Red Dot for Bullseye

UFO

Newbie here.

I bought the Ruger Mk III Competition and am getting acquainted with it. Currently shooting iron sights and know that a red dot is in my near future.

I have searched the forum, the net and chatted with some folks about Red Dot recommendations. I am looking for something that is suitable for Bullseye competition.

The "Aimpoint" only recommendation seems expensive for my skill level. Others said get 3 MOA or less. Don't see many of those except for the Adco (made in China).

I have used an open-reflex sight and wasn't crazy about it. I think I will be partial to a 1" or 30mm tube. Also, I'm looking for an integral weaver base to keep weight down as the Ruger is already heavy enough.

Suggestions?

Check out C-More. You can get them with a variety of mounting configurations. You would probably want to get the railway which comes with a mount to clamp on to a rail. MOAs are available from 2 up to 6 or 8. They can be ordered with either a standard dial switch or a click-dial switch. Colors are red, blue, black, grey, OD green.

I have several on pistols and rifles. They are high quality and great for compeition. I think Dillon still sells the standard switch model for 209.00. The click is usually about 50.00 or 60.00 more.

UltraDot is the one that is used most often for Bullseye. They have a lifetime warranty. They have click adjustments. I like my Cmore scopes but the adjustments are sort of crude. The Cmore dots seem to be the crispest of any that I have tried.

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_004.htm

I just so happen to have a 30mm Ultradot that I was going to put in the classifieds soon. Keep an eye out.

UltraDot is the one that is used most often for Bullseye. They have a lifetime warranty.

YES! Listen to this man.

I don't shoot Bullseye, but got an UltraDot for one of my carbines at the recommendation of a friend who does shoot competitively. It is solid as a truck and light and not all that expensive either. I had thought all the dot sights pretty much came out of the same factory and were just relabeled, but the UD is really nice for the price and a cut above the other lower-price lightweight dot sights.

Are you going to be shooting indoors, such as in a league? A factor to consider is the placement of lights on the range. A C-more will likely have some reflection isssues indoors. Also, the C-more puts the dot way above the bore, you want it close to the bore. I shoot a 6 minute dot on my main gun, (Pardini) my spare is smaller, maybe a 2 minute. The large dot is easier to shoot. You're using "area" aiming.....a circle within a circle. The Ultra Dot, Match Dot with 4 sizes is a good choice.
Oh yeah....I do shoot bullseye.

Stay away from cheap dots - cheap red dots are just that - cheap.

There are a lot of stores online that cater to the bullseye shooters check out
Larry's Guns http://www.larrysguns.com/Departments/UltraDot-Optics.aspx

or http://www.championshooters.com/ or http://www.champchoice.com/

Are you going to be shooting indoors, such as in a league? A factor to consider is the placement of lights on the range. A C-more will likely have some reflection issues indoors. Also, the C-more puts the dot way above the bore, you want it close to the bore. I shoot a 6 minute dot on my main gun, (Pardini) my spare is smaller, maybe a 2 minute. The large dot is easier to shoot. You're using "area" aiming.....a circle within a circle. The Ultra Dot, Match Dot with 4 sizes is a good choice.
Oh yeah....I do shoot bullseye.

You have some very good info above.

C-More was useless to me in Bullseye. If you buy a cheap dot, as you get more comfortable, you will want better so buy a good one now.

I use the Ultradot Match Dot because I like smaller dot size and it has it as one of the choices.

I am not much of a Bulls Eye shooter but I try. (264.89 final average but I will do better this season) My Ruger MkIII with the Ultradot and the 2.5# trigger job from Greg Derr is just fine for my limited abilitiies.

Thank you!

Just a quick but sincere "thanks!" to all of you.

Didn't want you to think your time spent posting wasn't appreciated. It sincerely is and I will follow up on this good advice.

Thanks!

Congrats John!

I'm leaning toward the Hunter myself and almost pulled the trigger [grin] and headed to FS this afternoon. I need to spend some time checking weight and whether or not to go with the 22/45 model.

Hope to be seeing you in the basement sometime soon!

Ed

Adco E-Dot

After reviewing the good input form this group and others, the UltraDot MatchDot looks like the best choice. It's a little big, almost $200, and it's adjustable to a 2 MOA dot.

But....if you had a $75 gift card and could get the Adco E-Dot for free, would you? I mean, it's a 3MOA dot, integrated weaver rail, etc. And essentially free.

Waste of a gift card and just wait to get the MatchDot....or is the Adco good enough and a bargain? [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom