Sinitron

NES Life Member
NES Member
Conditions: 52°F / 53% humidity
Wind: <5mph
Distance: 50-yards for initial sight-in on a rest
Equipment: S&W 460PC 10.5"
Ammunition: 45LC 230gr SJHP, Hornady FTX 200gr

Ever wish to have SOCOM 458 performance, but in handgun form factor? The S&W 460mag is a contender.
(Hornady FTX 200GR: Muzzle 2300fps/2150ft.lbs, 100yrds 1750fps/1305ft.lbs)

• Initial shots and sight-in were conducted with 45LC on a RI-state pistol qualifying target set at 50 yards.
  • Standard "iron" sights used, adjustable target rear with a high-viz front.
  • Pistol shot high and right at 50 yards. Two shots 4" apart, at 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock position, in the 6-ring.
  • Adjusted rear sight, 2 follow up shots 1" apart in the 9 ring above dead center.
  • Switched to Hornady 200gr FTX loads. First shot landed 8-ring.
  • Will continue fine adjustment and extended out to 100-yards for further testing on 200gr loads

*Some muzzle flash may occur
6932839910_ca2d195192_b.jpg

Holy Chit, That will take the hair off of your arm [grin]

That's one heck of a blast from the cylinder, I figured there would be a big blast from the end of the barrel but not that much from the cylinder, woooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww [shocked]

Looks like shooting a real cannon. Did you take the plunge @ S&W sporting center? I was hoping to get one. But holding back since I still recoupe from previous purchase. [grin]

Congrats on your new 460 PC.

Sent from iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Holy Chit, That will take the hair off of your arm [grin]

That's one heck of a blast from the cylinder, I figured there would be a big blast from the end of the barrel but not that much from the cylinder, woooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww [shocked]

There is enough blast from the cylinder to cause major injury. Warning, the picture in this link is VERY graphic: http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2008/02/460-xvr-accident.html

Keep your thumbs and fingers away from the front end of the cylinder on big bore revolvers.

Looks like shooting a real cannon. Did you take the plunge @ S&W sporting center? I was hoping to get one. But holding back since I still recoupe from previous purchase. [grin]

Congrats on your new 460 PC.

Sent from iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Yes I did! [smile] They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Sometimes the larger rounds produced large cylinder gap / muzzle flash, and sometimes they don't. If they do not, the concussion wave is still there, but it doesn't ignite. As 1911 mentioned, extra precautions were taken with respect to the 460. PACT gloves, double-hearing protection, and the continuing desire to be able to write with a pencil and type on a keyboard.

Last edited:
Nice! Make sure you save your brass, you -will- want to reload it down the road. (and you'll save a crap ton of money doing it, too. )

-Mike

Nice! Make sure you save your brass, you -will- want to reload it down the road. (and you'll save a crap ton of money doing it, too. )

-Mike

For sure, I've got it all saved. Until I buy equipment, I'll need to find someone to reload this beast for me. I'll buy the dies, anyone want to setup for 460? [smile]

Sometimes the larger rounds produced large cylinder gap / muzzle flash, and sometimes they don't. If they do not, the concussion wave is still there, but it doesn't ignite. As 1911 mentioned, extra precautions were taken with respect to the 460. PACT gloves, double-hearing protection, and the continuing desire to be able to write with a pencil and type on a keyboard.

Just don't use this tactical holding grip.

Bad+grip.bmp

Seriously, who hold a revolver like this?

For sure, I've got it all saved. Until I buy equipment, I'll need to find someone to reload this beast for me. I'll buy the dies, anyone want to setup for 460? [smile]

I'm up for the task. Just got myself LnL sameday got back from S&W and ready to setup for the 500. Eventually, I'll get a 460.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom