace guage is it assists you in setting up the sizing die so you don't push the shoulder back to far on the case, or not pushing it back far enough, either of which can cause problems. They are real easy to use and not that expensive. You can also use it to measure the OAL of the case to see if it needs trimming. I have one rifle that I neck size only and the tool is indispensible. The 45 headspaces on the case mouth so as long as you adhear to case length limits you will be fine. Most bottleneck rifle cartridges headspace on the shoulder which is why having properly adjusted dies is so imprortant.[grin]

This is just my opinion but for plinking I don't even bother reloading for my ARs. Ammo is still pretty cheap and a day at the range can burn up ammo real, real, fast. Hunting or competition is a different story, reloading the 223 for those reasons can really pay off. Again just my opinion!

my two bits
Walter.....

Last edited:
For a case trimmer, you can't go wrong with the Forster.
It can also be set up to turn or ream necks.
When you order it, get all four shellholder collets and that will cover every caliber that you will ever need. When you get it, PM me and I'll show you how to set it up +/- 0.001 in a few seconds.
I bought mine in 1969 and it still works just fine.

these are great suggestions guys. thanks for everyone's input. I am compiling a list as I look into all of this information. There's so many choices out there it can make your head spin. I was origionally looking at a forster, jhrosier, but figured I'ld ask some people with experience with them....I think it's a toss up between that and the lyman.

For pistol ammo, look at something with production capability. I'd suggest you check out the Dillon Square Deal B, as it can be upgraded when you are ready.

I still have my Rock Chucker, but all it does now is size/deprime rifle brass and remove the milspec crimp.

Your original post is about reloading .223. A single stage - such as the Rockchucker - is the absolute best option for reloading bottle-necked cases. There are a lot more stages of reloading that you need to be concerned with when reloading these type cases as opposed to pistol rounds.

Your original post is about reloading .223. A single stage - such as the Rockchucker - is the absolute best option for reloading bottle-necked cases.

Hard to beat a single-stage press for cost-effectiveness for rifle cartridges. However, the OP is already running a 550, so he's no rookie. I thought the idea of committing the 550 to his .45 ammo while getting the intermediate-level SDB would provide the higher level of attention rifle cartridges require, with the benefit of increased productivity over a single-stage press.

I do my .223 prep on the Rock Chucker, then the actual loading on the 550.

I also use my Rock Chucker for .223 resizing. I then tumble the resized brass to remove the lube. Unfortunately, the flash holes can become clogged with corn cob grit. I do my reloading on a Dillon 450. Since the brass has already been resized, I use a Lee depriming die in station #1. This clears the flash holes of tumbling material, saving me lot of time and trouble.

I use an RCBS power case trimmer; trims and chamfers the case mouth in one operation (about $175). My .223 loads are grouping .343 for five rounds at 100 yds with Dillon dies, Sierra 69gr hpbt bullets, and once fired military brass. My next step is a Redding Competition Seating Die and carefully prepared brass to reduce group size.

I have been using Dillon presses for many years (I am the proud owner of an RL 300, 450, 550B and 1050). I once owned an SD and hated it. The 550 is a much better machine, well worth the extra $.

I just picked up a second 550. I could have gotten a casefeeder for the same price, but I liked the idea of having a press for each primer size.

One machine will do .38 Super and .40, with some .223; the other will do .45.

That's what my origional thinking was, to keep my dillon 550 dedicated to .45 and purchase a seperate single stage press to reload .223. That way I could be more precise instead of just cranking out rounds like I do with the Dillon. Being VERY new to rifle reloading, I was just looking to see how all of you reload and what you have for equipment and what I will need. I am going for accuracy, not quantity. Again your suggestions have been very useful and much appreciated.

Great site, GTO Shooter. I like his set up and I could certainly do that with my 550B. This appears to be the most cost effective means I have right now I think. As it stands right now I will probably skip the single stage press and just work off the Dillon.

First of all, looking at the Dillon catalog I find NO listing for .223 in the SDB. The opening in the press is too short for rifle cartridges.

Next, some years ago the Blue Press had coverage of reloading for the AZ Jr Rifle Team using Dillon presses. IIRC, they used a Dillon motorized case trimmer, the 1200 B. Of great interest was the process used to prep the cases and then load the ammo. Perhaps this article is available thru Dillon.

Another motorized trimmer is the Gracey (circa $240). Very quick and accurate in trimming sized cases.

dd

Great site, GTO Shooter. I like his set up and I could certainly do that with my 550B. This appears to be the most cost effective means I have right now I think. As it stands right now I will probably skip the single stage press and just work off the Dillon.

I found another site today when I was looking for some info on .223 brass:
National Match Competition Forum

Check out the "Loading Bench" area. There are lots of .223 tips, lots of 550 specific stuff. You have to register to browse the forum. I'm sure some of the Highpower guys here are familiar with site.

Back
Top Bottom