~ Reamed Once Fired Cases . . .

REAMED357M-111.jpg

I was going to order some casings through a friend but when I read that they “REAMED THE PRIMER POCKETS” I was a bit hesitant. I thought that if they did that the chances were greater that the primers could fall out or be loose. I went for it anyhow knowing that the company knew more than I did about it.

All I had to do was investigate it a tad more on this forum or elsewhere on the Net and I would have no hesitancy to put the order in. All they do, I believe, is cut a cone shaped entry point to help make the primers seat a tad easier. Is there any good reason for me not to get the old deburring/chamfering tool out and touch up all my casing primer pockets for the same reason? I would take just a slight amount off of course just like is shown in the picture.​

Those look fine, and if your other cases have a crimp you'll need to do the same with them. If they are not crimped, I'd see how they prime first before taking the tool to them.

Primer pocket reamers also uniform the depth as well as ream out any crimp that might have been in the casing. I don't know which tool was used on the cases you bought.

If they are in spec they should load fine.

Honestly, I would be more hesitant just by the fact that its Federal brass as the brand is notorious for loose primer pockets(in rifle brass at least). I won't reload Federal rifle brass. YMMV.

Exactly, if they are notorious for already being loose, then why on earth ream them? Doesn't make sense. Have them send you a few samples at least, so you can try them.

Honestly, I would be more hesitant just by the fact that its Federal brass as the brand is notorious for loose primer pockets(in rifle brass at least). I won't reload Federal rifle brass. YMMV.

REAMED357M-111.jpg

I was going to order some casings through a friend but when I read that they “REAMED THE PRIMER POCKETS” I was a bit hesitant. I thought that if they did that the chances were greater that the primers could fall out or be loose. I went for it anyhow knowing that the company knew more than I did about it.

All I had to do was investigate it a tad more on this forum or elsewhere on the Net and I would have no hesitancy to put the order in. All they do, I believe, is cut a cone shaped entry point to help make the primers seat a tad easier. Is there any good reason for me not to get the old deburring/chamfering tool out and touch up all my casing primer pockets for the same reason? I would take just a slight amount off of course just like is shown in the picture.​

I have to swage my .32H&R cases, new Starline and once fired Federal. The pockets
are near vertical walls with a knife edge 90 deg at the edge of the pocket. Dillon Precision
customer support told me that Federal .32H&R shouldn't be loaded on their 550 because
one of their people had such a hard time loading it. When I swaged them they were
almost just right. I still had a couple of cases that would be a bit hesitant. Swaging
rounds the outer edge of the primer pocket and doesn't enlarge the pocket. Unless
they reamed the entire pocket excessively, and not just the outer lip you should not have
a problem. If they reamed the entire pocket I would ask for more details on exactly
what they did before I would buy.

As for your other brass, why would you create more work for yourself if they work fine?

Last edited:
Thanks for your info and suggestions folks. I have had little or no trouble seating primers in the 38 & 357's before so I guess you're correct, why do an extra step if not needed.​

Back
Top Bottom