• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions on insurance for guns

Okay, so I called Amica insurance about changes to my policies for guns. I had two questions.

- First, I wanted coverage for about $12k to cover my guns.
- Second, I was interested in liability insurance in the case that, God forbid, I should need protection against someone filling a lawsuit in the event of a lawful shooting.

I was basically told Amica offers no such coverage for EITHER scenario. They will cover only the genic $2,500 for the assets of "that type" if a theft occurs. To me it sounds like they are anti-gun and refuse to cover any gun related claims. So my question is, where do I go now? I will not give my hard earned money to a company that has such policies. Can anyone suggest a good company that will provide coverage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
The limits apply to theft, not fire or other casualty, on most policies. You may find it more cost effective to buy a decent safe than buy specialty coverage for theft.

As to point #2 - you may be covered by homeowners insurance in particular situations. Read you policy carefully - there is often coverage for injury caused as the result of actions taken to protect life or property (but no, it does not mention firearms in that clause).

Already have a nice safe, everything bolted, MA compliant, and an alarm. I am looking for coverage on theft and liability. The insurance company tells me they specifically do not cover firearms or the use of firearms. That is why I think they are anti-gun.

I use Liberty Mutual, and have the 300/500K coverage as well as a 1Mil rider for those unexpected occurences. No mention was made or questions asked about those horrible dangerous self-aware, self-activating "gun-things"....

If you're looking for a somewhat local agent, I had good luck with Eastern Insurance in Newton.
617-969-4800 Ask for Steve Coan and he'll get you going in the right direction. FYI he's also a brother Mason.
They have reasonable coverage.
If you send me a PM I can probably dig up his direct line.

Well, since I know that both Chubb and One Beacon Insurance actually issue standalone firearms policies, they aren't likely to hassle you about owning them. Both available thru Jack Richardson, Eastern Insurance, Marshfield, MA, 781.596.8915, [email protected]

I've always been given the impression (by remarks from someone who worked in Underwriting) that AMICA was totally anti-gun. I have no hard proof other than some remarks by someone in Underwriting however.

Riders on homeowners are NOT cost-effective and have the other downside that a claim filed could lead to cancellation of the homeowners policy as well.

Liability insurance in case of a shooting is not likely available from most companies. NRA offers it, but it's not cheap and may not be available in MA (MA Insurance Comm'r must approve all insurance offers in MA). Here's a link
http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm

If you're looking for a somewhat local agent, I had good luck with Eastern Insurance in Newton.
617-969-4800 Ask for Steve Coan and he'll get you going in the right direction. FYI he's also a brother Mason.
They have reasonable coverage.
If you send me a PM I can probably dig up his direct line.

Thank you, just left him a VM.

Well, since I know that both Chubb and One Beacon Insurance actually issue standalone firearms policies, they aren't likely to hassle you about owning them. Both available thru Jack Richardson, Eastern Insurance, Marshfield, MA, 781.596.8915, [email protected]

I've always been given the impression (by remarks from someone who worked in Underwriting) that AMICA was totally anti-gun. I have no hard proof other than some remarks by someone in Underwriting however.

Riders on homeowners are NOT cost-effective and have the other downside that a claim filed could lead to cancellation of the homeowners policy as well.

Liability insurance in case of a shooting is not likely available from most companies. NRA offers it, but it's not cheap and may not be available in MA (MA Insurance Comm'r must approve all insurance offers in MA). Here's a link
http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm

Yeah, my impression is Amica is totally anti. Too bad for them....I'll be taking my three insurance policies somewhere else.

I have used the NRA insurance program for years and thankfully have never had to make a claim.

Well, I think almost all of us hope to never use it. I just don't want to be sued into oblivion if I, God forbid, have to defend myself and some "oh, my boy was just turning his life around" momma comes along.

Most expensive was the cost of a rider on homeowners, assuming you can find a company that will do this in MA.

NRA was most expensive of stand-alone policies. I had them years ago and dropped them for Collectibles, however they don't cover carry guns or approve of actually taking guns out to shoot more than a couple of times/year. Collectibles was cheaper than NRA.

Chubb thru Eastern Insurance wasn't bad cost-wise, cheaper than all the above. Don't recall rates or if there was a minimum rate.

One Beacon is a new offering from Eastern Insurance and offers a 5% discount (you have to ask) for GOAL, NRA, etc. members. Their minimum however is $125.00 (before discount) for $35K insurance, with a $250 deductible, $0.35/$100 coverage for all risks, world-wide. If you have that much value, this is cheaper than Chubb.

More info on Eastern Insurance (aka Historic Firearms): http://www.historicfirearms.com/

Last edited:
Call Richie Blazo at Mccarthy Insurance in Salem, MA 978-744-6433. My homeowners policy covers the generic amount, which is fine for me...but you can also get riders. Additionally...there are provisions on my homeowners policy that cover certain "damages" and claims in the event I must defend myself - so long as I am acting lawfully.

Well, I think almost all of us hope to never use it. I just don't want to be sued into oblivion if I, God forbid, have to defend myself and some "oh, my boy was just turning his life around" momma comes along.

It's true, and I agree that no one wants to be sued for defending a life. But quite honestly, if no such insurance was available...would the lack of coverage prevent you from lawfully taking action if the situation deemed it necessary? Probably not.

I like to hope that I would not care about anything other than protecting my life or another's in those moments. Hope in the end after the SHTF I was on the side of the law - and if not then at least I did act in such a way I can live with myself and the consequences of my actions. That in itself is a tall order, much less relying on an Insurance Company [rofl] to come to my rescue.

It's true, and I agree that no one wants to be sued for defending a life. But quite honestly, if no such insurance was available...would the lack of coverage prevent you from lawfully taking action if the situation deemed it necessary? Probably not.

I like to hope that I would not care about anything other than protecting my life or another's in those moments. Hope in the end after the SHTF I was on the side of the law - and if not then at least I did act in such a way I can live with myself and the consequences of my actions. That in itself is a tall order, much less relying on an Insurance Company [rofl] to come to my rescue.

I would always defend my life and those of my loved ones....but I though it was prudent to have protection.

I would suggest you let them know why when you cancel the policies. That way, if they start to see a trend, maybe they'll change their position down the road.

Thanks, I already let them know through the CS rep. Additionally, I fired off an email. If they don't want nearly $4k a year....then F...them.

It's the same with Arbella. They only cover $2000 and that's it. I've had them for years and they wouldn't budge on the gun thing. They've been great for my car policy as I've unfortunately had to use them a few times. Each time no problems, which is why I'm hesitant to switch. I used the NRA provided insurance company for two years. I dropped it this year as the rates went up to $285 for $20K coverage.

I'm going to call a couple places on this thread as there seems to be some much better rates to be had here.

so, after reading all these posts, it sounds like one is SOL if wanting a policy to protect yourself from having to use a firearm against someone.....yes? no? maybe?

Last edited:
It's not just about liability....they don't even want to cover the guns themselves.

yeah, the "covering the guns" part I had figured out. SOme of the posts seemed wishy-washy about liability. Are tehre actual exclusions in liability umbrellas stating "the use of firearms in self defense is not covered in a wrongful death or personal injury suit"?

yeah, the "covering the guns" part I had figured out. SOme of the posts seemed wishy-washy about liability. Are tehre actual exclusions in liability umbrellas stating "the use of firearms in self defense is not covered in a wrongful death or personal injury suit"?

Amica specifically said that do not cover any firearms related incidents.

Back
Top Bottom