Questions about getting gun license in lowell ma

So good news is hes not federally a pp to start with.

Unbievable......if he lived in nh.....literally 8 miles north of his house.....he'd already be able to own a shotgun to hunt with.

Mass sucks

Mass does, indeed, suck. Thank democrat one-party rule for too long.

It could be worse....he could be in Lowell or another traditionally very red town

Mass does, indeed, suck. Thank democrat one-party rule for too long.

It could be worse....he could be in Lowell or another traditionally very red town
He's in a green town.

I'm going to tell him to contact a fire arms attorney and pony up the money for a consultation before applying. He took the safety course already and is planning on calling for an apt to apply......my advice to him is going to be to put on the brakes and call an attorney for a consult first.

Ok so long time listener first time caller.. I work as a transport agent for a medical marijuana grow and dispensary and I'm looking to get an unrestricted gun license for safety. I have a dui from 8 years ago, and a restraining order from 2 years ago in which expired after a year of no contact. (We broke up and she wouldn't give back some of my belongings so she made false claims against me. I showed up and told the judge I just wanted my belongings back and that he could give her a restraining for all I care because I have no desire to see or contact her again and that's what he did. Is that going to hinder me in any way? Also as far writing the essay letter , should I say that I move hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of weed and money every day or just state that I want it for all lawful purposes, to protect my myself and family and that I'm an avid camper and hike and go into desolate remote areas and would feel safer carrying in case something should arise? It's a lot I know but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

giphy.gif

If the DUI was a CWOF in MA, you have a chance. If it was a "guilty" then you are a Federally Prohibited Person and can never touch a gun or ammo in this lifetime.

MGL requires that you be "eligible for a LTC" in order to possess chemical sprays, so if the above is a problem, the OP can't have that either.
Len, this goes far beyond MA law. This guy wants to be armed while openly violating federal drug laws. If the locals can't arrest him for possession/distribution of a federally banned substance, one quick call to the nearest DEA field office will do. Toss in a firearm, even a single-shot .22 rifle or .410 squirrel shotgun and now he is facing enhanced penalties as an armed federal drug felon. Not worth the risk of federal prison. The Lowell licensing officer will be doing him a big favor by showing him the door.

12-14 years ago, had no issue renewing in another town a few years ago.
My brothers dwi has been more of a blessing than a curse. The day he was arrested is his sobriety date. He had been on the wagon for awhile and the day he got pinched he bought a bottle of vodka and borrowed my old town canoe to go fishing. He paddled around fishing and got sloshed.......pulled my canoe up on the mud bank......decided driving home was a bad idea and slept it off in the cab of his truck......engine on heater running.....it was early April. Cop stopped by and saw him sleeping and did a "welfare check"......tapped on the window and woke him up and smelled the booze.

He had contacted a lawyer that said she could probably get him off because the borrowed canoe was in the mud and not loaded up so showed no intent to drive.....but....he chose to plead guilty to the clash b misdemeanor first offense that the da offered (his bac was so high he was charged with felony aggravated dwi)...went into rehab and the rest is history. Hes doing very well.

My brothers dwi has been more of a blessing than a curse. The day he was arrested is his sobriety date. He had been on the wagon for awhile and the day he got pinched he bought a bottle of vodka and borrowed my old town canoe to go fishing. He paddled around fishing and got sloshed.......pulled my canoe up on the mud bank......decided driving home was a bad idea and slept it off in the cab of his truck......engine on heater running.....it was early April. Cop stopped by and saw him sleeping and did a "welfare check"......tapped on the window and woke him up and smelled the booze.

He had contacted a lawyer that said she could probably get him off because the borrowed canoe was in the mud and not loaded up so showed no intent to drive.....but....he chose to plead guilty to the clash b misdemeanor first offense that the da offered (his bac was so high he was charged with felony aggravated dwi)...went into rehab and the rest is history. Hes doing very well.
Good to hear he’s doing well, lawyer probably could have too it seems logical. Father got pinched going up a wrong way. Sugar was way off and between the booze and that he was pretty messed up, didn’t know about his sugar til then. He quit drinking shortly after but that incident but it led to my parents divorce. Unfortunately he passed in April, but he stayed sober for 12 years.

Crazy than a box of spiders and hot asf. At the court hearing, the judge looks at her, then looks at me, then looks back at her, then gives me a look like "ok kid I get it, I'd put up with her crazy ass too"
For every hot as hell drop dead gorgeous woman on earth......there is at least one man that is sick of her shit.

Well f***. I thought after X amount of years it would show that I've learned my lesson and moved past it

If you ate a full blown DUI conviction in MA after late May of 94 you're done for life with guns in the US, most smart people don't blow, get an attorney and CWOF out but not sure if thats what happened to you or not. Your only hope at that point would be getting an attorney to examine the case and potentially get it reopened and dumped, but that kind of thing is exceedingly rare (although not impossible. ).

-Mike

Expungement in MA is relatively new and very limited, I'm not sure if it can be used for a DUI. Worth asking a lawyer. But an RO is not a conviction, so it can't be expunged, it's history is forever.

When did this change? I was under the impression that expungement doesn't exist at all, in any form, in MA, at least not in the sense of "a legal proceeding which ones history is reviewed and the
sins are absolved based on a combination of factors and time".

-Mike

When did this change? I was under the impression that expungement doesn't exist at all, in any form, in MA, at least not in the sense of "a legal proceeding which ones history is reviewed and the

-Mike
I know for a fact that mass has "lifetime lookback" in dwi. An "acquaintance" of mine (older feller) got pinched for a dwi a couple years ago.....it was considered his 3rd offense. His last dwi......1984! He had to spend a shit ton of cash with a lawyer to avoid the jail time that comes with a 3rd offense in ma.

Mass has dwi as a permanent record. A person may file to remove it but only after 10 years and I hear that is quite a battle.

-Mike
It wasn't all that long ago, I wish I could remember the MGL, I'll look it up tonight. I went through it pretty carefully hoping it might have something I could use with my CWOF, no luck there. It has a lot of limitations, a lot of offences are a no or have a time requirement. It's mostly for juvi stuff but there is a little for adults. If nothing else it's a foot in the door for adding more expungement later.

At the risk of not remembering correctly, I believe in RE to DWI, has to do with the possible sentence. MA at some point upped the DWI sentence to 2.5 years. Not sure the wording, it is the 2.5 years that gets you. NH DWI is 2 years. The federal guideline uses 2.5 years and up as the mark.

DWI in NH ... no problem. DWI in MA, problem.

Doesn't matter where you get drunk, matters where you get caught.
Wish I could remember the year MA changed the sentence guidelines. DWI in MA before the law changed shouldn't prohibit you Federally. The Chiefs view on suitability? Another story.

I am working in TX till early July and all my material on this is back in MA.

If any of this needs correcting, feel free to jump in. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Question

If a person was arrested and charged for aggravated DWI in NH (bac was off the chart hence the aggrevated) which if convicted is a felony......and plead guilty to 1st offense dwi in nh which is a misdemeanor and received no jail time just loss of license for 9 months and the person has clean references currently......works with rehab programs as a volunteer counselor (the dwi smartened him up) and could get references from doctors, counselors, and even the police officer that arrested him......what are the results for this?

1. Is he a fed prohibited person? Charged with felony aggravated but plead guilty to class b misdemeanor 1st offense which is punishable by 9 months loss of license and $1000 fine max.
2. It's been 5 years since the guilty plea......can he apply for an ltc or fid in mass?

He wants to start hunting with me.......its my brother. The goal is to have him start hunting so fid would be ok.....but an ltc would be better of course.

Best bet always talk to a lawyer. For a lot of things NH has an Annulment process that can both restore gun rights and prevent confusion if someone doing the check happens to misinterrpret a record or statue (ie if its annulled you are not a PP based on that conviction no matter what)...

My not legal advise is if its not a felony (ie a NH 1 year max misdeamenor conviction) no issue in NH or federally but if MA knows about it, which they probably do even if annulled, then an LTC is at someones discretion - still better if annulled as it gives them a reason to overlook it...

Not sure if a DWI can be annulled but I feel like it probably can.

Len, this goes far beyond MA law. This guy wants to be armed while openly violating federal drug laws. If the locals can't arrest him for possession/distribution of a federally banned substance, one quick call to the nearest DEA field office will do. Toss in a firearm, even a single-shot .22 rifle or .410 squirrel shotgun and now he is facing enhanced penalties as an armed federal drug felon. Not worth the risk of federal prison. The Lowell licensing officer will be doing him a big favor by showing him the door.
True, but IIRC the feds decided not to prosecute people for state-approved possession of MJ. So not likely.

12-14 years ago, had no issue renewing in another town a few years ago.
Probably a CWOF in that case.

-Mike
I was told that some limited ways of expunging some convictions was part of the criminal law reform a few years ago. I don't have anything more specific on it.

I have a buddy who has a battery charge from when he was in a fight when he was 19 years old. Even though he has had a LTC for 25 years, the last time he tried to renew he was denied because they added all the old records to the the computer data base.

Ok so long time listener first time caller.. I work as a transport agent for a medical marijuana grow and dispensary and I'm looking to get an unrestricted gun license for safety. I have a dui from 8 years ago, and a restraining order from 2 years ago in which expired after a year of no contact. (We broke up and she wouldn't give back some of my belongings so she made false claims against me. I showed up and told the judge I just wanted my belongings back and that he could give her a restraining for all I care because I have no desire to see or contact her again and that's what he did. Is that going to hinder me in any way? Also as far writing the essay letter , should I say that I move hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of weed and money every day or just state that I want it for all lawful purposes, to protect my myself and family and that I'm an avid camper and hike and go into desolate remote areas and would feel safer carrying in case something should arise? It's a lot I know but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

All lawful purposes, but the DUI I believe is a no go. However my old boss had an FID card with a drug charge.

Back
Top Bottom