Recommend me a 22 pistol

Ammo prices suck. I learned from the last couple of "panics" so I essentially have plenty of everything I shoot, but conservation never hurts. Lady Radtekk has bad wrists, so recoil from her EDC compact 9 gets old fairly quickly, and 4 & 6 inch plates flip up over the rack too easily. So we want a 22 to practice the basics with. So I come, hat in hand, to the NES braintrust for advice...

We both carry Springfields, 9mm for her, 45 for me. We already have a Ruger MKii and a Ruger 22 revolver. I once owned a Sig Mosquito, what an EPIC piece of shit that gun was. I have pretty much every brand and weight of 22lr ammo including cci minimags, thankfully no thunderbolt.

Being in Tennessee I can own anything available, so no stupid MA restrictions. Yes, I know, "go to the range and try a few out" but WHICH few? Aside from no Sig, what SHOULD I look at? We're not brand whores, we own Rugers, Springfields, S&Ws, even a Glock. I want something at least similar to the Springfields, more importantly I want something that doesn't suck, that is decent out of the box, and that magazines are reasonably priced for, I like having 6+ for every gun I own.

NES?

You already have my go to suggestions with the Ruger MK and revolver. Maybe something in single action? If you don't want to burn up a ton of ammo or one of my personal favorites S&W model 41.
Or i believe Springfield makes some 22 conversion kits but I have never had any luck with those.

I like my 22/45 Mark 4 pistol. Got it mostly due to it having the same grip profile as a 1911 (which I only have three of so far).

edit -- Tandemkross sells a lot of 'upgrades' for the 22/45 (and more) to make the pistol even better. Like a trigger kit that turns it really, really sweet.
I'd also be sure to get the pistol with a threaded barrel (or get it threaded) so that it's "can ready". ;)

Last edited:
22Plinkster did a very good review of the Glock, which was not positive. It was very temperamental with bullet weight, regardless of brand.

Ruger MK series, which you seem to have covered. Although the MK IV Lite would give you the option for a suppressor.
Ruger SR22 is pretty nice IMO.
Can't speak to other .22 pistols.

S&W M&P 22... It is everything the Sig Mosquito should have been but wasn’t.

I wholeheartedly agree with this with one small caveat. "S&W M&P22 Compact." The 22C is built in the US by S&W, vice Walther/Umarex. Much better build quality. I have...a few (6)of them, and I use them as the "issue pistol" for NRA Basic Pistol. They eat anything, and the size/weight work for a large number of shooters. Also, like what the Mosquito wanted to be, it's a smaller, lighter version of a "real" handgun, and makes a great companion trainer for the M&P series.

S&W Victory - pretty decent from the factory, has eaten everything except CCI quiet-22 (FTE) and feels great in my hand (YMMV)
Can pick up a light weight threaded barrel relatively cheap - Tactical Solutions Inc. - Product Detail - FR01990299 - $140.00

I did have one issue - one grip screw was not struck properly so the hex wasn't deep enough to get the allen key into correctly. S&W shipped new screws in a week.

Ruger Mark IV for a semi, S&W 617 for a revolver. Can't go wrong with either.

If you like old school, look for a Colt Woodsman or a S&W Model 17.

Some of the older High Standard target guns are really goo too.

Like my SR22... Mind you I did have to send it back at first after multiple failure to feeds, but it has been perfect since getting it back from Ruger. Would love M&P22 if they ever make it to MA compliance.

Walther PPQ 22 is a good shooter, and mimics the full size PPQ very well. I would consider it a good "training" option.

The SR22 shoots nice but that upside-down safety lever just bugs me.

I picked up a Wrangler primarily for dispatching purposes, but I find myself feeding it handfuls of ammo just for the fun of it.

ETA, I've had a MKIII for years, with a RDS on it. It's boringly accurate. I prefer the Wrangler for plinking.

If you shoot glocks, then a Glock 44 or an Advantage Arms upper.
I've got the AA upper on a Poly80 lower and it's a fun toy, plus it's the same formfactor as my G17.

You've already got the Ruger Mark II, so that leaves out the Browning Buckmark.
You might want to look at the Victory, it's nice - but it's essentially the same as the above.

Take a look at the Browning 1911-22. A friend of mine up north has one and he likes it.

Ruger Mark 4
M&P 22 compact
Taurus TX-22

3 absolute winners, Ruger and Taurus for bigger hands.

I did a side by side on 2 of them, the Ruger Mark 4 needs no introduction lol

Do not buy an SR22 before trying. It's tiny, trigger is a sponge and reliability is so so. Kids pistol compared to these 3.

Try out:
S&W M&P22 Compact
Taurus TX22
Ruger SR22

Skip the Glock 44 since you don’t carry a Glock and the other .22s listed are arguably better.

Lastly, since you’re in a free state:
Keltec CP33 with a brace:
ADC42D6C-EA2B-4191-81D9-2F755DF21B49.jpeg
AC7029BE-B031-402F-9399-0C6C91B21E9C.jpeg

These are just my opinions,.. SR22's are for people with child hands,.. Great for learning double/single action but fast to outgrow. M&P22 in full frame were made by Walther and there are no plans to make them again. Compacts are out there and are available in MA. Sig Mosquitos are unreliable and I'd rather throw rocks for plinking fun. My TX-22 is reliable but feels like shooting a squirt gun. Great price though,.. Whatever you buy make sure it's reliable. My Victory is a good gun but I hate the safety. 22/45's are great, but I do not own one.

Ruger mk1 or mk2. They stopped making them years ago. They were pretty much hand fitted back then. You can always find them used fairly cheap. I have a stainless heavy barrel mk2 that is as accurate as my Smith model 41. I have about a dozen mk1s and mk2s. They don't have the magazine safety either.

I have a Ruger SR22 and like it very much. If I ever buy another 22lR pistol it will be a Glock 44.
I handled one at my LGS and liked how it felt, very lightweight, fit my hand well and is much like my Glock 19.

These are just my opinions,.. . My TX-22 is reliable but feels like shooting a squirt gun. Great price though,..

Don't get this, is it the weight? at 17+ ounces, it weighs more than the Glock 44 and S&W 22 compact and with 17 rounds in it, much heavier.

Ammo prices suck. I learned from the last couple of "panics" so I essentially have plenty of everything I shoot, but conservation never hurts. Lady Radtekk has bad wrists, so recoil from her EDC compact 9 gets old fairly quickly, and 4 & 6 inch plates flip up over the rack too easily. So we want a 22 to practice the basics with. So I come, hat in hand, to the NES braintrust for advice...

We both carry Springfields, 9mm for her, 45 for me. We already have a Ruger MKii and a Ruger 22 revolver. I once owned a Sig Mosquito, what an EPIC piece of shit that gun was. I have pretty much every brand and weight of 22lr ammo including cci minimags, thankfully no thunderbolt.

Being in Tennessee I can own anything available, so no stupid MA restrictions. Yes, I know, "go to the range and try a few out" but WHICH few? Aside from no Sig, what SHOULD I look at? We're not brand whores, we own Rugers, Springfields, S&Ws, even a Glock. I want something at least similar to the Springfields, more importantly I want something that doesn't suck, that is decent out of the box, and that magazines are reasonably priced for, I like having 6+ for every gun I own.

NES?

What do you own that can convert to a .22?

Whats that new Glock .22?

Like those 1911 conversions or the CZ ones.

NES?
Ruger SR-22 which is s great little firearm or a Mark IV. I prefer the 22/45 version, but also like the classic look.

These are just my opinions,.. SR22's are for people with child hands,.. Great for learning double/single action but fast to outgrow. M&P22 in full frame were made by Walther and there are no plans to make them again. Compacts are out there and are available in MA. Sig Mosquitos are unreliable and I'd rather throw rocks for plinking fun. My TX-22 is reliable but feels like shooting a squirt gun. Great price though,.. Whatever you buy make sure it's reliable. My Victory is a good gun but I hate the safety. 22/45's are great, but I do not own one.
SR-22 is better with the thicker grip installed for larger hands. Also get this from TK, which helps:

Screenshot_20200714-163120_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Lady Radtekk has bad wrists, so recoil from her EDC compact 9 gets old fairly quickly, ... So we want a 22 to practice the basics with.
(Not that .22LR is exactly a wildcat cartridge, but...)
does she want to go with more gun mass to reduce recoil,
or less gun mass to reduce how much weight she has to hold at arms' length?

Even confining yourselves to the Ruger Mk IV 22/45 product line (see below),
you get your choice of lengths(/weights)...

I like my 22/45 Mark 4 pistol. Got it mostly due to it having the same grip profile as a 1911
^ This. (And the controls are in the same place, and move in the same direction).
It's an excellent excuse.

And depending on what generation you buy,
you get some commonality of tidbits.

edit -- Tandemkross sells a lot of 'upgrades' for the 22/45 (and more) to make the pistol even better. Like a trigger kit that turns it really, really sweet.
When it comes to aftermarket stuff to waste money on,
the Ruger Mark series is the Honda Civic of handguns.

Back
Top Bottom