• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quickload vs Gordon's Reloading Tool

vicorjh

NES Member
I've been using Quickload over the past several of years during load research and development. Great tool although there is always a bit a tweaking to powder Ba to dial things in but it's usually within a reasonable error. Say ~+/-100fps or so. And, the interface goes back to the 80's.

Recently I swung back around and found that the Gordon's Reloading Tool to have similar features, a better interface, plus a bunch of additional niceties including things such as auto-tuning for OBT. That's cool. And, it's 'free'ware.

So, I'm playing around by working up some new loads from scratch to compare the tools. Between the two, I find the estimations for this load to be 'ok' vs 'pushing luck' between the two.

Quickload:
1595299658880.png 1595299688548.png 1595299721238.png
1595299760522.png

Gordon's Reloading Tool:
1595299977310.png 1595300060958.png 1595300086432.png 1595300120543.png
1595300179854.png

Fro whatever reason, the GRT show a compressed load producing significantly higher pressures to the maybe not a good idea range and what appears to be slower overall powder burn rates. Or, maybe faster but it doesn't completely burn until later down the barrel? Can't tell at the moment. For the RL-16 powder, GRT claims a farily high level of confidence. It could be that I fat fingered a number in there but I don't know where.

Does anyone have real-world experience between the two tools as to how accurate the powder burn rates / pressures end-up? The muzzle velocities don't seem too far off but the pressure and barrel time....

Attachments

• 1595300017790.png
    1595300017790.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Wish i could help, I have found QL to be darn close especially when you enter as much data as possible. So far i use it mostly to see pressure and velocity for cast loads and it has been pretty spot on. Im still learning QL and either Im missing something or its not a function..... Wish it would list other powders in the same pressure/velocity vs looking up each one.....still leaning

FWIW, I purchased the QL data update and now find that the simulated difference between the two applications to be minimized ... much closer.

The QL data for the powders I was tooling around on have several changed parameters with the update. In this case, Alliant RL-16.

I bought mine about a year ago.
Im still trying to figure out how use most if the data. Right now I use it mainly for cast loads to get A idea of pressure so I can adjust alloy as needed and velocity. I run cast in faster than idea twists so mo need trying to test loads that I know will blow apart.
Thats one thing I dont see on GL is bullet RPM?

Back
Top Bottom