• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(Registered) Guns Per Capita by State 2021

ETA Just checked, the numbers they are using are total NFA registered items, so they are including silencers and destructive devices. For example, they use the number 588,696 for the total number of guns in Texas. Here is the actual NFA breakdown for Texas as of April, 2017:
Machine-gun 36,534
Any Other Weapon 7,182​
Destructive Device 250,568​
Silencer 242,859​
Short Barreled Rifle 43,354​
Short Barreled Shotgun 8,199​
TOTAL 588,696​

Typical of those who know almost nothing about firearms.
Wow, I expected the MG numbers for Texas to be a lot higher, Just my usual Texas FFL alone accounts for approximately 1% of the total.

Previous such 'reports" generally ranked New Hampshire as having the most registered full-auto per capita, but still end up claiming we're in the bottom 10% in terms of overall ownership rate despite other reports suggesting that (back before constitutional carry) ~10% of eligible adults held an active pistol license.

their source link even says:

"The following table shows the number of registered firearms in the U.S. by state.3 While reading, it's important to remember that only six states and the District of Columbia require the registration of firearms.4 The sum of registered firearms equals only 6,058,390, a far cry from the 393 million total in America. Still, this can give us an idea of how gun ownership breaks down by state. "

The table beneath that says MA has ~39k guns.

With 400K LTC holders in the commonwealth, this seems patently stupid.

OK, here are the actual data the original “research” was based on:

NFA-FIrearms-By-State.png

Taken from the original ATF doc and converted to a png since it is over 10000 characters as a doc. I have a copy of the document as a Word .docx file if anyone wants it (just PM me).

So I decided to play with some of these numbers. These are based on the 2018 population estimates from the Census Bureau.

Best state for machine-gun owners: Wyoming with 1 registered machine-gun for every 5 people in the state.[mg]
Massachusetts, 1 for every 427.
New Hampshire, 1 for every 291.
Texas, 1 for every 114.

Maryland is punching above its weight too, isn't it?

Had to redo my math on the numbers. My SS had some columns mixed up. I was looking at Destructive Devices instead of Machine-guns Here are the corrected numbers:
Turns out when you look at the correct numbers, New Hampshire takes the prize, with 1 machine-gun for every 60 residents. [cheers][mg]
Massachusetts, 1 for every 1030.
Texas, 1 for every 784.
Connecticut comes in second at a surprising 1 for every 67 residents (something must be throwing that number off).
Wyoming drops to a respectable 1 for every 323 residents.

I’m thinking maybe @one-eyed Jack might have something to do with NH’s victory.

And it is impressive that Wyoming has 1 Destructive Device for every 5 residents.

Had to redo my math on the numbers. My SS had some columns mixed up. I was looking at Destructive Devices instead of Machine-guns Here are the corrected numbers:
Turns out when you look at the correct numbers, New Hampshire takes the prize, with 1 machine-gun for every 60 residents. [cheers][mg]
Massachusetts, 1 for every 1030.
Texas, 1 for every 784.
Connecticut comes in second at a surprising 1 for every 67 residents (something must be throwing that number off).
Wyoming drops to a respectable 1 for every 323 residents.

I’m thinking maybe @one-eyed Jack might have something to do with NH’s victory.

And it is impressive that Wyoming has 1 Destructive Device for every 5 residents.
They are not all registered in TX

Back
Top Bottom