• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question regarding MA Basic Hunting Course test

Taking the MA basic hunting course test this Saturday so I can obtain my hunting license.

The "master" instructor has given us very little regarding what will be on the test and what we should study to prepare for it - other than the ten golden rules.

Can anyone provide some suggestions or input?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did attempt to search the forum for an answer first, and did not come up with any matches - doesn't mean they ain't there, just probably that I suck at searches...

Here is a sample hunter education test. It is not specific to MA. Clicking on MA link on bottom of page does not get more specific to MA. They want your email if you want to know how you scored. You can click through the questions without providing your email just to see what they look like. I did not have to take the test as I had previous licenses so I do not have personal experience with it. It has been said that a 12 year old could pass it... Good luck.
White Feather
http://hunterssafetyeducation.com/hunter-safety-course-practice-test-online/

Questions are typically stuff like this:

Q: Your hunting partner is standing between you and your dream buck. Do you:

A) Shoot past your hunting partner
B) Shoot through your hunting partner
C) Tell him to hit the deck and shoot over him
D) Not take a shot

As long as you paid attention in class to things like minimum distances, legal hunting hours, and the bit where they tell you to not shoot if you're not 100% certain you won't hit anything but an animal you're legal to take and capable of humanely killing, you should be all set.

D) Not take a shot

As long as you paid attention in class to things like minimum distances, legal hunting hours, and the bit where they tell you to not shoot if you're not 100% certain you won't hit anything but an animal you're legal to take and capable of humanely killing, you should be all set.

Yes, I pay attention, take notes, etc. Because of my focus I know the answer to the question is *obviously* B - jeesh.[wink]

if you paid attention in class, you'll have no problem

yup.

D) Not take a shot

[rofl]

I remember the questions being based verbatim on the text: Should you shoot a skylined animal, in which direction should a barrel be cleaned, proper site picture? Like Mr. Happy said, pay attention to the book and the key words in the questions, eliminate the stupid distractors and you will be fine. The test wasn't timed.

Didn't they give you the workbook?

My 11 year old passed it............Rest easy.

Yes, they gave us the workbook. However, the class content was almost completely different than the workbook. For example, last Saturday's four hour class consisted of:

- Grainy survival movies from the late '70s/early '80s ("Bob was found four days later burned beyond recognition by the relentless desert sun," or, "Jim was found 5 minutes from a logging road. He had four fingers, seven toes, and foot removed due to frost bite.")

- Four stations around the classroom: This is a pump action shot gun, here's how you load and unload it. Repeat for Lever action, break action, semi-auto, bolt.

- Quiz on the ten golden rules.

Additionally, I'd estimate 60% of the book does not apply to the basic hunter course.

Back
Top Bottom