Refinishing a 10/22 receiver

I'm looking for options to refinish this Ruger 10/22 receiver. The aluminum is corroded on both the receiver body and on the trigger group body. I hit it lightly in a few places with 220 sandpaper because the paint was bubbled up and corrosion was present beneath the paint. I think it's paint and not anodizing.

I'm thinking I should media blast this and either paint it or send it out to be anodized. Prior to media blasting I know I'll need to tape up and protect the metal where the barrel fits. Are there any other surfaces where it is critical not to remove material during media blasting?

Regarding media blasting, what media should I use? I'm thinking baking soda, glass beads or even walnut shells as I'm afraid aluminum oxide would be too aggressive. Anyone know where I could buy or borrow a media blasting booth? I have a big compressor with distributed air in my garage, but I've managed to get by without a media blaster until now.

Any thoughts on anodizing vs painting? Blueing os obviously out of the question since we're dealing with aluminum.

Oops...here are the images:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• corroded bolt and receiver.jpg
    corroded bolt and receiver.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Corroded receiver.jpg
    Corroded receiver.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 93
I would go with aluminum oxide . It should be fine. The more psi the more it will take off and it will leave a nice surface to be finished.I have a sandblaster setup with 120 alumn. oxide. PM me and maybe we can talk if you want to borrow it.

First off the corrosion in the top photo appears to be rust, corrosion of aluminum usually is white or nearly so. If it is aluminum, I would recommend staying away from alumina as a blasting media on aluminum even though it will effectively remove the oxidation, it will be very aggressive on the aluminum metal and will do irreparable damge if you err even a little bit. Without knowing the alloy or its hardness, you should start with the softest media and work up in hardness, with silica sand probably being the top end, unless the metal is steel, then the fine alumina can be used with care.

Last edited:
Aluminum really doesn't corrode. Steel does.

I've polished a 10/22 receiver before. Sandpaper does fine. I wish I had access to a media blaster though.

Back
Top Bottom