Range report on CZ-82 and CZ-52

Let me start by saying that I got both of these guns with two mags each for less than it would have cost me to buy one CZ-83 in .380 auto.

The CZ-82 may be my new favorite gun. I took it to the range for the first time today and put 100 rounds of WWB 9x18 Makarov 95 grain FMJ through it. It had no failures. This gun has a SWEET trigger pull even on the first shot which is DA. It reminded me very much of shooting my Beretta M9 in single action and produced 1.5 inch groups at 10yds. The ambidextrous mag release and safety are a nice touch but I wish it had a decocker. For the price I can't believe how great the gun shot. Takedown is very easy on the gun and I was able to clean it up quickly. This is the best deal I ever got on a gun hands down.

The CZ-52 is single action only. It has a nice trigger and is equally if not more accurate than the CZ-82. I put 50 rounds of Russian Surplus 7.62x25mm 85 grain Steel Case FMJ through it today. It had four failures to fire. This was due to the ammo and not the gun as the rounds which did not fire still had a dent in the primer. Still it just didn't feel as good overall as the CZ-82 because of constantly expecting an ammo failure. I am going to try to get some better ammo for this gun and take it out again. The mags I got with this gun look like pure crap but I had no failures to feed or eject using them only failures to fire. Takedown is a little more involved on this one but still fairly easy.

Anyway they were both fun to shoot and can't be beat for the money.

Nice! I definitely agree with you on the 82. The one I have is a very sweet shooter and I like it a lot.

The 52 on the other hand is my most unused handgun in my collection. The trigger is TERRIBLE. It has the worst trigger slap that makes the gun uncomfortable to shoot after one or two mags. Most of the 52s are that way. You must have one of the few lucky ones that doesn't have that problem.

update

I shot the CZ-52 again today. Two Boxes of Winchester White Box 7.62x25mm 85gr FMJ. It shot very accurately without a single malfunction in the 100 rounds I put through it. It seems like the earlier problems I had were because of the lousy ammo. Luckily I didn't feel any trigger slap. Maybe I just got one with a good trigger?

I shot the CZ-52 again today. Two Boxes of Winchester White Box 7.62x25mm 85gr FMJ. It shot very accurately without a single malfunction in the 100 rounds I put through it. It seems like the earlier problems I had were because of the lousy ammo. Luckily I didn't feel any trigger slap. Maybe I just got one with a good trigger?

Most of the military surplus 7.62X25 ammo was meant for subgun use and has hard primer cups. I've found that they will fire with a second strike in a CZ-52.

yeah I had the same experience but still felt like it was dangerous to keep trying second strikes on ammo who's age and origin I did not know.
The Winchester stuff is expensive but I'd rather pay extra than have a misfire.

I use Bulgarian and Romanian surplus and it's all run fine in the CZ52. With the Tokarev, that Bulgarian stuff will never touch it. Only Prvi for that one because of the weaker design.

I find the CZ82 to be well made but extremely painful to shoot. It tears into the webbing of my thumb and is really unpleasant to use.

I just went to the range yesterday with my CZ 52. I've only had it about a year. The day I bought it I put 100 rounds of Prvi through it with no problems. Yesterday I had gotten about 30 rounds of milsurp corrosive through it when the firing pin broke! As with all of my guns, I do research on them before I buy them and was fully aware that the original FP would eventually break, dry firing or not. So I'll have to get one of the new heat treated ones. I also did not feel any "trigger slap" whatsoever in this gun. So I guess I got one of the lucky ones too!
And yes, I did dowse the gun with windex and wipe it down after firing. Although I wonder if I went a little overkill by completely detail stripping it and brushing everything down with CLP before drying, relubing and assembling? I've got a new recoil spring (original is weak) on the way from Wolff, and I'm thinking of getting a set of the solid steel rollers when I get the firing pin.

I just wish I'd have gotten an armorers kit when they were dirt cheap back when these guns first hit the market. Even though I'd probably choose a new firing pin too if mine broke, it'd be cool to have the original kit for collecting.[grin]

Now I think the 52 is a good shooter but the 82 beats the hell out of you

Exactly how I see it, Patron. The 52 has a much more powerful round, especially if you get the Bulgarian special, but it's way more pleasant than the 82. I might have to put a foam pad on the backstrap of the 82 to make it bearable.

that's what amazes me. the 52 handles so nicely for such a "zippy" load.
I know the weight of it is a big factor, but it's much more pleasent to shoot than most .380's I've ever fired. For it's reliability (well, once the FP is upgraded) with newpro ammo, I would consider it for a carry gun if it weren't for the potential to overpenetrate. But that's an understatement. If you had to fire on an attacker, you'd hit him, and most likely perforate whatever's behind him.
Serious round.

I've found the 52 fun to shoot, but like 45collector, I'd be worried about it as a carry gun. On the other hand, the plume of flame that accompanies each shot is just plain fun, especially around dusk.

PATRON and Vellenueve,
Are you shooting the 82 with surplus ammo or new factory stuff? I have only shot WWB out of it and haven't had a problem with recoil yet? Although I've only put about 3-4 mags through it per range trip. (this may also be due to the fact that I have little to no feeling left in my hands due to my profession)

Back
Top Bottom