• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ranges that allow for group private use/rental?

I'm trying to find a place that would allow for 15-20 people to show up and have private access to the range. Outdoor preferable, allowing pistol and rifle shooting from the firing line. Nothing fancy. Are there any clubs that anyone is aware of that allows for outside groups to rent the range for an afternoon? MA, CT, or RI is fine. Winter is fine. Really looking for all options.

Decent outdoor range at Winchendon Rod&Gun weather permitting. I have a members meeting in a couple weeks I’ll ask about one time use as opposed to buying membership, if you decided to buy membership afterward we could probably deduct the difference. I don’t see it being a problem reserving the range for a day. I’ll keep you updated. Brennan

Honestly the best thing I can think of is Granite state indoor range in Hudson NH. They allow rifle up to .308
Thanks for the tip.
Decent outdoor range at Winchendon Rod&Gun weather permitting. I have a members meeting in a couple weeks I’ll ask about one time use as opposed to buying membership, if you decided to buy membership afterward we could probably deduct the difference. I don’t see it being a problem reserving the range for a day. I’ll keep you updated. Brennan
Much obliged!

The range/club would have to get a heavy ins. policy for that day. Jack.

Not only this but I doubt you will find a club to do it. The 2 clubs I belong to do not. Liability is the reason regardless of how much insurance they have. An accident on the range brings lawsuits, court costs, attorney fees.

Your best bet is an indoor range, you'd just be reserving as many lanes as you want for any time period. Likely a discount for available with such a big group.

Clubs that even allow rental of the range for certain time periods, typically only do it for licensed and insured instructors.

The range/club would have to get a heavy ins. policy for that day. Jack.

I disagree. 15-20 people is a pretty small crowd in the context of shooting events. The 3-gun matches I shoot around New England are around 30-40 shooters and all the ranges pretty much get shut down for the matches to happen. Matches of that size don't warrant special event insurance. Maybe if a club is too small to run any events, then I can see insurance being an issue.

Event insurance becomes an issue where you have closer to 100 shooters. Like if you were holding a regional or national tournament or something. Otherwise the club's regular insurance should cover an event this small of 15-20.

That being said, an event like this would have to go through the gun club's board of directors and they'd have the club's insurance policy on their minds. This is unfortunately something normal members aren't privy to. So the best bet is renting an indoor range for a day or a few hours.

Thanks for the advice so far folks. I'm not super optimistic about finding something, but it was worth asking.

Reserving out the lanes of a public indoor range may be the best available option.

There really is no incentive for a club to allow this. I would probably be a bit peeved if my club was closed to members to allow non-members private access. This does make having one-off group shoots a bit difficult.

I'm trying to find a place that would allow for 15-20 people to show up and have private access to the range. Outdoor preferable, allowing pistol and rifle shooting from the firing line. Nothing fancy. Are there any clubs that anyone is aware of that allows for outside groups to rent the range for an afternoon? MA, CT, or RI is fine. Winter is fine. Really looking for all options.
depends on what the group is but Harvard Sportsmens Club used to rent out ranges for certain things.

Thanks for the advice so far folks. I'm not super optimistic about finding something, but it was worth asking.

Reserving out the lanes of a public indoor range may be the best available option.

There really is no incentive for a club to allow this. I would probably be a bit peeved if my club was closed to members to allow non-members private access. This does make having one-off group shoots a bit difficult.
Try hanson they seem to love booking weeks on end and shutting out members.

Not only this but I doubt you will find a club to do it. The 2 clubs I belong to do not. Liability is the reason regardless of how much insurance they have. An accident on the range brings lawsuits, court costs, attorney fees.
Your best bet is an indoor range, you'd just be reserving as many lanes as you want for any time period. Likely a discount for available with such a big group.

Clubs that even allow rental of the range for certain time periods, typically only do it for licensed and insured instructors.
My club only allows the local police access for one week a year to train. (and members get peeved that they cant use the range that week)

My club only allows the local police access for one week a year to train. (and members get peeved that they cant use the range that week)
Make sure and hold them to one week only or you will end up with 6,8,10 weeks a year with the range closed to member

Back
Top Bottom