Question to LEOs

Alex9661

NES Member
What's the SOP when you encounter an armed suspect? Do you command him to drop his weapon ? When I see that on TV I always think that I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of a loaded firearm being thrown on a hard surface.

Order him/her to drop the weapon. If he/she doesn't then theres going to be a problem.
Once he/she drops the weapon, order them down to the ground, hands out to the side.

Most modern weapons have safety's so that if it is thrown to the ground it is not going to go off.

Is it okay for the guy to gently put his gun down?

If it were me, I wouldn't want to scratch the gun [laugh]

LEO: "Put the weapon down NOW!"

ME: "Um... Can I set it down nicely? This thing cost me $XXXX.XX!!!" [wink]

If I was the officer I'd probably plug you just for being so anal. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

you will only have to do that once Obama bans all guns, and they do waves of confiscation attacks [thinking]

+1

This happened to a friend of mine who was pulled over for a traffic violation, i guess he was asked to step out wherein he told the LEO he had a gun, the officer asked him to pull it out slowly and drop it out the window... apparently my buddy asked if he could just hand it to him... as far as i know the LEO complied.

If I was the officer I'd probably plug you just for being so anal. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

I knew I could count on you Dave [smile]

you will only have to do that once Obama bans all guns, and they do waves of confiscation attacks [thinking]

In such a situation... My guns would have been lost in a boating accident long before anyone comes to confiscate my toys [wink]

+1

This happened to a friend of mine who was pulled over for a traffic violation, i guess he was asked to step out wherein he told the LEO he had a gun, the officer asked him to pull it out slowly and drop it out the window... apparently my buddy asked if he could just hand it to him... as far as i know the LEO complied.

I think I would have done the exact same thing as your friend.

LEO: "Pull it out slowly and drop it out the window..."

ME: "Yeahhhhh.... I'm going to have to pass on that one, thanks. I'm just going to go ahead and hand it to you, mmmkay?" (a la Office Space) [laugh]

Last edited:
haha no way I would throw or drop my gun to the ground. I would hope no LEO would command do this. Just because most guns will not fire when dropped doesn't mean they all won't

Like Hanwei said, guns are expensive I would not want to scratch it either [laugh]

Here's something that bugs me on the few occasions when I watch Cops or similar. There's this
Once he/she drops the weapon, order them down to the ground, hands out to the side.

and they say "to the ground" even if it's not the ground, but a floor of some kind. If they come into my office and "get on the ground", I'm going want to ask if we are taking the elevator or the stairs.

In any such event, I'm sure I'd comply but there really is a risk in being so imprecise. Any one (like me) who uses words precisely is wondering what you're taking about.

Same thing with a cop asking "anything in your car I'm interested in." Well, damn, how do I know? I'm sure you may be "interested in" a legally-owned handgun, but it's not clear you have right to know. Do I know if you are interested in a box of .22LR in the absence of a gun? If I'm stone cold sober and there's a six-pack in the car, are you interested?

haha no way I would throw or drop my gun to the ground. I would hope no LEO would command do this. Just because most guns will not fire when dropped doesn't mean they all won't

Like Hanwei said, guns are expensive I would not want to scratch it either [laugh]
In such situations, if you are lucky the police will give you about 10 seconds to comply before they start shooting. Trying to engage a police officer in a debate, when he has his gun pointed at you and is repeatedly screaming "DROP THE GUN!" is unlikely to be successful.

In such situations, if you are lucky the police will give you about 10 seconds to comply before they start shooting. Trying to engage a police officer in a debate, when he has his gun pointed at you and is repeatedly screaming "DROP THE GUN!" is unlikely to be successful.

I am just saying if any LEO orders someone to literally "drop" a gun on the ground is not only endangering the lives of the person they are asking to drop the gun, themselves, and anyone around.

SOP should be hands in the air and place the gun on the ground. If they have reason to believe the person is that much of a threat then just start shooting I guess.

It depends on the situation. If they are called to a scene where someone is holding a gun and acting in a threatening manner should be handled different than say if you were concealed carrying and someone happened to see your weapon and called cops. I still say physically dropping the gun is just asking for an AD.

Last edited:
Here is a bigger question. Why is a LEO asking a law abiding citizen with a valid license (assumption there) to drop their weapon and get on the ground????

It can always be worse. A few years back my brother and his buddies (6 people total) were riding their motorcycles in I-81 when a young state police officer pulled them over. He asked for everyone's driver's license. One of the members had a concealed handgun along with a permit and gave the concealed handgun permit to the officer along with his driver's license and informed the officer that he had a handgun.

Well, the officer flipped out. He unholstered his gun and ordered all six to the ground while calling for back up (on the side of I-81). When two other state police officers arrived, they told everyone to get off the ground, gave them their driver's licenses back and sent them on their way.

So you can't count on any SOP as no such thing exists. If they had refused to obey this guy or tried to discuss options with him, I fully believe he would have opened fire.

Jon, I know they have a reason to be worried about criminals with guns. But if you present your valid license, what is the issue? I'm not saying that they shouldn't be on guard, but don't treat the person like a criminal! The problem we have here in this area is that everyone is taught "guns are bad", "guns kill people", and anyone with a gun is up to no good. You go to the southwest, midwest, or south and they don't care. You're probably the 10th guy they pulled over that day with a legal gun!

OK.
You stop an armed intruder in your home with a firearm. You call the police. The police arrive and you're standing over him with a firearm in your hand.

Do you really expect the officer to call a time out to check your license?

OK.
You stop an armed intruder in your home with a firearm. You call the police. The police arrive and you're standing over him with a firearm in your hand.

Do you really expect the officer to call a time out to check your license?

Didn't someone get shot for that? I seem to recall that being in the news in the past few months. He tried suing the department and they said he had no standing as the officer followed procedure or something to that effect.

I think it is well established that officers have a right to "secure" you and your possessions for their own protection. How they choose to do this varies from situation to situation.

Frankly, I would rather throw my gun out the window instead of having him pull his gun on me, order me to the ground, cuff me and then remove the gun himself.

Frankly, I would rather throw my gun out the window instead of having him pull his gun on me, order me to the ground, cuff me and then remove the gun himself.

I'm going to guess that 100 times out of 100, if you're ordered to throw a gun out the window, the LEO's gun is already pointed in your direction and he/she intends for you to end up on the ground.

So I guess this raises the question, should we all start to carry disposable, unloaded guns for just this occasion, just as some people carry the "throwaway $20" in a moneyclip to make the mugger happy? I mean, that way, our nice guns won't get scratched....[grin]

Well, I'm talking about a normal traffic stop here (not swirving, driving to endanger, etc.). If I had to subdue someone in my home, I would have my wife call the police, ensure she tells them I am armed, and have her watch for the cruiser. Once they got to the door I would have her call to me so I can holster my firearm.

I'm going to guess that 100 times out of 100, if you're ordered to throw a gun out the window, the LEO's gun is already pointed in your direction and he/she intends for you to end up on the ground.

Not so sure about this. Many would undoubtedly have their hand on their sidearm, but the actual LEO's will have to comment whether or not they remove their gun and point at said driver who has one concealed without other mitigating factors being present.

I am just saying if any LEO orders someone to literally "drop" a gun on the ground is not only endangering the lives of the person they are asking to drop the gun, themselves, and anyone around.

SOP should be hands in the air and place the gun on the ground. If they have reason to believe the person is that much of a threat then just start shooting I guess.
What the police SOP should or should not be is an interesting internet debate. But not very relevant if you find yourself in that situation.

If a police officer is screaming at you to drop your gun, I strongly suggest that you drop it. If you hesitate, he may well shoot. If you try to convince him that you should slowly place the gun on the ground, in the midst of his adrenalin dump he may not hear you, or he may hear you but misunderstand you. That's not the time or place to convince him that his SOP and training is wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom