1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Questions about getting gun license in lowell ma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Griffin, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Mass does, indeed, suck. Thank democrat one-party rule for too long.

It could be worse....he could be in Lowell or another traditionally very red town

2. whacko

whacko

He's in a green town.

I'm going to tell him to contact a fire arms attorney and pony up the money for a consultation before applying. He took the safety course already and is planning on calling for an apt to apply......my advice to him is going to be to put on the brakes and call an attorney for a consult first.

3. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

1. ^ that'll be the best money he ever spent. Keith can help him out.

4. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

Father got a dui in Ma, was told to wait 5 years I believe and he got his LTC.

5. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

giphy.gif

xjma99 likes this.
  6. whacko

whacko

Must have been awhile ago.....dwi in mass is 2 years first offense so pp automatically

7. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Len, this goes far beyond MA law. This guy wants to be armed while openly violating federal drug laws. If the locals can't arrest him for possession/distribution of a federally banned substance, one quick call to the nearest DEA field office will do. Toss in a firearm, even a single-shot .22 rifle or .410 squirrel shotgun and now he is facing enhanced penalties as an armed federal drug felon. Not worth the risk of federal prison. The Lowell licensing officer will be doing him a big favor by showing him the door.

xjma99 likes this.
  8. whatluck

whatluck

I thought title was gatling gun license

AHM likes this.
  9. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

12-14 years ago, had no issue renewing in another town a few years ago.

10. whacko

whacko

That's good to know.

11. whacko

whacko

My brothers dwi has been more of a blessing than a curse. The day he was arrested is his sobriety date. He had been on the wagon for awhile and the day he got pinched he bought a bottle of vodka and borrowed my old town canoe to go fishing. He paddled around fishing and got sloshed.......pulled my canoe up on the mud bank......decided driving home was a bad idea and slept it off in the cab of his truck......engine on heater running.....it was early April. Cop stopped by and saw him sleeping and did a "welfare check"......tapped on the window and woke him up and smelled the booze.

He had contacted a lawyer that said she could probably get him off because the borrowed canoe was in the mud and not loaded up so showed no intent to drive.....but....he chose to plead guilty to the clash b misdemeanor first offense that the da offered (his bac was so high he was charged with felony aggravated dwi)...went into rehab and the rest is history. Hes doing very well.

12. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

Probably has just as much chance getting one of those...

13. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

Good to hear he’s doing well, lawyer probably could have too it seems logical. Father got pinched going up a wrong way. Sugar was way off and between the booze and that he was pretty messed up, didn’t know about his sugar til then. He quit drinking shortly after but that incident but it led to my parents divorce. Unfortunately he passed in April, but he stayed sober for 12 years.

whacko likes this.
  14. Griffin

Griffin

Crazy than a box of spiders and hot asf. At the court hearing, the judge looks at her, then looks at me, then looks back at her, then gives me a look like "ok kid I get it, I'd put up with her crazy ass too"

pinefd and Boston4567 like this.
  15. Griffin

Griffin

Good to know

16. whacko

whacko

For every hot as hell drop dead gorgeous woman on earth......there is at least one man that is sick of her shit.

xjma99 likes this.
  17. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

If you ate a full blown DUI conviction in MA after late May of 94 you're done for life with guns in the US, most smart people don't blow, get an attorney and CWOF out but not sure if thats what happened to you or not. Your only hope at that point would be getting an attorney to examine the case and potentially get it reopened and dumped, but that kind of thing is exceedingly rare (although not impossible. ).

-Mike

AHM likes this.
  18. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

When did this change? I was under the impression that expungement doesn't exist at all, in any form, in MA, at least not in the sense of "a legal proceeding which ones history is reviewed and the
    sins are absolved based on a combination of factors and time".

-Mike

AHM likes this.
  19. whacko

whacko

I know for a fact that mass has "lifetime lookback" in dwi. An "acquaintance" of mine (older feller) got pinched for a dwi a couple years ago.....it was considered his 3rd offense. His last dwi......1984! He had to spend a shit ton of cash with a lawyer to avoid the jail time that comes with a 3rd offense in ma.

Mass has dwi as a permanent record. A person may file to remove it but only after 10 years and I hear that is quite a battle.

20. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

It wasn't all that long ago, I wish I could remember the MGL, I'll look it up tonight. I went through it pretty carefully hoping it might have something I could use with my CWOF, no luck there. It has a lot of limitations, a lot of offences are a no or have a time requirement. It's mostly for juvi stuff but there is a little for adults. If nothing else it's a foot in the door for adding more expungement later.

21. ADC

ADC NES Member

At the risk of not remembering correctly, I believe in RE to DWI, has to do with the possible sentence. MA at some point upped the DWI sentence to 2.5 years. Not sure the wording, it is the 2.5 years that gets you. NH DWI is 2 years. The federal guideline uses 2.5 years and up as the mark.

DWI in NH ... no problem. DWI in MA, problem.

Doesn't matter where you get drunk, matters where you get caught.
    Wish I could remember the year MA changed the sentence guidelines. DWI in MA before the law changed shouldn't prohibit you Federally. The Chiefs view on suitability? Another story.

I am working in TX till early July and all my material on this is back in MA.

If any of this needs correcting, feel free to jump in. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

22. teamRR

teamRR

Best bet always talk to a lawyer. For a lot of things NH has an Annulment process that can both restore gun rights and prevent confusion if someone doing the check happens to misinterrpret a record or statue (ie if its annulled you are not a PP based on that conviction no matter what)...

My not legal advise is if its not a felony (ie a NH 1 year max misdeamenor conviction) no issue in NH or federally but if MA knows about it, which they probably do even if annulled, then an LTC is at someones discretion - still better if annulled as it gives them a reason to overlook it...

Not sure if a DWI can be annulled but I feel like it probably can.

23. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

True, but IIRC the feds decided not to prosecute people for state-approved possession of MJ. So not likely.

Probably a CWOF in that case.

I was told that some limited ways of expunging some convictions was part of the criminal law reform a few years ago. I don't have anything more specific on it.

24. KVX

KVX

25. ADC

ADC NES Member

26. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

Yes it was. Got the dui in 06 and applied in 2011 and got it.

27. KVX

KVX

Expunged is different from Sealing.....

28. Sevenrats

Sevenrats

I have a buddy who has a battery charge from when he was in a fight when he was 19 years old. Even though he has had a LTC for 25 years, the last time he tried to renew he was denied because they added all the old records to the the computer data base.

29. jron

jron NES Member

All lawful purposes, but the DUI I believe is a no go. However my old boss had an FID card with a drug charge.

30. APR28

APR28

Time to learn MMA and wear Tapout shirts

xjma99 likes this.