• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rebluing parts

SKS Ray

NES Member
I have a receiver cover for a rifle that I bought as replacement for a pitted one. The new cover looks great but has very worn bluing that doesn't match the rest of the rifle. I tried rebluing it with Black Magic cold blue but it just doesn't look right. I followed the info on the bottle but all I got was a dark grey with uneven color.
Anyone have any methods for rebluing small parts and getting a dark finish?
I don't want deep gloss blued finish, just something to darken the receiver cover.

I bought that kit from the guy that used to be at every Marlboro show. The stuff worked great, and I ended up with a really deep blue/black finish on the first try...

I've read good reviews for this product... Blue Wonder. Unfortunately, it's pretty damn expensive.

I've gotten pretty good results using Birchwood Casey Perma-Blue.

Following the instructions on the bottle...

Throughly clean and degrease the part (I used denatured alcohol).

Brighten area with steel wool (I used 0000).

Clean, degrease and rinse again.

Saturate clean cloth with bluing and apply to area.

Let stand 1 minute then rinse/wipe down with cold water.

Lightly buff with 0000 steel wool.

Repeat applying bluing, cold water rinse and buff with steel wool until satisfied with finish.

Wipe down with a light oil or lubricant (I used Tetra Gun).

The final result is going to depend on the amount of surface area to be covered (larger/more surface area is more difficult to blend in and might result in splotchy areas showing), and the condition of the metal (how much of the original bluing is present).

I think I'll try the Blue Wonder. They have a small kit that is under $40 and I too have heard good things about their product.
I just have to decide between the black or the blue since this will be for milsurp touch ups or replacment parts.

Back
Top Bottom