• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard steel match - tips for first timer?

Going to August harvard steel match as a first timer(in any competitive shooting setting), shooting in RFPO div. Could some kind veterans answer some noob questions?

First shot is at 9am, what time is a reasonable expectation to finish 6 stages?

Reloading mags between stages: my understanding is that as long as the gun is cased, I can reload mags anywhere in the range except designated safe area?

What are some good-to-know tips for a first timer? things like "bring food+water", etc.

Thanks!

It can take between 4-5 hrs depending on the speed of each squad.

Yes, ammo is pretty much allowed everywhere EXCEPT the designated safe areas. Like most people you can walk back to your gear under the shelter(s) and reload your mags when your string is up.

I always bring some food and water with me and there is usually some volunteer doing some grilling.

Don't hesitate to grab a can of spray paint and touch up the steel in between shooters. Unless you're on deck waiting to shoot you should be out there painting when the RSO calls out "range is clear."

Helping out with setup and take down is also really appreciated. If you can't make it the day before to help prop everything up then you should at least stick around after it's done. I've seen the whole place packed up in less than 30 min with people helping, otherwise it's just a couple of people doing all the leg work.

Also, remember to have fun, take your time, and safely put shots on target.

It’s a cold range, so arrive with your gun empty and bagged. Mags should be outside of this bag, so you don’t have to open it to get them. You only open your bag to remove your gun at the safe table or after you have had the RO tell you to “load and make ready” when it’s your turn to shoot. You’ll start from the low ready position, so learn how to bring your gun sights up in a timely fashion. Painting is as important as shooting, as it can slow every squad down to a crawl. Have fun and be safe. Harvard offers top tier matches and there is also food available. I hope your already signed up as there are only two spots open. Welcome to this exciting sport, where we only compete against ourselves.

Last edited:
It’s a cold range, so arrive with your gun empty and bagged. Mags should be outside of this bag, so you don’t have to open it to get them. You only open your bag to remove your gun at the safe table or after you have had the RO tell you to “load and make ready” when it’s your turn to shoot. You’ll start from the low ready position, so learn how to bring your gun sights up in a timely fashion. Painting is as important as shooting, as it can slow every squad down to a crawl. Have fun and be safe. Harvard offers top tier matches and there is also food available. I hope your already signed up as there are only two spots open. Welcome to this exciting sport, where we only compete against ourselves.
Yes, and as a cold range leave your EDC in the car.

Lot's of good advice. I'll add four things.

180: keep the muzzle pointed down range, especially when taking the gun out of the case and reloading between strings.
finger: keep your finger off the trigger and up along the slide when you're not engaging targets
magazines: If you don't have 5 magazines bring a box of ammo to the line. Ask someone and they will be happy to top off your magazines to keep things moving.
nobody cares how slow you shoot, or how many times you miss AS LONG AS YOU ARE SAFE.

Thanks all for your inputs. Looks like good times ahead.
What squad are you on? I’ll be at the match with a few others and can walk you through some things.
I'm on #5 with a friend. 12/14 on that squad is rimfire so I'm hoping to learn a lot.
Good to know "mags should be outside of this bag". my pistol bag doesn't even have exterior pocket, probably just use regular range bag...
Lot's of good advice. I'll add four things.

180: keep the muzzle pointed down range, especially when taking the gun out of the case and reloading between strings.
finger: keep your finger off the trigger and up along the slide when you're not engaging targets
magazines: If you don't have 5 magazines bring a box of ammo to the line. Ask someone and they will be happy to top off your magazines to keep things moving.
nobody cares how slow you shoot, or how many times you miss AS LONG AS YOU ARE SAFE.
have to pay extra attention when uncasing I guess... Would I get DQ'd if I accidentally 180'd when uncasing, but with action open and very visible flag in chamber?
new mags just arrived last week so I'm all set on that front.

Thanks all for your inputs. Looks like good times ahead.

I'm on #5 with a friend. 12/14 on that squad is rimfire so I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Good to know "mags should be outside of this bag". my pistol bag doesn't even have exterior pocket, probably just use regular range bag...

have to pay extra attention when uncasing I guess... Would I get DQ'd if I accidentally 180'd when uncasing, but with action open and very visible flag in chamber?
new mags just arrived last week so I'm all set on that front.
I'm on 4. Anyone that's experienced on your squad shouldn't have a problem taking a new person under their wing. Everyone that I've met at these matches has been more than helpful.

Very low-tech tip for making sure that your bag/case is pointed in the right direction: take a Sharpie and draw an arrow on the bag for downrange. When you put the gun in the bag, muzzle is always pointed in the direction of the arrow. That significantly reduces DQ potential at the "make ready". Especially as a new competitor, it's one less thing to think about as you step up to the line.

It’s a cold range, so arrive with your gun empty and bagged
just out of curiosity - that cold range directive, is it a historical thing, or was it established due to some factual accidents that happened, or other reasons?
was there a real justified precedent to establish the fact that competitors are not adequate enough mentally to be trusted to properly holster their unloaded weapons?

just curious as i watched once a wild west reenactment there with those wild octogenarians :) waving their revolvers and shooting from both hands there at harvard, and then walking around with them in open carry holsters. the steel challenge crowd is not that professional, i guess? :)

just out of curiosity - that cold range directive, is it a historical thing, or was it established due to some factual accidents that happened, or other reasons?
was there a real justified precedent to establish the fact that competitors are not adequate enough mentally to be trusted to properly holster their unloaded weapons?

just curious as i watched once a wild west reenactment there with those wild octogenarians :) waving their revolvers and shooting from both hands there at harvard, and then walking around with them in open carry holsters. the steel challenge crowd is not that professional, i guess? :)
Outside rimfire and PCC divisions, everyone is drawing from a holster in steel challenge.
Rimfire and PCC is low ready.
The cold range rule is the same in USPSA and IDPA (not club specific). Your gun is only loaded at the direction of the SO when it’s your turn to shoot. At all other times it is unloaded and holstered or bagged (rimfire and PCC)

The cold range rule is the same in USPSA and IDPA.
i did not mean anything about having gun unloaded - but about a directive to unload the gun and THEN keep it in the plastic case, instead of your holster. but it is irrelevant, who cares.
gun in a case, case in a duck, duck into a rabbit, rabbit into a fox, fox into a wolf, wolf into a bear, then use a sharpie to draw an arrow on a bear to point it downrange - as 'safety first'.
:)

i did not mean anything about having gun unloaded - but about a directive to unload the gun and THEN keep it in the plastic case, instead of your holster. but it is irrelevant, who cares.
gun in a case, case in a duck, duck into a rabbit, rabbit into a fox, fox into a wolf, wolf into a bear, then use a sharpie to draw an arrow on a bear to point it downrange - as 'safety first'.
:)
Gotcha. Bagging a gun is only required for PCC. It’s optional for all other divisions.

Cold range isn't unique to Harvard Sportsmen's Club. Almost all clubs run cold ranges. They do that because people are morons. Almost all IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge matches are run as cold ranges.

USPSA rules require a cold range. Clubs are free to make their own rules for outlaw matches and they do.

Cold range just refers to having the gun unloaded unless/until it's your turn to shoot. If you want to walk around all day with your UNLOADED pistol in a holster, that's perfectly fine. Most rimfire pistol shooters choose to bag their gun, probably just because it's so hard to find MKIV 22-45 holsters...

Rimfire rifle and PCC must be flagged, and can either be bagged or secured to a cart. If secured to a cart, the muzzle has to point in a safe direction (essentially, you can't have a gun cart with a horizontally mounted long gun pointing at everyone in front of you)

-Watch others … many look but do not ‘see’

-No caffeine beforehand (works for me!)

-Take it slow - speed will come with experience. I would rather start out slow with good/safe/ideal execution and great accuracy … where the speed will come later, with practice

-Most important - HAVE FUN!

Enjoy & tight groups!

Now only if I can find a good holster for SW victory...

so bagging rimfire rifle is also optional? as long as it's flagged?
My bad I should’ve been more clear rimfire pistol‘s don’t have to be bagged but rimfire rifles do

Just so we are all clear on these rules,..

From SCSA rules,. Section 1

1. Semi-autos must have chamber and magazine well empty.
Rimfire rifles and PCC must have chamber and magazine well
empty and bolt closed on a flag and be cased or secured in a
cart.

2. Revolvers must have all chambers/cylinders empty.

and,..

4. During the match, competitors will refrain from handling
their firearms, except when instructed by a range officer or
in designated areas (staging areas for cased long guns or
safety areas)

*pistols are either cased or holstered,.. no flag required.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom