Recommendations for a good AR15 Trigger

Bob J

NES Member
Would like to replace the one in my DPMS lower with something better for target work.....

Thought I would throw myself on the wisdom of the forum for what everyone considers the best for the money.....[grin]

There have been a few threads on this recently - try searching 'AR Trigger' in titles.

I don't have any experience with single stage AR triggers, but if you want a good dual stage, look at RRAs National Match trigger. If you want a really good dual stage, look at White Oak Armament's modified RRA NM triggers. I've had mine running for a while now, and really like it. Mine is a 4.5 pound one, they can set them lower if you want.

For great dual stage, White Oak also sells Geissele triggers, but there's a big price point change.

If your looking for a real cheap way out you can get the JP Enterprises light weight trigger spring kit. Brownells sells the kit for short money, under $15.00 if I remember correctly. cit contains new trigger group springs and instructions to polish your sear surfaces. I put one in a Colt I have and was very happy with the results. I went down to a 5lb trigger with a crisp break. I would assume similar results would be based on the initial quality of the trigger and hammer sear surfaces.

For centerfire 223 I have had good luck with the JP single stage trigger. Their trigger and hammer pins are a great deal at about $10 from Brownells. The only drawback is that this trigger uses a light hammer spring that will not reliably ignite 22LR.

For a lower that will also be used with a 22LR upper I prefer the Accuracy Speaks trigger, also available from Brownells. This unit is more expensive than the JP, but uses a full power hammer spring that is 100% reliable with 22LR ammo. Both triggers will give you a crisp 3 to 4 lb pull.

Take a good look at Accuracy Speaks trigger. I'ts one of the more expensive with good reason. Derek Martin from the Army Marksmanship Unit own's the company. I installed one in my HBAR about ten years ago. It's still as light, smoth and crisp as when installed. Many other triggers "go away" with time. I have a J&P in one of my other AR's taht works well for the money, hasn't been installed long enough to stand the test of time tho.

My Accuracy Speaks single stage trigger has ignited well over 20,000 rounds and is just as good as the day I installed it. You gotta love those 22 LR uppers.

There have been a few threads on this recently - try searching 'AR Trigger' in titles.

I don't have any experience with single stage AR triggers, but if you want a good dual stage, look at RRAs National Match trigger. If you want a really good dual stage, look at White Oak Armament's modified RRA NM triggers. I've had mine running for a while now, and really like it. Mine is a 4.5 pound one, they can set them lower if you want.

For great dual stage, White Oak also sells Geissele triggers, but there's a big price point change.

What he said. Having shot KMM's White Oak rifle, all I can say about their trigger is: WOW!

I've been looking match triggers for a while now.

I've heard some people say that any non-mil-spec trigger is going to compromise reliability (in the name of accuracy). What do you guys think? Is there a place for a NM type trigger in defensive carbine or would you just use one for target work (as the OP indicated)?

It all depends on what you want. The military trigger will most likely take more abuse with no loss of reliability. The more finely tuned match triggers will need more attention, mostly in the form of frequent cleaning.

If you are going to fight a war, the GI trigger is probably your best choice. I prefer the finer tuned match triggers, but I have no intention of abusing either the trigger or the rifle. Should I choose to expose the AR to the rough handling and abuse of combat (God forbid) it is a simple matter to install a GI trigger.

Another thumbs up for accuracy speaks. I have one in my carbine. Another nice one is the Jewell. I have one of them in my varminter. They are fully adjustable.

Geiselle SSA......Better than a USGI and just as reliable. No settings or springs to mess with, just a good drop in trigger.

Back
Top Bottom