Random observation - movie vs real life

i belong to a couple of geeky pen sites. they too scour movie scenes frame by frame and take great delight in pointing out the inaccuracies of the pen in movies. or cinema as they like to call it. quite amusing really cause you just know not a soul in the world noticed or cared about what just got them all riled up.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and just watch the movie.

Yea, but I have a problem with stupid stuff in a movie/show. I tend to keep a 360 awareness in real life and when I can determine that the immediate personages are NOT a threat, my eyes move to the perimeter.

Medieval historical setting and a major fight scene going on with a cast of, "thousands". Two guys up on the battlements on the wall way to the real of the shot are just swinging their swords left and right like 2 kids faking a fight and as I looked closely, spotted one of them look at his wristwatch for the time.

15 rounds out of a 1911 colt... these people can do better than that. 9 rounds out of a Colt or S&W 38/357 is just as dumb as the western gun fights.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and just watch the movie. Enjoy it, don't question it. Just go with it. Life is better that way.

I can do this sometimes, but not others. I haven't figured out yet why I can't let it go sometimes.

I can do this sometimes, but not others. I haven't figured out yet why I can't let it go sometimes.
Probably because the rest of the film hasn't been engaging you. Often times, it's because the world fails to remain true to the rules it sets for itself.

The special sauce is different for each of us, but successful art trades on the [willing] suspension of disbelief. If you're not sufficiently on board with the rest of the environment, then those little things break what investment you might have had.

Watching The three musketeers with Mrs. two nights ago. Every time a rapier is drawn from the period correct leather holster / scabbards the sound of metal on metal is the loudest sound in movie, even above thundering horses hooves and cannon fire. You would think they had late 1800 Calvary sabers with steel scabbards.

Mine is how people react or the injuries they get when shot in a movie

Shot in the center of thigh but never damager to the femur or damage to the femoral artery - just wrap it up and hop to safety

Getting shot in the shoulder is usually portrayed as a minor flesh wound that is shaken off - rather than the reality of having a non functioning arm and potential damage to the 3-4 major arteries located there

For the most part, it doesn't apply any longer since everything's digital, but...

One thing on (older) films I've always noticed (and it's not a continuity flaw or bad foley): cue marks. You really never notice them until someone points them out, then forevermore afterwards you see them. Every twenty minutes, twice. Upper right corner. "Start motor" and "changeover." In my case it's due to having been a Commonwealth of Massachusetts Licensed Projectionist in college, showing movies in twenty-minute reels on WWII-era carbon arc projectors, courtesy a certain student organization.

Probably because the rest of the film hasn't been engaging you. Often times, it's because the world fails to remain true to the rules it sets for itself.

The special sauce is different for each of us, but successful art trades on the [willing] suspension of disbelief. If you're not sufficiently on board with the rest of the environment, then those little things break what investment you might have had.

Years ago, MsHappy and I saw Ransom (Mel Gibson), and one of the Star Trek movies as a double feature/back-to-back. Afterwards, she said, "The second one (Trek) was more believable."

"Honey, that had spacemen in it...."

"I stand by my assessment!" [laugh]

Watching money heist on Netflix

One (quick) scene there was a M16 with the detachable carry handle on backwards... You’d hope the prop master would catch it.

I’d be pissed if I was the director.

Too often it's not the foley's fault, but the director's. (Heat being the obvious exception.) In a way, it's unintentional Impressionism. The director has an image in his head of what feel he's hoping to create as a storyteller, and neither he nor his audience actually understand the real experience. Sometimes we're lucky enough to have someone on set who knows better.

Not a movie, but Bosch on amazon prime. He and his partner were visiting a gun dealer (We’ll leave aside the question of whether there are any home ffls left in CA ...) and in the background, attached to the side of one of the safes was a real ATF license.

R

For the most part, it doesn't apply any longer since everything's digital, but...

One thing on (older) films I've always noticed (and it's not a continuity flaw or bad foley): cue marks. You really never notice them until someone points them out, then forevermore afterwards you see them. Every twenty minutes, twice. Upper right corner. "Start motor" and "changeover." In my case it's due to having been a Commonwealth of Massachusetts Licensed Projectionist in college, showing movies in twenty-minute reels on WWII-era carbon arc projectors, courtesy a certain student organization.
I worked in the snack bar of a drive in movie theater in 1970, I was young, and the projectionist showed me the cue marks.

I like to watch for them in the old movies.

What gets me is the "view through the scope" scenes. That shitty duplex reticle lives in a magic scope that always shoots point of aim. Has to be in a world where there's no wind, no gravity, and where you don't need to lead a mover.

Back
Top Bottom