Real World M&P Opinions Please??

First I have to say what a wonderful forum this is. I can't believe it took me this long to find it!!

I'm looking for "real world" opinions on the M&P pistol. I handled one for the first time yesterday, (it was a .40). I have been trying to both streamline and bolster my firearms collection and am thinking hard about the M&P. I will possibly be giving up my old model G22 and those precious 15-round mags to fund this purchase, or may just lay away. I also may be shopping for a 45ACP when they are available. I currently carry a Para Carry 6.45, (even though it came with 7-round mags). I won't be giving this gun up as I love it so... [grin]

My Glock truthfully has been sitting collecting dust - I rarely use it anymore, so giving it up may not be so painful, but before I invest the hard-earned dough, I was wondering about the thoughts of current M&P owners. The gun seems to get good reviews, but I trust my fellow shooters more than a gun mag. Can I get some pros, cons and advice please?

Thanks,

Mark

Great ergonomics and trigger (with correct trigger). Better stock sights then the Glock. Only problem is it's not .45.

Great ergonomics and trigger (with correct trigger). Better stock sights then the Glock. Only problem is it's not .45.

Thanks - what do you mean by "correct trigger"? ... I'm leafing through the S&W catalog now - are there options? I'm thinking .45 as well. I love my .40 S&W and the .357 SiG conversion in my Glock. But truthfully, I'm bored with it and never seem to get so with .45ACP.

I've only shot two so far- one at S&W, one I just bought. Both were .40 full size. Like adweisbe said- great ergonomics. The adjustable palm swells are really nice. With the small grips it's the thinnest double stack I own by far. The trigger I used at S&W was very well broken in I'm sure and it was smooth and nice. Mine is a little notchy still... but it's even got better after 50 live rounds and a bunch of dry firing. The reset is a bit strange to me... not very noticable at all. We'll see if I miss the reset a bunch as I don't like to totally release the trigger (I got just past reset and prep trigger from there). There was no real ryme or reason as to why I picked up the .40 as I do like 9mm. It breaks down easy and cleans up nice (some Sigs just seem to get powder residue everywhere). From what I hear the trigger is easy for a smith to "clean up" without replacing spings. Take all this information with an understanding that I'm a new customer. FWIW I love the support from S&W.

Thanks - what do you mean by "correct trigger"? ... I'm leafing through the S&W catalog now - are there options? I'm thinking .45 as well. I love my .40 S&W and the .357 SiG conversion in my Glock. But truthfully, I'm bored with it and never seem to get so with .45ACP.

I think it might be the std 6.5lb trigger as oppopsed to the MA 10lb crapper.

Let me start by welcoming you to the forum.

I am primarily a revolver shooter so my take on triggers is a little different from those that shoot bottom feeders a lot. I have been an active shooter since 1975.

I own 2 M&Ps. The first one I bought was the 40S&W in October of 2006. I had shot one at S&W in a match and really liked it. As I get more used to it, it will be a carry gun for me.

What do I like: It fits my hand giving me a natural point with it. That is something I never had with a Glock. It points more like a 1911 for me. The ease of changing the size of the grip is a plus. That is the part I am finding difficult to get used to. Once I decide which back strap fits me best I will stick with it. So far, the Medium seems to be best with the Large very close behind. I little more range time will make the difference. The trigger pull that is not the MA mandated 10# was very good. If I was a little more patient, it would have been just fine but I had a trigger job done. The gun functions flawlessly as long as it is properly lubricated. (Light grease on key spots) Magazines were well made and fit really good. Drop free and reload quickly.

What I do not Like: Three dot sights are a waste of time for me. I prefer wide cut rear sights with a narrow front sight. Fiber optic or Tritium on the front is a plus for me. I really did not like the long trigger reset and the 6# trigger pull.

So, what did I do? I had a trigger job done to make the pull 4.5# and shorten the reset. I changed the sights to wide cut rear and fiber optic front from Dawson Precision. I had some roughening done to the grip for my hands.

Next I bought the M&P 9MM and set it up as close to the 40 as I could trigger, sights and all.

I actually like the 40 better and shoot it better but the 9 will come along I am sure.

S&W Customer Service is one of the best if not The best in the industry. The reps care about the product and know it inside and out.

Anyone responding to you on this, ask what their experience is with the product. Someone who has tried one out or read about one is a lot different than those of us that actually own one, two, or even more.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

As the lady said, "See the twins?"

MP.jpg

Rear sight

MP003.jpg

Front sight

MP002.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much RGS - your post is why I asked for real world experience. I have to say, I really like the looks of this gun. It feels more natural than my G22, (likely to appear in the Classifieds really soon). I've got big gorilla mitts and the larger backstrap felt really good. I think I'm going to wait for the .45 - I can't find a release date on S&W, but it's listed in their catalog, so hopefully soon....

Thank you so much RGS - your post is why I asked for real world experience. I have to say, I really like the looks of this gun. It feels more natural than my G22, (likely to appear in the Classifieds really soon). I've got big gorilla mitts and the larger backstrap felt really good. I think I'm going to wait for the .45 - I can't find a release date on S&W, but it's listed in their catalog, so hopefully soon....

Don't hold your breath. The release dates keep changing. I have been promised 357SIG since last August and they still are not in production. I don't expect to see the 45ACP for general sale until end of summer. I hope I am wrong but they are concentrating on 40 & 9MM in full size and compact for LE contracts right now.

As for MA 45ACP, Maybe in a year or so.

Regards,

I had a lucky chance to have fired a mp 9 at my club last week. One nice gentleman had one and let me try it out, it was the real world trigger NOT the MA. one. I'm not the greatest shot in the world but this gun was great in feel and performance. The trigger was great and sights are good and I hit the target close where I aimed at. But later that week I handle one in a local gun shop, the one WITH the MA. trigger and it is alot heavier pull.My opinion don't give up your Glocks yet. The trigger is better than the sigma but the sigma are alot cheaper$$. Maybe a G17 or a G22 refurb are still the way to go. Just my 2cents but I'll end up getting one anyway.

Wrt the trigger- I'm no expert but it looks like the triggers can all be "cleaned" up a bunch with some polishing, etc. Mine has even got better after only a couple hundred rounds and lots of dry firing. The FP safety needs to have a smoother edge.. no idea why it not better from the factory.

Regardless- the triggers of striker based guns and typical hammer/sear type are worlds apart IMO. Striker based firearms never seem as crisp.

EDIT: I'd love to really know what the difference is with the MA triggers. I suspect a different angle on the sear where it engages the striker.

are the MA compliant 9mm out yet? i need a good gun i can abuse in a caliber thats cheap to shoot

The 9mm's are out, but all I've seen here in the sticks is .40 S&W. I have been considering the .40, but really want a .45 .... decisions, decisions. I have a $600.00 store credit at a local store.... should I wait for .45 or jump on .40?.....I could have one in my lap tomorrow if I go for a .40......But the .45ACP is my favorite.....God I hate decisions.....[thinking]

I hate you.... If my wife finds out, I'm throwing you under the bus... [smile]

OK- just don't tell my wife! This is one case where only one person has access to the safe. [wink] Seriously- my wife can't even tell the difference between a Glock and a Sig and I only have one Sig. [wink]

OK- just don't tell my wife! This is one case where only one person has access to the safe. [wink] Seriously- my wife can't even tell the difference between a Glock and a Sig and I only have one Sig. [wink]

ROFL... [smile] I love my wife - completely. I'm also completely honest with her - except for one thing: She has no earthly idea what any of my toys cost and I am not free with telling her. My IMI Model B Uzi? Even swap for my Marlin .450 Lever Action. My SOCOM-16? Traded for it with my neutered post ban Colt AR-15 and got cash back for Crimson Trace LaserGrips on top of it. I think she may be in denial, but it works for me.... [wink]

Rented the M&P Compact 9mm at the S&W range yesterday. Comments based on only firing 50 fmj rds through what was a pretty dirty gun. Found it to be accurate at 25' and 50'. Prob not a Mass compliant trigger - did not feel like 10lbs. Inserting the mag caused the slide to release on its own 3 out of 5 times :-( Still prefer a thinner single stack like the 39xx series in a compact handgun.

Rented the M&P Compact 9mm at the S&W range yesterday. Comments based on only firing 50 fmj rds through what was a pretty dirty gun. Found it to be accurate at 25' and 50'. Prob not a Mass compliant trigger - did not feel like 10lbs. Inserting the mag caused the slide to release on its own 3 out of 5 times :-( Still prefer a thinner single stack like the 39xx series in a compact handgun.

I've rented the compact 9 from S&W on 3 occasions thus far and agree with your comments. I enjoy shooting it, and accurate even for a beginner like me... the Slide released twice after inserting the magazine, I also asked about the trigger and the R.O. told me the the mass compliant model would "feel better..." I was in a rush so i did not ask for elaboration...

Back
Top Bottom