Question regarding sale of an FAL stripped receiver

I have a stripped never build upon FAL receiver I was thinking of selling.

Would it have to go to a LTC A holder or would a LTC B be ok also?

In theory since it was never built as a rifle or pistol, it could legally be built as a pistol (Yes some people have made FAL Pistols) in accordance with federal law if I recall correctly. This has me leaning to an LTC A requirement as does this thread http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/56140-AR-Lower-recievers-over-state-lines?highlight=stripped%20lower I found when searching for an answer.

On the other hand, even if someone wished to build an FAL pistol I don't believe they could ever make it to pass the 50oz weight limit rule here in MA (receiver alone weighs 26.25 oz), thus I am thinking that LTC B would be ok.

Any thoughts or input?

Thanks

JD

Last edited:
The buyer doesn't legally need to have a license.

As for LTC-A vs LTC-B:

LTC-A - high cap pistols
LTC-B - high cap long guns, low cap pistols

Under Massachusetts law, a receiver by itself doesn't constitute a firearm; it's nothing more than a part. Neither the purchaser nor the seller needs any sort of license, nor is any paperwork required. Once it gets completed, an FA10 should be filed for registration. Interstate transfers fall under federal law, in which case it is treated exactly the same as a completed firearm, with an FFL holder required to do the transfer.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom