• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refrigerator Stopped Working??

mitch28

NES Member
Not sure how old it is. Light comes on so power
to it is okay. Call home repair service? Thanks.
Mitch

Does it make any noise? If you post the make and model number that might help too. Could just be a fuse or thermistor, probably $2 or $10 parts, worst case your compressor blew up. If it's like a $1k fridge and you can actually get parts for it it's worth fixing. If it's a $400 home depot POS I would just get a new one.

Does it make any noise? If you post the make and model number that might help too. Could just be a fuse or thermistor, probably $2 or $10 parts, worst case your compressor blew up. If it's like a $1k fridge and you can actually get parts for it it's worth fixing. If it's a $400 home depot POS I would just get a new one.
And just like that it turns into a new gun safe thread!

Do you know how to use a volt meter? Take the cover off the back and clean everything. There's probably a really simple circuit that has a fuse, thermistor, thermostat, relay, etc. Check all the cheap components. All those parts are a couple of bucks.

Try unplugging the fridge for a few minutes, and plug it back in. That forces the controller board to reboot, which can sometimes clear things up.
Next, see if the freezer is maintaining temperature. It helps to have one of those little thermometers you can get at the local grocer. Normally the freezer provides the cold air for the fridge compartment.
Check to see if there is excess ice in the freezer and/or ducts leading into the fridge. This can be due to problems with the defrost heater or thermostat.
Many units have an actuated door in the ducting that can fail and cause the fridge compartment to be off temperature.

Thanks all! Dracut Appliance, where it was purchased,
is going to check it.
Mitch
So, it don't need to be that old to have R-22 in it. If it does its game over for that fridge. Even if you could replace the compressor to the 134 I believe the compressor is likely $500 just to buy it let alone replace and recharge it. You can get a new top freezer model for less than $1000 bucks.

So, it don't need to be that old to have R-22 in it. If it does its game over for that fridge. Even if you could replace the compressor to the 134 I believe the compressor is likely $500 just to buy it let alone replace and recharge it. You can get a new top freezer model for less than $1000 bucks.
Who the hell buys top freezer units anyway?

That's all that would fit in my house!!
Bottom freezer so you don’t stand on your head getting into the drawers. 😂

We had a temporary 30” when ours died a few years back and it looked stupid sitting in the cabinets. It fit more food than the 33” POS GE Cafe’ without ice in the door we bought.
When this GE sputters my wife and I already decided not one penny will be spent on any repair or service. That’s how much we hate this box.

Bottom freezer so you don’t stand on your head getting into the drawers. 😂

We had a temporary 30” when ours died a few years back and it looked stupid sitting in the cabinets. It fit more food than the 33” POS GE Cafe’ without ice in the door we bought.
When this GE sputters my wife and I already decided not one penny will be spent on any repair or service. That’s how much we hate this box.
We had a 30in Subzero...when the house was being built, the kitchen planner argued with us that SZ didn't make a 30in...only 36

Yep this.

Also is the freezer buried in frost and coils frosted up? Might be worth letting it thaw out then plug back in to see how it does. If somebody failed to fully close the doors for a long time that can happen.

What brand?

Try www.applianceblog.com. They helped me out a couple weeks ago. We got a new fridge in September and suddenly it stopped cooling and would just display off. My 6yr old hit the right combination of buttons to turn off the cooling system. Someone posted a service sheet with instructions to turn it back on.

If money is an issue, you should try to see if it's a simple problem (in my experience, it usually isn't). If money is less of an issue, save yourself the pain and suffering and just get a new one. Fridge's are crazy expensive these days and I'm convinced that like phones and everything else there is planned obsolescence for them.

No one cleans the damn coils. too Late here but pull the fridge from the wall, set the shop vac to blow and clean the coils. I pull the back off and blow dust everywhere to clean coils and it saves the compressor. If you are a nut like me spray the coils clean with a spray bottle of water.

I'd say if it's over 8 years old - just buy a new one.

My fridge is over 10 years old.

I have money set aside for a new one.

I'm no frills but I do want a stainless front.

No water or ice dispenser.

It's a miracle that it lasted this long!!!

I'd say if it's over 8 years old - just buy a new one.

My fridge is over 10 years old.

I have money set aside for a new one.

I'm no frills but I do want a stainless front.

No water or ice dispenser.

It's a miracle that it lasted this long!!!
Mine is 12 years old, I clean the coils 2-3x per year

We had a 30in Subzero...when the house was being built, the kitchen planner argued with us that SZ didn't make a 30in...only 36
I shrunk the size of this house by 2 feet too much in both directions. That had an effect on fridge sizes and a few other items.
One thinks totally different 18 years ago when it was being planned. I’m not building another one.
I’ll live. 😂

No one cleans the damn coils. too Late here but pull the fridge from the wall, set the shop vac to blow and clean the coils. I pull the back off and blow dust everywhere to clean coils and it saves the compressor. If you are a nut like me spray the coils clean with a spray bottle of water.
This is a good place to start.
Especially if they have pets.
Usually they’re underneath nowadays.
There’s a little plastic grill that you can pop off. Look inside with a flashlight and get the vacuum out with the crevice attachment and some 3/8 vinyl tube.
Go to town.

Back
Top Bottom