• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

R.I. COP KILLS FIREFIGHTER . . .

R.I. cop shoots, kills firefighter

CRANSTON, R.I. — A firefighter is dead and a former police officer has been arrested in a shooting in Rhode Island, apparently stemming from a neighborhood dispute.

Cranston Fire Chief James Gumbley said Lt. James Pagano was killed Sunday. He was a well-liked and well-respected firefighter since 1991.

Former Providence police Officer Nicholas Gianquitti was arrested and ordered held without bail Monday on a murder charge. The Cranston police chief, Stephen McGrath, said the shooting occurred at Gianquitti's home on a quiet, dead-end street with children present.

Details of the dispute were not immediately clear.

Gianquitti was on the force in Providence in 1992 and 1993 before he injured his knee and went on disability.

The suspect sounds like a real winner. The ProJo reports him as having fairly constant run ins with his neighbors kids about their balls hitting his cars.
He was a Providence cop for six months, went out on disability, and was receiving 3500 a month in disability pension.
People suck, I feel for the victims family........

Some more info.

Providence Journal Article

CRANSTON — When Nicholas Gianquitti moved onto Daisy Court in 2005, he entered a model of quiet suburbia, where all the split-levels came with backyard fences and neat yards and where children played in the cul-de-sac.

One problem: Gianquitti seemed at odds with the neighborhood children.

Their balls were always bouncing across his lush lawn or hitting his polished car.

Gianquitti complained as much last year to a friend from his old neighborhood, Oakwind Terrace.

The kids’ balls “were always banging his cars,” recalled Ron Silvestri of his conversation with Gianquitti. “They were brand new cars and he didn’t like his cars being ruined.”

Gianquitti, a slight man who drew a disability pension for the few months in the early 1990s when he served as a Providence police officer, complained to his neighbors on Daisy Court as well. And parents there and on the adjacent cul-de-sac, Lily Drive, warned their children to keep clear of the man with the tuft of orange hair sprouting from his chin.

On Sunday, Gianquitti’s next door neighbors, James and Adriana Pagano hosted a birthday party for their young son. Some kids were playing in the street and, neighbors say, Gianquitti, who is 40, came out yelling and swearing at them when a ball struck his car.

Pagano, 44, a Cranston firefighter for 15 years who had been officially promoted to lieutenant just last week, rushed over to confront Gianquitti.

The confrontation led to punches and then, with children and others watching, the scene turned surreal.

Witnesses reported hearing several shots and seeing Pagano, lying in the street, mortally wounded. Many of his neighbors and relatives began calling 911. The time was around 3:15 p.m.

Yesterday, while a District Court judge ordered Gianquitti held without bail on a charge of murder, police investigators probed the dirt and leaves blown against the sidewalk outside Gianquitti’s home at 16 Daisy Court, searching for evidence and trying to piece together a neighborhood killing.

Law enforcement officials say Gianquitti, who like Pagano attended Cranston High School West, had been licensed to carry a concealed weapon since 1993 when he left the Providence police force after six months after suffering a knee injury.

Police confiscated several rifles and pistols from his home following the shooting. Cranston Police Chief Col. Stephen C. McGrath said investigators were still trying to ferret out yesterday whether Gianquitti had the .38-caliber handgun he allegedly used to shoot Pagano with him when the altercation began or whether he went into his house to fetch the weapon.

McGrath said some of the gunshots may have been fired from inside Gianquitti’s house and others from outside.

Pagano grew up in the Garden City section of Cranston and graduated from Providence College in 1989. After college, he served as an aide in former Cranston Mayor Michael A. Traficante’s office before joining the Fire Department in February 1991. He was promoted to lieutenant in January, taking part in a department-wide promotions ceremony just last week. Married to Adriana Pagano, a part-time hairdresser, he had a daughter and a son. He was an avid golfer and a big Red Sox fan, known for cooking veal and mushrooms at the fire station and laughing easily.

Sunday afternoon at Fire Station Three, where Pagano had worked for some 15 years before a recent promotion and transfer, Lt. Mike Procopio and Firefighter Ray Giguere heard the call of a man shot on Daisy Court and sped to the scene.

They did not know, yet, it was their friend. But they were concerned.

“We knew it was his street,” Procopio said, in an interview at the station yesterday.

Gianquitti, married with a teenage daughter, had retreated to inside his house by the time the police arrived. And with reports of an armed man inside, officers initially cordoned off the street, with even the paramedics restricted to the perimeter.

A family friend, Stanley Glick, said Pagano’s parents, Anthony and Rosealba, ran to their son’s side after the shooting. And McGrath said three police officers pulled Pagano behind a car so the paramedics could approach safely and take him to Rhode Island Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Police took Gianquitti from the scene without incident, the chief said, along with his wife and his daughter.

McGrath said the department has 15 officers from the detective division working on the case, including three from the Bureau of Criminal Investigation, which is examining forensic evidence from the crime scene.

Part of the challenge, said McGrath, is the volume of witnesses –– dozens of them, many with varying accounts.

“We need to sift through all that,” he said.

There could be more to come. Detectives were making a second sweep through the neighborhood yesterday afternoon to find any witnesses they may not have been interviewed Sunday. And there is at least one member of Pagano’s family, reeling from the shooting, who has not yet been able to speak with the police.

Hospital staff reported one gunshot wound, but an autopsy scheduled for yesterday afternoon, could reveal more, McGrath said.

Determining the trajectory of the gunshot or gunshots that struck Pagano will help investigators determine where he was shot –– on a sloping lawn, for instance, or down a steep set of stairs.

Yesterday morning, yellow police tape stretched across the entrance to Daisy Court, partially blocking the view of the crime scene for the steady stream of curiosity seekers driving by.

Matt Gebhart, 19, lives at the corner of Daisy Court and Rutland Street, where his family’s backyard abuts the Pagano’s property.

Gebhart described Pagano as a “great guy, really family-oriented” who often hosted pool parties in his backyard during the summer months.

Gianquitti, on the other hand “was weird,” said Gebhart. “My parents told my younger brother to keep away from him.”

Gebhart remembered one incident in which a child’s ball went onto Gianquitti’s property and he refused to give it back.

A parent had to march up to Gianquitti’s house and demand the ball back. “Stupid stuff like that,” said Gebhart.

In May 2006, Gianquitti filed a formal complaint with the Cranston police of kids in the neighborhood playing with hardballs.

He wanted to get it on record, the chief said, in case there was damage to his property at some point.

Condolences to the Firefighters family. Now the police officer is off disability, but back on tax payers money.

A question for you Police Officers.

Do you hate it when a story mentions a "former Policeman" who served 18 years ago? Does it bother you as much as it bothers me when after 40 years I still see stories that begin, "Vietnam Veteran charged in shooting."

Shouldn't people be glad that a guy like this was a FORMER cop? Why do they have to mention it?

A question for you Police Officers.

Makes for better press. This incident, tagic as if was is with a firefighter and a private citizen.

I tend to doubt the $3500 per month pension though. The salaries in the early 90's weren't that high.

Makes for better press. This incident, tagic as if was is with a firefighter and a private citizen.

I tend to doubt the $3500 per month pension though. The salaries in the early 90's weren't that high.

Unless "knee injury" is code for something else. [smile]

I'm getting the impression that many think the cop is guilty. Sorry but I'm just not seeing that. What do we know? We know there was a verbal confrontation. We know that at some point it became physical. We know that at some later point, it became fatal. How it progressed through these stages is NOT currently known. Heck, they can't even say when /where the shots were fired. Was it from the house or the lawn? I'm sorry but if a dozen witnesses saw somebody get shot, how can they be so uncertain about whether the guy went back into his home or not.

Either way, they seem pretty clear that it happened on the cops property. So I'm defaulting to the cops side until I hear more.

Way too much is left out concerning what happened between the meeting in the street and the shot being fired. At this point all that will happen is endless senarios based on zero facts.

Way too much is left out concerning what happened between the meeting in the street and the shot being fired. At this point all that will happen is endless senarios based on zero facts.

Two lives wasted, regardless.

A most unfortunate incident, all around.

Update ~ Cop, Firefighter Shooting . . .

I know there's a thread for this but I couldn't find it after a few searches.
div255.gif

8416056_BG1.jpg

Nicholas Gianquitti

8416056_BG2.jpg

James Pagano

8416056_BG3.jpg

Nicholas Gianquitti breaks down in court as the 911 call made by his wife were played in court on Tuesday.​

Bail hearing for ex-cop accused in killing to continue

Updated: June 4, 2008
http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8416056

WARWICK, R.I. (AP) - A former Providence police officer admitted in a 911 call that he shot his neighbor but says he did it because he was afraid for his life.

A recording of the May 18 call was played in court Tuesday in the second day of Nicholas Gianquitti's bail hearing.

Gianquitti is accused of killing James Pagano, a Cranston firefighter, during an argument.

The hearing will resume Wednesday afternoon in Kent County District Court. A judge is deciding whether Gianquitti should be held without bail.

According to testimony, Gianquitti swore at a group of children during a birthday party after a tennis ball struck his car. Pagano's relatives say Pagano went to confront Gianquitti at his home and punched him, but that Gianquitti pulled out a gun and shot him during the ensuing fight.

Sad

Just makes me wonder, where the hell is our society going? A Fireman and a Police Officer, normally two respectable members in every community. I just don't get it.

Just makes me wonder, where the hell is our society going? A Fireman and a Police Officer, normally two respectable members in every community. I just don't get it.

Those are days gone by. Cops and firefighters aren't the cream of the crop anymore. I know people who couldn't get in the military for reasons other than medical and joined the PD or FD. 120 firefighters called in sick on Memorial Day.

I have a handful of cousins that are SP and local cops. They complain about it all the time.

Those are days gone by. Cops and firefighters aren't the cream of the crop anymore. I know people who couldn't get in the military for reasons other than medical and joined the PD or FD. 120 firefighters called in sick on Memorial Day.

I have a handful of cousins that are SP and local cops. They complain about it all the time.

At their root, people are still people...no matter what the occupation. Yes, we expect more of certain folks, but that doesn't change what I said. No matter the job, there will be good, great, bad and very bad within it. It is life and it is human nature. Not making excuses for anything...just recognizing life and people.

At their root, people are still people...no matter what the occupation. Yes, we expect more of certain folks, but that doesn't change what I said. No matter the job, there will be good, great, bad and very bad within it. It is life and it is human nature. Not making excuses for anything...just recognizing life and people.

Unfortunately too few realize this

UPDATE !

Ex-RI cop gets life sentence in neighbor's killing
June 25, 2009

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --A former Rhode Island police officer has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally shooting his firefighter neighbor during a neighborhood dispute last year.

Nicholas Gianquitti (jee-ahn-KWIT'-ee) was convicted in April of second-degree murder in the May 2008 killing of Cranston firefighter James Pagano.

The two neighbors fought after children at Pagano's house accidentally hit a tennis ball into Gianquitti's car. Gianquitti cursed at the children when they retrieved it.

Pagano confronted the former Providence police officer at his house and punched him in the face. Gianquitti then shot Pagano, who later died in the hospital.

Gianquitti has said he fired in self-defense, fearing for his life after Pagano hit him.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...ts_life_sentence_in_neighbors_killing?mode=PF

Sorry.....but a physical altercation doesn't pass the test in my book for the Judicious Use of Deadly Force. If another weapon had been involved, maybe.

It's sad, because both individuals had the option of walking away. It wasn't like they were in the mddle of an armed robbery. Now 2 families are ruined, but if one family has to live the rest of their lives without their father, then the one who took that life shouldn't be free to live his. Remember, CCW is for a means of last resort.

If you have guns either in your house or in a holster. You have to avoid confrontations. Period. You just can't take the chance that something stupid like this will escalate.

"Gianquitti has said he fired in self-defense, fearing for his life after Pagano hit him."

that is my favorite part of the story...i guess people will try to say anything to try to play the self-defense card.

"Gianquitti has said he fired in self-defense, fearing for his life after Pagano hit him."

that is my favorite part of the story...i guess people will try to say anything to try to play the self-defense card.

Well, it was the only defense he could use. He couldn't use the SODDI defense -- Some Other Dude Did It -- or the TODDI defense -- That Other Dude Did It. The only remaining defense is that it was justified.

Sorry.....but a physical altercation doesn't pass the test in my book for the Judicious Use of Deadly Force. If another weapon had been involved, maybe.

It's sad, because both individuals had the option of walking away. It wasn't like they were in the mddle of an armed robbery. Now 2 families are ruined, but if one family has to live the rest of their lives without their father, then the one who took that life shouldn't be free to live his. Remember, CCW is for a means of last resort.

I'm not defending the former trainee/rookie, but if he was getting beat down, the use of deadly force IS very justified. I can cite multiple cases where people have died from punches or kicks. If he had the weapon on him while the altercation was going on, he had to consider the availability of the weapon to the attacker if he was incapacitated. Remember when the UFC was outlawed after a guy died in Russia. New rules were implemented to bring it back.

I agree, they both should have walked away.

This guy was probably not even off probation with 6 months in. Most training schedules are 3-6 months, hell he might not have ever set foot on the street wearing the uniform. Calling an academy washout an ex-police is a disgrace to law enforcement everywhere.

no it's not. dirtbag should've been taking a dirt nap a long time ago.

Well it's not a first degree murder charge. A man is still dead, but I doubt this was a planned execution. He's not the kind of guy I would necessarily want walking the streets, but did he have any kind of prior record?

Well, it was the only defense he could use. He couldn't use the SODDI defense -- Some Other Dude Did It -- or the TODDI defense -- That Other Dude Did It. The only remaining defense is that it was justified.

what about the IWNMIWTOAM defense? (It Was Not Me It Was The One Armed Man)

Well it's not a first degree murder charge. A man is still dead, but I doubt this was a planned execution. He's not the kind of guy I would necessarily want walking the streets, but did he have any kind of prior record?

He was convicted of 2nd degree murder.
Also convicted of a gun charge, can't find it specifically.

Back
Top Bottom